Anybody collect DS games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Evermore

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Evermore » Thu May 24, 2012 4:28 pm

electrolite77 wrote:
Evermore wrote:I really like the DS, but there are just so many loooong games on it I can never seem to get anywhere with them! I was playing Golden Sun recently and really enjoy its combat system, only thing is its way too talky for my liking. The machine could have been doing with some more arcadey games in my view - something the 3DS has quite a lot of in proportion to its overall library, which I'm delighted about.

I have Advance Wars: Dark Conflict brand new and unplayed on my shelf, really have to play that. Didn't take to its predecessor on the DS, even though the first Advance Wars on the GBA is in my top 10 games of all time. I think the DS's first Advance Wars was badly balanced with OTT supers that made it a race to see who could activate them first, plus the campaign wasn't the best in my opinion.

This interesting thread has reminded me anyway that I need to go back and play some of my DS games.

I agree with your criticism of Dual Strike but thankfully Dark Conflict is far, far better and doesn't suffer from the same problem re. the powers
Good news then. I'm not playing a lot at the minute, but I think I will give it the time it deserves over the summer. I probably won't put it down knowing me and come on here going on about how good it is and how I was mad not to play it ages ago!

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed May 30, 2012 7:30 am

I didn't know that this existed.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed May 30, 2012 9:10 am

For those interested in Diamond Trust of London there's an interview with the developer in the latest Nintendo World Report Connectivity podcast. http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/connectivity/30317
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 30, 2012 11:59 am

Morkin wrote:I didn't know that this existed.

It's just the two games with a card sleeve around them I think, nothing overly special but a good value purchase if you can pick it up cheaply. The USK logo leads me to think it was probably more of a continental release.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed May 30, 2012 12:45 pm

pratty wrote:For those interested in Diamond Trust of London there's an interview with the developer in the latest Nintendo World Report Connectivity podcast. http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/connectivity/30317
Nice one. :D Looking forward to getting my copy.
Megamixer wrote:
It's just the two games with a card sleeve around them I think, nothing overly special but a good value purchase if you can pick it up cheaply. The USK logo leads me to think it was probably more of a continental release.
Ah right. I've got both games, so no need to pick this up then!

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Wed May 30, 2012 4:54 pm

I just got a DSI XL, the small screens on DS Light always put me off tbh as i still found them too small for me personally when trying an rpg and reading text, but XL makes all the difference it really does. I have just started collecting really, my aim is just to collect rpg's mostly, have had Golden Sun & FF The 4 Heroes of Light (which i hear is a really tough game,) and have just ordered Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor & Valkyrie Profile. Have also got Sonic Colours, its a great game, but i'm not getting into it much surprisingly, think after playing Generations its a hard get into this one.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:28 pm

Has anybody played Go Go Cosmo Cops?

Picked it up on the cheap last week and had a quick blast through the first couple of levels. Seems alright but was wondering what other people thought about it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:39 pm

So my brothers DS Lite hinge is broke and now the top screen is floppy.

Does anyone know how much Nintendo charges for an out of warranty hinge repair?

Also does anyone have any experience with those "crystal cases" as a cheap hinge fix? Do they work, i.e. keep the top screen at the prefered angle? If so can you reccomend a case?

Cheers. :)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:46 am

I bought one of those crystal cases from Poundland a few years back. They work a treat. It's not going to protect from knocks as they shatter but as a hinge fix it should do the job. You can't really go wrong for a quid.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:43 am

nokgod wrote:I bought one of those crystal cases from Poundland a few years back. They work a treat. It's not going to protect from knocks as they shatter but as a hinge fix it should do the job. You can't really go wrong for a quid.
Cheers Nok, I'll tell him to keep an eyeout in poundland, it might do for a short term fix if nothing else, and as you say you can't really go wrong for a quid.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:59 am

I also found this clever cheap temp fix, with a rubber band of all things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWPNh4zCnOo

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:54 am

Been playing DQ9 and quite enjoying it, but I get the feeling this is going to be a long RPG, so I thought I'd offer it up for swap for one of the Kirby games on DS which I fancied trying, such as Canvas Curse/Power Paintbrush or Mass Attack.

I've been offered a Japanese copy of Canvas Curse, I just wondered if anyone here owns or has played the Japanese version. Would I be missing out on much or run into any difficulty with it being in Japanese? I've read an import review and it does say it makes unlocking items a bit of a lottery.

I must admit I prefer the Japanese box art, but I would really prefer an English copy.

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:11 am

Megamixer wrote:

Indeed it is just a cardboard sleeve that is shrink wrapped. I've not even opened mine.

** see below **

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:53 am

I never got on all that well with the DS. It was fun to begin with, and I have enjoyed several games for it quite a bit, but the system's lack of power and D-pad controls were a problem for me when it can to 3D games on it. I think the system is great for puzzlers and 2D games that don't use the stylus.

I also don't think that Ninty supported it all that well. They knocked out several games for it, but for the most part did very little. Look at all the cool games they have coming for the 3DS compared to what they put out on the DS when it was out for a year or so. Big difference.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:32 am

Evermore wrote:I never got on all that well with the DS. It was fun to begin with, and I have enjoyed several games for it quite a bit, but the system's lack of power and D-pad controls were a problem for me when it can to 3D games on it. I think the system is great for puzzlers and 2D games that don't use the stylus.

I also don't think that Ninty supported it all that well. They knocked out several games for it, but for the most part did very little. Look at all the cool games they have coming for the 3DS compared to what they put out on the DS when it was out for a year or so. Big difference.
I wasn't really following the DS in it's early life, but I by the end of it's life it has a very solid library. It definitely seems to struggle with sertain types of games such as fighters and fully 3D environemnt games, but within it's capabilities I think it delivers a lot of quality.

I've been playing some DQ9 recently, and while I'm offering it for trade that's because it is such a massive and deep RPG, that wouldn't be any less of a game on a console.

I'm not sure it's fair to say Ninty only knocked out a few games, maybe initially but in the begining what else can they do. Looking back now if you include all Ninty's franchises and developers they put out quite a lot. I was going to list them but there's literally too many, but it's seen nearly all Ninty's big franchises as well some new ones.

Now I've manged to fix my DS and remove the dead thunderbug on my top screen that was "bugging" ( :oops: ) me so much, my outlook on playing my DS has improved and I'm prepared to invest a bit more of my gaming into it. It was never the lack of quality games. I originally picked up a cheap used DS only just to play the two Zelda games, now I have around 10 games which I never planned to get.