Anybody collect DS games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pratty

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by pratty » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Anybody made one of these?

Nintendo DS Soft Stylus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loxZc9S19J0

It's basically a DS stylus with a cutton bud tip. I was skeptical about the accuracy of the thing but the guy in the vid seemed to write decently with it, still it might not be accurate enough for some games and maybe a bit too big, but quite an ingenius idea none the less. I might give it a go.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:10 am

pratty wrote:Anybody made one of these?

Nintendo DS Soft Stylus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loxZc9S19J0

It's basically a DS stylus with a cutton bud tip. I was skeptical about the accuracy of the thing but the guy in the vid seemed to write decently with it, still it might not be accurate enough for some games and maybe a bit too big, but quite an ingenius idea none the less. I might give it a go.
So today I made one from an old thrird party stylus.

It's not too bad, the down side is it lacks the fine precision of a normal stylus and it leaves little strands of fluff on the screen. Also with the extra softness you have to press a little firmer. I guess it will also get dirty too so I made spare tips which I can easily can switch.

Not a bad little experiemnt, not sure I'd stick with it long term but could be useful while I'm without a screen protector.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Nice boost for my DS collection this week, except for Beetle King and 999 none of these cost more than a fiver. Very pleased about Lost in Blue 2 :mrgreen: Up to 176 DS games now, with a couple more US ones on their way to me.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Wow. Beetle King is a blast from the past. I can remember really wanting to get it, but forgot about it until now! :o Is it a regular PAL edition with English manual etc? Where did you manage to get it from?

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Yes, it's a cross-European release with English as one of the manual/box languages. Got it from France. Quite hard to track down for acceptable prices.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Gah! I need it now! :( :lol: Not a single thing on eBay, completed or otherwise. You've now given me a headache. In the nicest sense of course. :wink:

Edit

£32 on Amazon.fr & £26 on Amazon.de. Hhm. Wonder if they ship to the UK...
Last edited by Morkin on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:28 pm

Morkin wrote:Gah! I need it now! :( :lol: Not a single thing on eBay, completed or otherwise. You've now given me a headache. In the nicest sense of course. :wink:

Edit

£32 on Amazon.fr. Hhm. Wonder if they ship to the UK...
Just to make sure: I don't think it's an adaptation of Mushiking: King of the Beetles if that's what you're hoping for.

Image Image

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Ah, I wasn't quite sure, but I've just checked Wikipedia & it appears to be a Simple DS game. There's a slightly cheaper copy on Amazon.de, so a saved eBay search is the way forward at the moment I guess. Whilst looking for this game, I've also found Beetle Junior DS. There must be dozens & dozens of games that I've never even heard of before. :o

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Morkin wrote:Ah, I wasn't quite sure, but I've just checked Wikipedia & it appears to be a Simple DS game. There's a slightly cheaper copy on Amazon.de, so a saved eBay search is the way forward at the moment I guess. Whilst looking for this game, I've also found Beetle Junior DS. There must be dozens & dozens of games that I've never even heard of before. :o
With over 2000 DS games out there that's hardly a surprise. Beetle Junior is a Boulder Dash clone iirc. No idea if it's any good though.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:50 am

And another game I've just discovered is Betty Boop's Double Shift. :o

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:57 am

I think that's a Diner Dash clone iirc. God, I'm not looking forward to classifying DS game genres for RetroCollect...

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Just got Aliens: Infestation and Radiant Historia (reprint). I'm really liking the Aliens game so far, it does remind me of the good old Metroidvania games. Still waiting for RH to arrive.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:23 am

Got myself 5 DS imports, pushing my US collection to 10 games. Unfortunately that still leaves my US wishlist at 42 titles. Quite a shame how many interesting games didn't make it to Europe :(

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:19 am

A fine selection of DS games there. :) Theresia was due a Euro release if I remember correctly but just disappeared.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:30 am

hydr0x wrote:Got myself 5 DS imports, pushing my US collection to 10 games. Unfortunately that still leaves my US wishlist at 42 titles. Quite a shame how many interesting games didn't make it to Europe :(

With the exception of radiant historia, ive never seen any of those DS games!
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!