Anybody collect DS games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

cruachan

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by cruachan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:57 am

Mr Vengeance - Have you tried the Xtra-Deal shop at The Square, Tallaght. Its packed with oads of game bargains, just before Xmas I picked up sealed copies of GBA Pokemons etc. Lots of DS tites. And get this - 8 sealed PS2 network adapters - €2 each, sold on ebay in 1 lot for €320 :-)

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:12 am

cruachan wrote:Mr Vengeance - Have you tried the Xtra-Deal shop at The Square, Tallaght. Its packed with oads of game bargains, just before Xmas I picked up sealed copies of GBA Pokemons etc. Lots of DS tites.
Awesome mate, I'll check it out, thanks ;)

cruachan wrote:And get this - 8 sealed PS2 network adapters - €2 each, sold on ebay in 1 lot for €320 :-)
:shock:

I think me has discovered a rival here for picking up stuff in Dublin :lol: I think in fairness you have long surpassed me though - I suppose I was taken out of "the wild" market having bought a Neo Geo and pretty much sinking all my games money into that for a year or so. I really haven't been on the ball since if truth be told, though I think now I'm going to be on the look-out for some more games in the future at local level, and try and not buy as much from eBay if I can.

I used to work in game shops and would pretty much pick up everything good that came in or was reduced. Sadly I think this is where most of the rare stuff goes - the lads in the shops get it, which is fair enough when you consider the wages they get and the stick they have to put up with from their managers.
Nintendo DS games: 41

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:19 am

Well....that shop opened up before Xmas and was abviously getting rid of stock that sat in an Xtravision warehouse for years. I missed out on a box of un-opened N-Gage phones they were flogging for something like €10 I think!!!!

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:28 am

Bloody Nora! :shock: :lol:

Good old Xtra Vision, you can get the odd nice bargain inside with them. This shop sounds super though, going to check it out shortly so I am....

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:30 am

Its on level 3 next door to GAME - there is also a GAMESTOP on level 2

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:46 am

Really? There's all that over there in the Square? I haven't bee nover there in ages, ususally just go to Dundrum and Liffey Valley the odd time. Think a trip over there is on the cards this weekend ;) Cheers mate :)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:34 am

Mr Vengeance wrote:
Rayne wrote:If you want mate I'll keep my eyes peeled for Fire Emblem & Castlevania, coulda sworn I saw copies of these locally.
Nice one buddy, if you see a new copy of Fire Emblem then let me know please! I've even got my sister on the hunt for one for me in Cork City at the very south of the country (she works there).

Castlevania however, I can get the third one locally, but I'm not sure if I want it to be honest. I didn't get on too well with the second one if truth be told....
Fire Emblem it is then.

You should keep an eye on your local Blockbuster, I've had some gems in there. The World Ends With You for a fiver, a couple of FF games as well as Lost In Blue & Rune Factory for about 8 quid each

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:58 am

Rayne wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:
Rayne wrote:If you want mate I'll keep my eyes peeled for Fire Emblem & Castlevania, coulda sworn I saw copies of these locally.
Nice one buddy, if you see a new copy of Fire Emblem then let me know please! I've even got my sister on the hunt for one for me in Cork City at the very south of the country (she works there).

Castlevania however, I can get the third one locally, but I'm not sure if I want it to be honest. I didn't get on too well with the second one if truth be told....
Fire Emblem it is then.

You should keep an eye on your local Blockbuster, I've had some gems in there. The World Ends With You for a fiver, a couple of FF games as well as Lost In Blue & Rune Factory for about 8 quid each
I don't think we have Blockbusters anymore here in Ireland. We have a crappy chain of video rentals called Xtra-Vision - bless them, they've been in and out of administration for years.....

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:10 pm

To Rayne's house!

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:02 pm

Had a few plays of the games I bought yesterday this even as a reward for adding another 1k words to my never ending dissertation. censored excellent.

Big Bang Mini is weird and censored - basic as censored and like a bit of an early DS tech demo, but the simple, fun gameplay is addictive and you can't go wrong with it for a mere seven bobs.

Space Invaders Extreme 2 is class stuff though :shock: These pair of revamps got critical acclaim all over the shop, and they fully deserve it judging on the super gaming experience I just had on it there this evening. Alright its not Ikaruga or DoDonPachi or anything, but on a handheld this kinda thing works a treat. I love all these music-y shoot-y puzzle-y kinda games, me on the portables - stuff like Every Extend Extra, Gitaroo Man Lives!, Meteos, etc - colourful, fun accessible and deep, kind games you just gotta love on a handheld! :D

Haven't unsealed my copy of Advance Wars: DC yet though - no point yet playing that when I'm playing so much of Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

I'm going to bang on with the DS collecting anyway I think - I suppose I have dabbled a lot with various consoles this year, like the Dreamcast, SNES and Saturn, buying games for those, but for me right now the DS makes for vastly better collecting fodder than those cause I can get the games locally, they are often very cheap, I love handheld stuff and the quality of the games is very very high - plus I can still get games new for it. So thats me then - an effing DS collector more or less officially :mrgreen:

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:25 pm

I don't set out to "collect", I just buy the games that I think I'll like - If you like adventure games then I can highly recommend the Phoenix Wright series. Stated off with a fairly low distribution but then it took off in popularity. There's now 5 games in the series, all are worth playing through.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:Big Bang Mini is weird and censored - basic as censored and like a bit of an early DS tech demo, but the simple, fun gameplay is addictive and you can't go wrong with it for a mere seven bobs.
I loved the demo of that, thought the control scheme and gameplay was really well done. Shame I NEVER saw a copy of it...EVER :x
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:Big Bang Mini is weird and censored - basic as censored and like a bit of an early DS tech demo, but the simple, fun gameplay is addictive and you can't go wrong with it for a mere seven bobs.
I loved the demo of that, thought the control scheme and gameplay was really well done. Shame I NEVER saw a copy of it...EVER :x
7 Euro new in my local GAME - cart had been on the shelf for months. HMV also had a sealed "pre-owned" copy of it too the other day for 12, so try looking for it there if you have a HMV near you. Good little game.
RetroBob wrote:I don't set out to "collect", I just buy the games that I think I'll like - If you like adventure games then I can highly recommend the Phoenix Wright series. Stated off with a fairly low distribution but then it took off in popularity. There's now 5 games in the series, all are worth playing through.
I usually have one system on the go at any one time as my "primary", and I just buy whatever I want on the others. For example, I bought a Gamecube game a few weeks back, an Xbox 360 game, a SNES one..... but I have been looking at focusing on one nintendo machine lately, having been focused on Sega quite a lot this year and SNK last. DS seemed the obvious choice for me really now that I think about it. There's even the benefit of the fact that I can buy games for it unsealed new in shops - Itend to not buy discs based games in shops unsealed new because they get buggered in the drawers usually.

I really like the DS anyway, I used to play it a lot but got bored I suppose. Arriving back to it now after a few years, there seems to have been so many great games released in the meantime - I'm going to have great fun aquiring them I think!

Oh, and Inever played any of the Phoenix Wright games - should I start at the beginning or buy the latest one? They're definately on my list, along with CLash of Heroes, Infinite Space and Mario & Luigi.

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Tue May 11, 2010 7:18 am

How did you get on in the square?

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue May 11, 2010 8:40 am

I've kept trying to collect for my DS but I just can't get hyped for it...not sure why :? I've got a bunch of RPG's but there's not much on the platform that really excites me.