Anybody collect DS games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Flint
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:18 am

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Flint » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:38 pm

I didn't realise Radiant Historia had been re-printed, hopefully I'll be able to afford now. This just reminds me why I'm pissed off at Nintendo region-locking the 3DS .

Okamiden is in stock at Amazon for £16, I hoped that would be worth a larger chunk of money in years to come, oh well.

pratty
Posts: 5624
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by pratty » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Flint wrote:This just reminds me why I'm pissed off at Nintendo region-locking the 3DS .
Not sure if you're referring to North American region DS games on a Euro 3DS here, but if you are I can tell you North American DS games will work on any 3DS.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Morkin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:32 am

Think I might have a taste of this one in June.
Feudal Japanese Pokémon spin-off Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition has been granted a US release under a new name: Pokémon Conquest.

Developed for the DS by Tecmo Koei, Conquest sees players take on the role of a young warlord in a kingdom full of Pokémon.

It's a crossover with the little-known Nobunga's Ambition series, a historical strategy RPG franchise existing since 1983 but virtually unheard of outside of Japan.

Set in a land inspired by the Japanese feudal era, players progress and battle with their Pokémon in up to six-on-six team-based brawls.

Conquest features over 200 of the titular critters for players to collect from all generations of the saga, including the most recent Black and White games.

There's been no word on a European release as yet. Nintendo told Eurogamer this afternoon it had "nothing to announce at this time" regarding the possibility.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... med-for-us

User avatar
hydr0x
Posts: 2164
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by hydr0x » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:47 am

Great news, was so hoping this would come to the west, and I don't even like Pokémon :lol:
Image

User avatar
dste
Posts: 7113
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by dste » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Are the Mana games any good on the DS?
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

User avatar
GigaPepsiMan
Posts: 2692
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:23 am

dste wrote:Are the Mana games any good on the DS?
Chridren of Mana is ok if a little bit too repetitive, lots of hack and slashing in it, has local multiplayer of you can find another person who owns the game.
Heroes of Mana reviewed better but I can't stand really slow RTS games so I traded it in and got lock's quest.

User avatar
Evermore
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Evermore » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:02 am

I really like the DS, but there are just so many loooong games on it I can never seem to get anywhere with them! I was playing Golden Sun recently and really enjoy its combat system, only thing is its way too talky for my liking. The machine could have been doing with some more arcadey games in my view - something the 3DS has quite a lot of in proportion to its overall library, which I'm delighted about.

I have Advance Wars: Dark Conflict brand new and unplayed on my shelf, really have to play that. Didn't take to its predecessor on the DS, even though the first Advance Wars on the GBA is in my top 10 games of all time. I think the DS's first Advance Wars was badly balanced with OTT supers that made it a race to see who could activate them first, plus the campaign wasn't the best in my opinion.

This interesting thread has reminded me anyway that I need to go back and play some of my DS games.

User avatar
dste
Posts: 7113
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by dste » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:55 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:
dste wrote:Are the Mana games any good on the DS?
Chridren of Mana is ok if a little bit too repetitive, lots of hack and slashing in it, has local multiplayer of you can find another person who owns the game.
Heroes of Mana reviewed better but I can't stand really slow RTS games so I traded it in and got lock's quest.
Hmmm, might hold off on getting them anytime soon then.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

User avatar
Flint
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:18 am

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Flint » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:53 am

pratty wrote:
Flint wrote:This just reminds me why I'm pissed off at Nintendo region-locking the 3DS .
Not sure if you're referring to North American region DS games on a Euro 3DS here, but if you are I can tell you North American DS games will work on any 3DS.
I just meant that there's sure to be some great 3DS games that make it too America but not to Europe, only this time we won't be able to import them.

Has anybody played Giana Sisters? I've seen it mentioned two days in a row so am now thinking about buying it if I can find it cheap enough.

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Morkin » Fri May 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Update on Diamond Trust of London.

Although it was originally slated to arrive in "summer 2010" and then in the second half of 2011, indie developer Jason Rohrer's Diamond Trust of London is yet to see the light of day.

Good news, though, folks: Rohrer's DS strategy title is now "finished, approved by Nintendo, and ready to be manufactured into cartridges". That, naturally, requires bountiful amounts of that green stuff that's often referred to as 'cash'.

Facing Nintendo's "large manufacturing minimum", the game's developer has taken to crowdfunding website Kickstarter to raise the necessary wonga.

Pledge your allegiance

Diamond Trust of London's first run will be a limited edition release, with only 1,000 units made available - all of which will arrive signed, numbered, and housing "very special items inside the package". You'll have to pledge at least $55 to get your hands on one of these around August.

Pledge $35 or more, and you'll get a regular boxed copy of the game around a month later in September.

In case you've forgotten, Diamond Trust of London is a turn-based, simultaneous-decision strategy title that sees two players battle it out to amass diamonds over eight in-game months. We've been hands-on with it, so be sure to check that out before you leave.

Via Pocketgamer.co.uk
Going to pledge for the limited edition release.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/144 ... -of-london

User avatar
Flint
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:18 am

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Flint » Fri May 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Pledge $10,000 or more:

"A hand-crafted Diamond Trust of London mega archive box containing a huge collection of artifacts that is yet even more f************g than what is in the previous reward, PLUS special funding credit on the back of the box, PLUS two boxed copies of the limited edition, AND one of your copies will have a super-low sequence number (in the range #2 to #5). AND all of it HAND DELIVERED to you in your town anywhere in the world by masterminds Jason Rohrer and Tom Bailey. You will get an anonymous letter telling you to go to a particular pay phone at a particular time and await further instructions..."

User avatar
Roo
Posts: 2044
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:29 am

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Roo » Fri May 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Bollocks to that. I played their last DSiWare output: I'll give them a £1.80 eShop download - after a demo which I've played and liked - for what they're offering.

I'd hope $10,000 would buy me a starring role in New Super Mario Bros. 2, not a shoebox of this indie wank.
Image

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Morkin » Wed May 23, 2012 2:04 pm

And they've reached their goal with 3 days to go.

electrolite77
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by electrolite77 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:35 am

Evermore wrote:I really like the DS, but there are just so many loooong games on it I can never seem to get anywhere with them! I was playing Golden Sun recently and really enjoy its combat system, only thing is its way too talky for my liking. The machine could have been doing with some more arcadey games in my view - something the 3DS has quite a lot of in proportion to its overall library, which I'm delighted about.

I have Advance Wars: Dark Conflict brand new and unplayed on my shelf, really have to play that. Didn't take to its predecessor on the DS, even though the first Advance Wars on the GBA is in my top 10 games of all time. I think the DS's first Advance Wars was badly balanced with OTT supers that made it a race to see who could activate them first, plus the campaign wasn't the best in my opinion.

This interesting thread has reminded me anyway that I need to go back and play some of my DS games.

I agree with your criticism of Dual Strike but thankfully Dark Conflict is far, far better and doesn't suffer from the same problem re. the powers

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:29 am

Just posted pics up on RetroCollect so i may as well show them here too! :D
Not too bad for three months' work I think.
Image
Image
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests