Good japanese games for non-japanese speakers?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

giss

Good japanese games for non-japanese speakers?

Post by giss » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:55 pm

hey.

does anyone know any "hidden gems" japanese-only games that doesn't require you to speak japanese to enjoy?
I just had the thought that there must be a lot of games out there that I would really enjoy, but I've never heard of.

I can't really start the thread off, but I recently played Do-Re-Mi Fantasy for the SNES, and I liked that (no masterpiece or whatever, but an enjoyable platformer).

Cauterize

Re: Good japanese games for non-japanese speakers?

Post by Cauterize » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:59 pm

If you liked Do-Re-Mi, i'd suggest playing Magical Pop'n on the Super Famicom too. Another great platformer on the SNES.

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Super Back to the Future 2 is great little platformer for the Super Famicom..

There are tons of Shmups there were Japan Only... and then there is the PC Engine that has dozens of amazing Japan only games

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:12 pm

It would be helpful if we knew what platforms you have access to, or if you are open to emulation and what genres you are after. Check the last post in the 'emulating pc-98' thread.

giss

Post by giss » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:19 pm

I'm more or less open to emulation for once, just cause I really feel that getting japanese games and consoles is too expensive for me to afford right now.
And I wasn't thinking about any platforms in particular, just your general favorties. Wasn't really meant as a "recommend me" thread at all, really even tho I must confess I would probably try out pretty much every game you mentioned that I could find, heh. But yeah I have to say my first post sure makes it seem like it was a recommend me thread, must've gotten lost in translation.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:31 pm

You know, having japanese stuff is no more expensive than having PAL stuff - as long as you don't hoard - which isn't what you do if you want to enjoy a game.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

giss

Post by giss » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:39 pm

speedlolita wrote:You know, having japanese stuff is no more expensive than having PAL stuff - as long as you don't hoard - which isn't what you do if you want to enjoy a game.
probably true, but I can't afford to buy any PAL games right now either. and I was thinking about getting a few japanese games in the future, not collect them or anything but I really want Pulseman for the Mega Drive, for example.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:49 pm

I just bought Umihara Kawase which was mentioned in an earlier Retrogamer & I have to say it's fantastic. A bit tricky, but a fun platformer.

You also can't go wrong with Super Bomberman 4 & 5. 4 being my personal favourite.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 pm

speedlolita wrote:You know, having japanese stuff is no more expensive than having PAL stuff - as long as you don't hoard - which isn't what you do if you want to enjoy a game.
Depends if it is NTSC J exclusive or not. Eliminate Down on MD for example. Or Cave PS2 shmups versus the dirt cheap PAL released PS2 shmups. Only when its a dating sim is a japanese game cheaper than pal equivalent :lol:

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:02 pm

Dating sims are well expensive on P-A! :lol:

I'd rather have one cave game than all of the PAL ps2 shmups - but that's just me.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:39 pm

What about Super Famicom Popful Mal and Go Go Ackman 2 both platformers and very nice.. Also Ghost Hunter Mikado I bought the cart of somebody on here and it regularly gets played on my Super Famicom
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:47 pm

Shinobi, Do you mean Ghost Sweeper Mikami?

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:24 am

OK, just sticking to machines that can easily be emulated (in other words, ignoring the Saturn!) here's some suggestions from my personal collection of Japan-only games that don't require any knowledge of the language to play...

PC-Engine
Dragon Egg! (Platformer)
Battle Lode Runner (Multiplayer Lode Runner!)

And a ton of shooters: Cyber Core, Dead Moon, Download, The Lost Sunheart, Violent Soldier and Hana Taka Daka!? (AKA Super Long Nosed Goblin)

Famicom/Famicom Disk System
Attack Animal School (Space Harrier style Shooter)
Joy Meka Fight (Fighting game covered in a fairly recent RG)
Star Wars (Namco version, with the infamous Vader/Scorpion end of level boss!)
Ninja Jajamaru Ginga Daisakusen (Platformer, blatantly inspired by Mario 3)
Yume Penguin Monogatari (Excellent Konami Platformer with a fat penguin)
Almana no Kiseki (Another Konami Platformer with an Indiana Jones inspired character)
Otocky (Shoot Em Up/Rhythm Action hybrid)

Plus all of the following are worth a look:

Super Mario Bros 2, Door Door, Doraemon, Gekitotsu Yonku Battle, Hino Tori, Holy Diver, King Kong 2: Ikari no Megaton Punch, Miracle Ropit's Adventure in 2100, Sqoon, Urusei Yatsura: Lum no Wedding Bell, Utsurundesu: Kawauso Hawaii e Iku!!

Super Famicom
Uchuu Race: Astro Go! Go! (Psychadelic Kart racing game)
Bishin Densetsu Zoku (Driving/Beat Em Up hybrid)
Sugoi Hebereke (Multiplayer battle game, like an early Smash Bros)
Vs. Collection (Collection of multiplayer games featuring penguins - puzzle, platformer and even a snowball fight!)
Mario & Wario (Puzzle/Platformer, Lemmings-esque I suppose)
Battle Cross (5-player Super Sprint style game with weapons!)

The 'Great Battle' series - a seemingly endless collection of games featuring a selection of classic Japanese TV characters such as Gundam, Ultraman etc. The main series are action games, mainly Run & Gun or Beat Em Ups. There is also a 'Great Battle Gaiden' series which introduces some minor RPG aspects, plus a Kart game (Battle Racers), a Bomberman-style multiplayer battle game (Super Tekkyu Fight!), and also Dodgeball and Soccer games (at least 2 of each)

Shooters: Blazeon, Flying Hero, Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, Marchen Adventure Cotton 100%

Platformers: Action Pachio, Gegege no Kitarou: Fukkatsu! Tenma Daiou, Nangoku Shonen Papuwa-kun, Psycho Dream, Syonen Ashibe, Wagyan Paradise, Melfand Stories, Kishin Douji Zenki: Battle Raiden, Violinist Of Hamelin, Sword Maniac

Beat Em Ups: Battle Zeque Den, Cosmo Police Galivan II, UFO Kamen Yakisoban, Ushio To Tora

Fighting games: Ranma 1/2 Chougi Ranbuhen, Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W - Endless Duel

Others: Gekitotsu Dangan Jidousya Kessen Battle Mobile, Dossun! Ganseki Battle, Waku Waku Ski Wonder Shoot

Megadrive
Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen (Treasure's gorgeous 4-player Fighting game)
Doraemon vs. The Dream Thief and the Seven Gozansu (Mario-esque Platformer)
Wani Wani World (A hybrid of Bubble Bobble, Don Doko Don and Space Panic)
Monster World IV (Another great platformer)

Plus a ton of shmups of course: Curse, Dangerous Seed, Darwin 4081, Elemental Master, Gaiares, Granada, Master of Weapon, MUSHA Aleste, Verytex, Whip Rush, XDR: X-Dazedly-Ray

That should be enough to keep you going for the next few years! ;)
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:38 pm

speedlolita wrote:I'd rather have one cave game than all of the PAL ps2 shmups - but that's just me.
The pal shmups are not all bad, I'd take Gradius V and Dragon Blaze over most of Cave's output.

robo2

Post by robo2 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:47 pm

I have to disagree with some of witchfinders list mainly the super famicom games

( i found cosmo police galivan to be not that great and ufo kamen yakisoban pretty terrible, ushio to toro - i have never played but looks like something i might pick up in future)
my recommendations would be - beat em up - iron commando, battle zeque den, shin nekkettsu kouha kunio, shodai nekketsu kouha kunio, undercover cops, ghost chaser densei, rushing beat 1-3(not jap only but the jap versions are better) and sonic blastman 2 - the problem with buying these games is that some of them can be very pricey

Shooters: Blazeon, Flying Hero, Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, Marchen Adventure Cotton 100% cant argue with these recommendations blazeon, macross and cotton are all pretty good games(never played flying hero)