Anybody collect DS games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TyronW

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by TyronW » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:40 am

Evermore wrote:I never got on all that well with the DS. It was fun to begin with, and I have enjoyed several games for it quite a bit, but the system's lack of power and D-pad controls were a problem for me when it can to 3D games on it. I think the system is great for puzzlers and 2D games that don't use the stylus.

I also don't think that Ninty supported it all that well. They knocked out several games for it, but for the most part did very little. Look at all the cool games they have coming for the 3DS compared to what they put out on the DS when it was out for a year or so. Big difference.

The DS offers a huge selection of games for all varieties of play. I personally love it for the likes of Theme Park, Ninja Town and Dead 'n Furious which use the stylus. The only game I don't like with a stylus is Metroid Prime Hunter - never got on with it even with one of those thumb styluses.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:59 am

TyronW wrote:The DS offers a huge selection of games for all varieties of play. I personally love it for the likes of Theme Park, Ninja Town and Dead 'n Furious which use the stylus. The only game I don't like with a stylus is Metroid Prime Hunter - never got on with it even with one of those thumb styluses.
I haven't given Hunters enough practice with the stylus, because the button controls work well enough for me. I like the stylus more for Mario 64 but again I haven't played it enough yet to make firm judgemnt either way. Before I replaced my DS' d-pad it barely registered diagonals which made Mario 64 unplayayable with the face buttons, I haven't tried them much since the d-pad replacement but my brother says while not ideal he much prefers them to the touchscreen options.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:13 pm

I found Mario 64 DS to be absolutely fine with just the dpad (but then I had never played the original). I couldn't get the hang of the touchscreen movement no matter how many times I tried.

As for MPH, stylus control was fantastic. Obviously not ideal, but FPS games to a certain extent do work quite well with that setup.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

pratty wrote:
Evermore wrote:I never got on all that well with the DS. It was fun to begin with, and I have enjoyed several games for it quite a bit, but the system's lack of power and D-pad controls were a problem for me when it can to 3D games on it. I think the system is great for puzzlers and 2D games that don't use the stylus.

I also don't think that Ninty supported it all that well. They knocked out several games for it, but for the most part did very little. Look at all the cool games they have coming for the 3DS compared to what they put out on the DS when it was out for a year or so. Big difference.
I wasn't really following the DS in it's early life, but I by the end of it's life it has a very solid library. It definitely seems to struggle with sertain types of games such as fighters and fully 3D environemnt games, but within it's capabilities I think it delivers a lot of quality.

I've been playing some DQ9 recently, and while I'm offering it for trade that's because it is such a massive and deep RPG, that wouldn't be any less of a game on a console.

I'm not sure it's fair to say Ninty only knocked out a few games, maybe initially but in the begining what else can they do. Looking back now if you include all Ninty's franchises and developers they put out quite a lot. I was going to list them but there's literally too many, but it's seen nearly all Ninty's big franchises as well some new ones.

Now I've manged to fix my DS and remove the dead thunderbug on my top screen that was "bugging" ( :oops: ) me so much, my outlook on playing my DS has improved and I'm prepared to invest a bit more of my gaming into it. It was never the lack of quality games. I originally picked up a cheap used DS only just to play the two Zelda games, now I have around 10 games which I never planned to get.
I can accept it has some quality software - I have enjoyed Mario games on it and some RPGs, but for some reason it never properly clicked with me. I have a good few games for it, but its hard to put my finger on it..... I just don't think anything truly unique from Nintendo was put out on it that blew me away.

Some decent third party efforts though - Clash of Heroes: Might & Magic is as good as games get in my view. Meteos is superb and Ivy the Kiwi is a fun little platformer, but all in all I amn't its biggest fan. Odd when its successor, the 3DS, gives me a bit of a semi :shock: :lol: I guess I just love Nintendo games in 3D, played with a control stick, apart from Metroid of course!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm not a huge DS fan but there is fun to be had. Love the Castlevania games, Ridge Racer is fun and a huge fan of Mario Kart.

Metroid Prime Hunters was great to play but the overall design is lacking. Feels a bit soulless.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:51 pm

nakamura wrote:I'm not a huge DS fan but there is fun to be had. Love the Castlevania games, Ridge Racer is fun and a huge fan of Mario Kart.

Metroid Prime Hunters was great to play but the overall design is lacking. Feels a bit soulless.
I have quite a few games for it that I haven't played much. I don't know.... I might play something for it in the next couple of days. Truth be told, I don't have a lot of time right now for games. Even the 3DS XL hasn't been turned on much :shock:

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:53 pm

I am hardly playing much, it is too hot and it is as simple as that!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:56 pm

just ordered Devil Survivor 2

tried to find Etrian Odyssey 2 & 3 but they were way too expensive

are there other (not too expensive) great US-only DS games out there?

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:00 pm

snesfanboy wrote:just ordered Devil Survivor 2

tried to find Etrian Odyssey 2 & 3 but they were way too expensive

are there other (not too expensive) great US-only DS games out there?
There are lots of nice RPGs in the US that didn't get EU releases - there's a chap on eBay that does them based in the UK - simplesimon I think is the name of his shop. Great fellow.

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:16 am

Anyone tried Henry Hatsworth?

I found it to be a real little gem, a great mixture of puzzle and action.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:58 am

TyronW wrote:Anyone tried Henry Hatsworth?

I found it to be a real little gem, a great mixture of puzzle and action.

I've played it. I turned it on once, played it for three and a half hours, had a ball, and never played it again :shock:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:18 pm

^ That's a similar experience to mine playing it.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:15 pm

The puzzle element is great fun, and the action on the top screen is okay too, but I just wasn't compelled to return - possibly because the level designs aren't as addictive or interesting as they could be.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:16 pm

Evermore wrote:The puzzle element is great fun, and the action on the top screen is okay too, but I just wasn't compelled to return - possibly because the level designs aren't as addictive or interesting as they could be.
With all the hype the game got it was really just a big disappointment in the end. It starts out novel and intriguing, but it soon becomes apparent that the "puzzles" do get in the way of fluid platforming way way too often. The balance just isn't right.

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:27 am

Yeah, I had the same experience.

I'm simply not good at multi-tasking and got annoyed with it when it started to become more challenging...