Prepare to Climax!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SoupDragon

Re: Prepare to Climax!

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:06 am

Lol I missed this beauty on my last visit to the Store :roll: back to the downloads methinks!!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:44 am

Played the demo. Gonna buy it.

It's really twitchy (a bit like the excellent Outrun 2) and it seems to want to do Barrel Rolls every time I look at the controller, but - for the price (800MSP!!) it's an absolute friggin' STEAL.

The game sums up what XBLA should be all about. 8) Top quality Arcade action. At a sexy price.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:05 pm

I downloaded the PS3 version last night and it's friggin' awesome! :D :D :D

Everything that made the original 1987 coin-op a classic is present here. How the feck they managed to get it up and running THAT fast with no slowdown is just brilliant!

My only complaint is that it's too easy to pull off the rolling manoeuvre, and it's very annoying too. Does it EVERY time I steer left then right.

Well done Sega! Now make sure that the new 2D Sonic game is this good!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:05 am

Downloaded Demo. on 360 and Yes, looks fantastic, moves at a fair old lick, but just personally, kinda put off by the fact the planes seem too lack any sense of wieght and i`d much rather they did a barrel roll when I wanted, not it felt like it.Just come away not feeling the love.Needed some tweaking me thinks-The phantom co-pilot/Barrel roll syndrome must have cropped up in playtesting yet developers seem fine with it?Hmmmn....

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:44 am

Smurph wrote: I noticed that, but you can get round it by not having full lock on to one side before changing direction, ie you have to go fully right on the stick than fully left to do the roll. Anything less and you'll just change direction.
I don't think the playtesters need to be 'fine' with it if it's supposed to be like that - as in, that's the controls. Analogue sticks are there for a reason, you don't have to have full lock on a direction.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:15 am

Smurph wrote:
Smurph wrote: I noticed that, but you can get round it by not having full lock on to one side before changing direction, ie you have to go fully right on the stick than fully left to do the roll. Anything less and you'll just change direction.
I don't think the playtesters need to be 'fine' with it if it's supposed to be like that - as in, that's the controls. Analogue sticks are there for a reason, you don't have to have full lock on a direction.
Just does`nt sit right with myself, got to the point where i soon got rather annoyed with it.But again, down to personal tastes, might 'adjust' to it over time.

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:48 pm

Bought this today for the PS3 and been playing it on and off quite a bit, it's really brilliant fun and I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot. Great graphics and speed and brill game play.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:00 pm

To the people having probs with the barrel rolls:

By all means switch the controls sensitivity down to low, I done this and you won't be barrel rolling as much. But as you will soon find out, the reason it's so 'twitchy' is because you won't be able to out-manoeuvre the faster missiles on this lower setting ;)

Secondly, if you watch the demo on the screen being played you will see that using up and down as much as left ad right it key to success, and you will also find that by going up and down whilst moving left and right will help stop the annoying barrel roll . In fact the more you play the more in control you will become and as Smurph says, it's only when you full lock left-right anyway which shouldn't be used all the time.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:29 am

Has anyone played them both yet for comparison?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:17 am

Dl'ed last night, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well worth the 800 points. I got to the last mission and lost my last life right at the start, and I had no continues left, either. Still, bloody good conversion of the arcade.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:49 am

Score attack scores (XBL)? I've only got a couple of you guys on my list, so my friends leaderboard is a wee bit sparse. I'm on 744,000 ish at the moment.

subzero

Post by subzero » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:50 am

Afterburner????

BEST.

GAME.

EVER.

:):):):)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:58 am

Smurph wrote:Score attack scores (XBL)? I've only got a couple of you guys on my list, so my friends leaderboard is a wee bit sparse. I'm on 744,000 ish at the moment.
I'll be joining in this next week :) Once I've moved house (priorities!)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:17 am

Bought the PS3 version, translates better to the home than the original Afterburners ever did. An enjoyable blast, but not enough to divert my attention from Armalyte on the PC.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Mootown wrote: I'll be joining in this next week :) Once I've moved house (priorities!)
:lol:

I was wondering why you hadn't appeared on the leaderboard.