Anybody collect DS games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mr Vengeance

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri May 14, 2010 4:05 pm

firebreather wrote:I own 2 copies of Blood bowl, plus advance wars dark conflict does that count as a collection?
From acorns come oak trees ;)
C=Style wrote:Is it really? That sucks. I've not really played it but love the original Bangai O
Its just my opinion bud, plenty of other people enjoy it. For me though, it, and its Dreamcast equivalent are hampered by poor controls and erratic difficulty curves.
AlleyKat wrote:So far I have the following (all bought as new so still NM/mint):

Another Code
Bangai-o
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
Chrono Trigger (+soundtrack)
Disgaea
Electroplankton
Exit
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Ketsui Death Label (Jap)
Legend of Kage 2
Loopop Cube: Lup Salad (Jap)
Mario Kart DS
Metroid Prime Pinball (+rumble pack)
New Super Mario Brothers
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rhythm Paradise
Shiren The Wanderer/Mystery Dungeon
Space Invaders Extreme (Jap)
Space Invaders Extreme 2
Trauma Centre
Wario Ware: Touched

I'll be picking up the Dungeon Quest 5 remake soon and probably Ghost Trick, if it lives up to its promise, and other bits and pieces as they occur to me. Like the Wii, the DS makes most sense if you like Nintendo's own games and Japanese curios/ left field third party stuff. If you dont, it wont, simple as.

Exceptional range of games on this machine, I feel like I've only scratched the surface really.

Bangai-o is great- I disliked the structure/weapon select focus to begin with, but it does click if you give it a chance. Still prefer the classic DC version though. :)

Lovely list of games Alleycat, very impressive! I'll pop up my list later....
Nintendo DS games: 41

JennyTablina

Post by JennyTablina » Fri May 14, 2010 5:14 pm

I sort have become a habitual DS collector since I got my launch Phat

Games I own (GBA/DS)

The Legend of Starfy (US)
Kirby: Canvas Curse (US ver of Power Paintbrush)
Rhythm Paradise
Mario Kart
Pokemon Pearl/Diamond/Platimum
Pokemon Soul Silver
Big Bang Mini
42 All Time Classics (highly recommended if you like board/card games or want to introduce someone to an old game)
Sonic Rush/ Rush Adventure
Sonic Classic Collection (avoid unless you really fancy playing Sonic on the move)
Cooking Mama
Elite Beat Agents (US)
Warioware DIY
Astro Boy: Omega Factor (GBA - one of the best)
Pokemon Leaf Green
Hamtaro: Ham Ham Games (GBA - Canadian copy)
Infinite Space
Drill Dozer (US GBA - fab Game Freak game unreleased in the EU due to mercury in the rumble cartridge)
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (US - a short but sweet RPG: Be warned VERY buggy in spots)

I feel I should point out to new DS collectors that while the older DS titles from around Phat launch are rare, many of them are not quite up to par with exception to Super Mario 64 DS and Warioware Touched. Pokemon Dash for example is not very good, its just really dull races with Pokemon on bland 3D fields.

Also: pro-tip to those looking out for rare title going cheap. Keep an eye on stores like shopto.net and amazon/play marketplaces and don't bother with Game/Gamestation unless they have a sale on or the local branch is clearing stock. I picked up Kingdom Hearts DS for £10 this week and that game is a pain in the butt to find in store

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri May 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Nice collection JennyTablina.

Here's my DS collection. All mint and complete. UK standard, bar Final Fantasy Ring of Fates:

New Super Mario Bros.
Pokemon Diamond
Elite Beat Agents
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Metroid Prime Pinball
Dragon Quest: Cahpters of the Chosen
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Picross DS
Bangai-O
Electroplankton
Mario Kart DS
Lunar Knights
Brothers in Arms DS
Flower, Sun and Rain
Space Invaders Extreme 2
Advance Wars Dark Conflict
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Chrono Trigger
Ace Attorney Investigates: Miles Edgeworth
Rune Factory
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates
Fire Emblem DS
Big Bang Mini
Rhapsody
Rhythm Paradise
Anno: Create a New World
Bleach: The Blade of Fate
Brain Training
Meteos
Final Fantasy Tactics A2

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat May 15, 2010 4:42 am

Here's my collection, its a mix of USA, UK and Japanese releases:

GTA Chinatown Wars
Trauma Centre Under the Knife
Metroid Prime Hunters
Wario Ware Touched
Super Princess Peach
Sonic Rush
Elite Beat Agents
Yoshi's Island DS
Yoshi's Touch and Go
Phoenix Wright 2 (JPN)
Jump Super Stars
Kirby's Canvas Curse
Mario Vs DK 2
Mario Kart DS
Star Fox Command
Spiderman 2
Lost in Blue
Nanostray
Animal Crossing
Feel the Magic
Iron Man
Contra 4
Phoenix Wright 1-4
Super Mario 64 DS
New Super Mario Bros
Viewtiful Joe
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania Order of Eclessia
Megaman ZX
Megaman ZX Advent (UK and USA)
Rockman EXE Operation Shooting Star
Megaman BN 5 DS
Megaman Starforce Peagasus, Dragon, Leo (UK and JPN)
Megaman Star Force 2 Zerker X Ninja & Saurian (UK and German)

Looking back at what I have, I've got a nicer variety than I thought I had!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat May 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Nice collection Shadowman, very very nice :D

I'm planning on really going to town now on my collection. I'm going to collect up pretty much anything worthwhile on the format. I'm also going to get full series on the format, for example, I'm going to get Lost in Blue 1 - 3, all the Ace Attorneys, etc.

Anyway Shadowman, I noticed a real lack of Megaman games on my travels. I've been through literally thousands of DS games across Dublin, but have only encountered one Megaman game - wasn't one of the shooters I don't think. Didn't buy it as it was a bit beat-up. Just €20 though.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat May 15, 2010 1:59 pm

The starforce RPG's are somewhat common but ZX Advent and the other traditional Mega Man games are a NIGHTMARE to find 'in the wild'

Seeing as everyone's doing it, here's my teeny DS collection:

Animal Crossing: Wild World
Bleach Dark Souls
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Doodle Hex
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Dragonball Origins
Etrian Odyssey
FF Tactics A2
Harvest Moon
Kira Kira Pop Princess
Lost In Blue 2
Lunar Genesis
Magical Starsign
Phantasy Star 0
Pokemon Platinum & Soul Silver
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
Rythem Paradise
Rune Factory
Mario 64 DS
TMNT 3 Mutant Nightmare
The World Ends With You
Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.

You still looking for Fire Emblem Mr V? Found a copy for 25 quid at my local game store.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat May 15, 2010 2:06 pm

Rayne wrote:The starforce RPG's are somewhat common but ZX Advent and the other traditional Mega Man games are a NIGHTMARE to find 'in the wild'

Seeing as everyone's doing it, here's my teeny DS collection:

Animal Crossing: Wild World
Bleach Dark Souls
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Doodle Hex
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Dragonball Origins
Etrian Odyssey
FF Tactics A2
Harvest Moon
Kira Kira Pop Princess
Lost In Blue 2
Lunar Genesis
Magical Starsign
Phantasy Star 0
Pokemon Platinum & Soul Silver
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
Rythem Paradise
Rune Factory
Mario 64 DS
TMNT 3 Mutant Nightmare
The World Ends With You
Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.

You still looking for Fire Emblem Mr V? Found a copy for 25 quid at my local game store.
Cheers Rayne for that, but I netted a sealed copy of Fire Emblem DS last week on eBay - should be delivered on Monday or Tuesday hopefully! Its definately worth picking up yourself bud, its going to at least retain that price going forward, plus its a great little game to play as well.

Your collection, like the others listed here, contains some really nice games. Just wanted to ask you though what you think of Kira Kira Pop Princess and Phantasy Star Zero? I can pick up both here in Dublin for about twenty quid each. I'm very tempted to get Phantasy Star in particular.

Theres new copies of Kingdom Hearts 358 / 2 inside in my local GAME for €17 new as well. Any opinions of that game guys?

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat May 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Phantasy Star 0 is a bloody fantastic game mate, it's got 3 seperate story lines (for each of the races Human, Newman & CAST) excellent combat taken from PSO, it's easily the best PSO game I've ever played. Online rocks too :D. Haven't seen it in stores as often as I used too, I'd say it's well worth the price.

Kira Kira is hilarious fun, really pink and umm...well, yeah. Pink. Nowhere near worth 20 euros though, CEX have about 80 used copies for £3 each.

Might have to pick up Fire Emblem then :D though I'll see if I can get it cheaper first!

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat May 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Rayne wrote:Phantasy Star 0 is a bloody fantastic game mate, it's got 3 seperate story lines (for each of the races Human, Newman & CAST) excellent combat taken from PSO, it's easily the best PSO game I've ever played. Online rocks too :D. Haven't seen it in stores as often as I used too, I'd say it's well worth the price.

Kira Kira is hilarious fun, really pink and umm...well, yeah. Pink. Nowhere near worth 20 euros though, CEX have about 80 used copies for £3 each.

Might have to pick up Fire Emblem then :D though I'll see if I can get it cheaper first!
All these "used" Kira Kiras then I've been seeing.... they've all been in great nick... maybe the publisher thought it was going to be a bit more popular, and they've not sold and been written off. I will get it some day, but if its common as that I'm not shelling out 20 notes on it!

Thanks for the info regarding Phantasy Star anyway Rayne, I'll pick it up shortly, though I can't see myself playing it anytime soon as I have a shelf-load of DS games to get through first (though perhaps I'll allow it to skip the queue if its as good as you say!).

Anyway, regarding good old Fire Emblem DS.... Its a special game to me as it inspired my DS collecting buzz. I suppose I've been looking to collect for something recently, having formed a very tidy collection of Neo Geo AES games last year. I wanted more of those, but was I really willing to keep shelling out hundreds on games that I already had on other formats? Well I wasn't - I didn't mind doing it for a while on games that I couldn't get elsewhere, and Neo Geo games are incredible, so having a nice collection of them is great, but I feel that to continue with it, buying stuff that at that point in the collection just wasn't really wasn't necessary was a bit of a waste. I will return to it someday though and collect a few more every once in a while... but really looking at what I now have, I really can't see any glaring gaps in the AES collection that can be filled for a resonable price right now.

As some of you know I toyed with the idea of creating a Sega collection earlier in the year. I finally got round to getting a lovely white import Saturn from Japan in February, and got some incredible games for it.... after playing them all and looking at what else there was for it.... well I decided that I didn't need anymore shooters for a while after having been satisfied with DoDonPachi, Layer Section and Soukyugurentai. The language barrier meant that a lot of other games for it were off-limits. The weakening Euro wasn't helping the prices of games for me either. I felt that again, shelling out loads on Saturn games that I didn't feel the immediate need to have was a bit of a waste. However, there are some games for the machine I do want still, mainly shooters, but the hunger to have them just isn't there, and the budget just cannot stretch to round up the likes of Battle Garegga and the mighty Silvergun at the moment. Again I decided to wait.

I then toyed with the idea of trying to collect a bit more Dreamcast games. I bought a load of PAL games, and pretty much bought up everything I wanted. That was cool, but I just wasn't 100% focused on continuing with DC games. I suppose, once again, it was an itch I had scratched. It was just a case of going onto eBay and just clicking on what I wanted. It just wasn't exciting enough. My Dreamcast collection, like the Saturn and Neo's, was thus in lovely shape and didn't need much more added to it I felt.

I then decided to try and find a fix to my bollocksed Mega Drive. I thought I'd begin looking into collecting for that. Now no offence to the system and it fans, but I've never taken to the machine. I dunno, it just never really appealed to me, and my Mega Drive when it was working, was hardly ever on. I thought I really should give it the attention it deserves clearly, because of course it is popular for a reason, but I dunno... I just didn't have the inclination to research it. I toyed with the idea of getting a PAL 32X because I've always been interested in that system, but lets be honest, it would cost quite a bit to get it and some really good games, and I just decided to leave it. A very expensive novelty it would have been.... onto "the list of future things to do" then..... It just didn't need the attention as it wasn't essential.

I also toyed with the idea of getting Sega's Mega CD system, but again, resources are scarce for us students, and boy is that system pricey! Wouldn't know where to start with that! Looked at the PC Engine as well, and its CD accessories and what have you.. again far too expensive for me right now.

Anyway, our very learned friend C-Style here was talking a lot about Nintendo, and got me thinking about how much I used to love thme back in the day.... Instead of buying yet more hardware, wouldn't it not be a good idea to collect for one of the systems I had already, that I hadn't looked at in a while? Wouldn't collecting up a few Nintendo games not be a bad idea? I had bought a load of Sega stuff in recent times after all, so perhaps going back to an old Nintendo system and collecting for that would be a good idea? I looked at the NES, my first ever system, and a machine in which I haven't had a new game for in nearly 20 years! Looked on eBay at complete games for it and found very little interesting there. N64 and Gamecube are both systems on which I already have well rounded collections for, so looking into those again in a big way wasn't really doing it for me - they are systems in which I intend to buy the odd game for to supplement already well developed collections, but getting stuck back into colecting for systems I had given five years attention to was something that I felt just wasn't a new enough initiative. The obvious choice was then the SNES, which Imissed back in the day, but it really didn't take off as I have a lot of SNES games on other formats, so I looked at handhelds.... Again I have an entensive collection of GBC and GBA games, so no point in going there - I wanted something kinda new and interesting that I hadn't looked at before in any great way. Neo Geo Pocket collecting was considered, but I couldn't find one new for a reasonable price on eBay. Then one day on YouTube I watched this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qESU6SWlg0w

THe big man himself! Firstly, I didn't even know my beloved Fire Emblem series had come to the European DS, second, the fact that the DS was becoming collectable was of note, as it was a system I have neglected for a while having bought one years ago, and I suppose a little bit of panic hit me - I suppose it was a system I had taken for granted, and expected it to be there forever. I felt I had really neglected it and knew of all the great games for it - and I knew I had missed a lot of them if they were no becomming collectable. So with that information, I decided to go on the lookout for DS games, and was pretty shocked to find that a lot of them just weren't available anywhere. For example, a lot of you know of my recent hunt for Fire Emblem, Peach and Yoshi. But anyway, as a format, the DS right now makes for a supreme system to collect for:

Games don't get damaged in shops' drawers as they aren't discs - meaning you can buy unsealed "new" games with confidence at retail

You can still get a significant amount of games in the wild easily enough (though of course many are out of print), unlike SNES, Saturn, Dreamcast, etc

You can naturally still get new releases for it

You can get great prices on "sale" games

The packaging is very nice

It has hundreds of great games

Loads of third-party support

Lots of rare titles on there

The games themselves are often superb to play

Its import friendly because its region free, and

Its a 2D powerhouse! :D

Its got some really nice Nintendo games on it too. Old school, core Nintendo games like Advance Wars, Zelda, Mario Kart, etc. There's loads of reasons to get into DS guys, and with what is probably my longest ever internet forum post, I very much encourage everyone reading this to give it another look if yoy haven't already :D

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat May 15, 2010 4:30 pm

That is a most passionate post Mr Vengeance :D

I felt compelled to round up all the DS games floating around the house and take a pic. I'm sure there's a few missing, and there's plenty of doubles in there (two kids, see :) ) and i believe i only can actually claim to own about a dozen of them, myself. That does include a sealed copy of Yoshi's Island though :wink:

sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat May 15, 2010 4:32 pm

I can certainly relate to some extent :lol: I bounced from SNES > NES > Gameboy > Mega Drive > Dreamcast > Saturn > Xbox > Gamecube before finally settling with PS2 :lol: . I'm having more fun tracking down semi-recent PS2 titles & obscure Wii games than I ever did looking for the uhh...I suppose the normal collectable games on the various formats.

Once I've got all my Wii games tracked down I think I'll move back to DS, I feel ever so inspired by all of this ;)

Edit @ Nokgod: Very Nice indeed! I've always found collections look better in a tower :D

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat May 15, 2010 4:34 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

And Yoshi's Island at the top and all SEALED :lol:

Awesome pic man, so impressed! :mrgreen:

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat May 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

And Yoshi's Island at the top and all SEALED :lol:

Awesome pic man, so impressed! :mrgreen:

I tend not to worry about sealed stuff....but when there's two copies of the game in the house....seems kind of a shame to open it for no reason. I just play my son's :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat May 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Rayne wrote:I can certainly relate to some extent :lol: I bounced from SNES > NES > Gameboy > Mega Drive > Dreamcast > Saturn > Xbox > Gamecube before finally settling with PS2 :lol: . I'm having more fun tracking down semi-recent PS2 titles & obscure Wii games than I ever did looking for the uhh...I suppose the normal collectable games on the various formats.

Once I've got all my Wii games tracked down I think I'll move back to DS, I feel ever so inspired by all of this ;)

Edit @ Nokgod: Very Nice indeed! I've always found collections look better in a tower :D
Glad to inspire mate, I'm just passing on the DS love though from Darran himself! Would be great if he posted on the boards regularly, particularly in this thread....

The Wii is also a system in which I really need to give some attention to, but I cannot do that at the minute because the budget just won't allow for it. I'll be honest with you's, I saved up quite a bit of cash whilst studying and doing assignments over the last two or three months, and pretty much blew all of it after my last exam! Will slowly begin to pick up Wii games that I see for a good price every now and then, but the thing with Wii is that I'm not a huge fan of the Wiimote in general, as good as it is at times, plus the games can be badly scratched in shop drawers, which is a real issue for me as a collector. I'm not pedanctic, but I hate getting a game that's meant to be new and its all marked up on the disc :( DS games just aren't as delicate in the same way, so its great in that regard.

I'm going to get Sin & Punishment 2 and Little King's Story soon though on the Wii, but its mainly about DS for the next 6 months at least I reckon. I can't see myself on the same kind of look-out for Wii games as I've been with DS, but I still will keep a look-out for it, along with the PSP none-the-less.....

Just one more thing about collecting at the minute - I was saying how tough it would be collecting for the mighty PS2 in that system's respective thread elsewhere - fair play to anyone going collecting for that bad boy :shock: But I think the PSP would be another interesting system to collect for. I've found myself finding lovely PSP games recently without actually going out of my way to get them. Its a system of course in which there have been some great games, released likely in small quantities, but many games can be found on it at reasonable prices at the minute. Shops are also selling these games cheap, so its a system worth checking out people if you are considering building a collection up for a recent format.

In all honesty though, I doubt the PSP will have the collectability appeal of the DS in future though, as its not had the same level of quality of game on it - lets be honest, Nintendo makes some phenomenal games still, which of course courts some passionate, loyal gamers.... hence why I think DS will be much more collectable in the years to come. But the PSP still is an attractive proposition to collect for. I can see games like Monster Hunter and that Dead or Alive game, exclusives like those, being worth a few quid in years to come - worth keeping an eye out on those....

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat May 15, 2010 5:09 pm

I wouldn't say the PSP didn't have quality, it just didn't have as big an install base. In future more people will have had a DS & have fonder memories, more games have been released on DS, etc etc.

There's a few PSP games out there that fetch a few bob, Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness springs to mind...