Anybody collect DS games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:55 pm

Shinobi wrote:I picked up Castlevania Order of Ecclesia not sure if its rare but the first time I ever saw it in the wild.. Then again the Castlevania DS series you never see anywhere in Gamestatio/Game etc
saw this in a couple of Gamestations over the months, so I dont think it's that rare. Unfortunatly I paid £19.99 for my copy and the Gamestation copies I saw were a mere £4.99... :(

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:02 am

Did anyone ever buy Snk Vs Capcom Card Fighters DS? I was reading a back issue of Games TM where they were talking about the NGPC version & they mentioned the DS one which I'd completely forgotten about. I did a quick check on Metacritic & the reviews were pretty darned poor, mentioning that there was a game breaking bug in the US version which I believe was 'fixed' for the Euro release.

Looking on eBay there's hardly any copies, with a handful of new & sealed versions in Finland for £12.99. Did anyone buy the Euro release? Is it quite a rare game to come by & would you buy it for £12.99? I can't decide whether to get it or not. :?

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:55 pm

I;ve got the euro release, but only because I knew it was going to be a future rarity...

i payed £2.99 from GS for my copy, around 3 months a go. i would say £12.99 is a good price

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:50 pm

If I heard rightly (I may be wrong), Card Fighters on the DS was one of those weird games that only got a mainland European release and not a UK one. Same deal with Metal Slug 7 too I think. SNK games are notorious for being badly released no matter what format they appear on.

Or is this a Capcom-published title? I seem to recall that they themselves did a similarly strange distribution of either Megaman ZX or the Advent revision.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:06 pm

I might have already posted this, but Lock's Quest is a great tower defence/RPG crossover - though quite hard despite its cute graphics. Always seem cheap too whenever I see a copy. Well worth a play.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Now about to buy MS 7 for the missus, looks quite good to me anyway

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:11 am

I've been having a lot of fun with Mario Slam Basketball, it's very playable!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:15 am

This seems the right thread to ask....

Is Children of Mana any good? I've seen one reasonably cheap, but i haven't played a Mana game in years. Worth a pop for £8?
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:23 am

I've not played it, but the reviews are a mixed bunch.

As far as hack-n-slash RPGs go, Children of Mana is one of the best we've seen on a handheld, and for dungeon crawler addicts Square Enix has definitely hit the spot. IGN

An action RPG with the plot stripped out and replaced by pure, constant fighting and levelling-up. Sound good to you? Perhaps, but perhaps not if you're a Mana stalwart. NGamer

The combat system is nicely balanced, it's just that you'll probably be tired of it by the time you're a few hours in. Multiplayer definitely adds value, while the presentation, as noted, is absolutely beautiful. Eurogamer

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:31 pm

hmmm....well its been there a few weeks, so i'll hang on and see if they drop the price any more...cheers for the info Morkin :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Does anybody have Knights of the Knightmare? Looks good although suspect it did not get a UK release due to the price on Amazon UK.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:41 am

WarioWare Do It Yourself arrived the other day. I now have nearly 200 DS games. :oops:

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:38 am

A few recent arrivals including Resident Evil, Again & Ninja Gaiden have now pushed me over the 200 mark. :P

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:27 pm

How well does Resident Evil play, I've been looking to do it again, but cannot decide if i should play it on a tv (original, and/or Re:make on Gamecube, which will be a fight with other 'tv based' games) or either ps1on psp or the DS version (I get more chances to sit in front of a handheld)

Does it lose a lot of atmosphere from the smaller screen dimensions, or am I kidding myself in thinking that I'll find it atmospheric in this day and age? (I often find myself getting drawn in nicely to games that build suspense, recently I ended up switched Deadly Premonition off as I didn't want to do certain parts at night in the dark with headphones on, although that became much less of a factor once i was halfway through and knew that my skills meant survival wasn't too much of a problem)
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

gi joe

Post by gi joe » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Only retro stuff the local Gamestation near me does it seems is over priced second hand Gamecube games and PS2 games I think. Since being brought out by Game, I was told by a collector that Gamestation got rid of a lot of their old stock, it's where he got some of his Dreamcast stuff.

Gamestation are now, I think, as bad as Game with the over pricing of the pre-owned games.