maximum magazine

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

julytien

maximum magazine

Post by julytien » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:16 am

Does anyone remember this mag, I buy every multiformat magazine but I never remember this being around

Utini

Post by Utini » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:22 am

Wasn't Maximum the short lived up-market multi-format mag from Emap? If so, I remember it being advertised in the back of Mean Machines or Official Sega Mag or similar, but never managed to get hold of a copy.

It always seems to be the way with gaming magazines - when they first come out, no bugger stocks them, and yet if DeAgostini release a new 50 part series on "Build your own garden Gnome" including free binder, you can't move for them!
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:23 am

There was an article in one of the recent issues of Retro Gamer about it, I can't remeber the issue number though. I have at least one issue somewhere.

funkym00se

Post by funkym00se » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:13 am

I recently brought issue one from ebay. Not suprised it died, its pretty cack in my opinion. Plenty of big sprawling screenshots but not much else.

When i buy a mag, i like to read not just stare at pictures.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:09 am

What an unusual viewpoint.

So, in a perfect world, a videogame magazine should be 100% text and no pictures?

Maximum was published before the internet granted us massive screenshots and videos of games at the click of a mouse button. Considering some games were granted over ten pages of coverage in some issues of Maximum, the high number of screens shouldn't really bother you that much - you're actually getting more text than most other magazines would offer from that time period. Besides, at the back of the magazine they'd do the proper 'review' which was mainly text with a few small screens. The main bits were to there to give you a huge dose of info.

Personally I thought the format worked a treat, and judging by the number of people who still have fond memories of it, I don't think I'm alone.

But each to their own I suppose!

funkym00se

Re:

Post by funkym00se » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:55 am

Duddyroar wrote:What an unusual viewpoint.

So, in a perfect world, a videogame magazine should be 100% text and no pictures?

Maximum was published before the internet granted us massive screenshots and videos of games at the click of a mouse button. Considering some games were granted over ten pages of coverage in some issues of Maximum, the high number of screens shouldn't really bother you that much - you're actually getting more text than most other magazines would offer from that time period. Besides, at the back of the magazine they'd do the proper 'review' which was mainly text with a few small screens. The main bits were to there to give you a huge dose of info.

Personally I thought the format worked a treat, and judging by the number of people who still have fond memories of it, I don't think I'm alone.

But each to their own I suppose!
Mmmm, i dont remember saying all text and no pictures. My point was that it was to picture orientated. You may not be alone and i respect your view, but if it was a popular format then it would surely not of died so quickly.

I know it tried to do something different and that is great, but the core of a games magazine should be fun. Maximum wasnt IMHO.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:02 am

Maximum stuck me as a very 'fun' magazine actually.

You could tell the writers loved their games, I would counter your point by saying, by and large, most mainstream videogame magazines (both at the time of Maximum and today) are souless and not at all 'fun'.

I think the reason Maximum failed was because it tried to be 'fun' and cover excellent games regardless of format - they supported the Saturn heavily at the start, which cost them readers as most people were too busy playing on their Playstations to care about anything Sega-related.

funkym00se

Post by funkym00se » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:10 am

Thats fine. People have different senses of humour of course. I suppose even though i have travelled with consoles and computers from my zx81 upwards it is still the 8 bits that have provided me with the most enjoyment. So because of that perhaps i find the humour and fun in early mags (crash, zzap etc) the sort of thing i take to.

So i agree that magazines from the mid nineties up to now are not fun. Rightly or wrongly, i compare games magazines that i have read through the ages against those from the 8 bit era.

Maybe Maximum got better, i only have issue one and that has no reader input, which i always think is invaluable. Trouble is, after that first issue, i wouldnt have bothered looking for any more.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:04 am

I don't think the magazine ever had much reader input.

I know what you mean about humour, as Rich stated in the Maximum feature that was in Retro Gamer a while back, they wanted to move away from the 'in your face' feel of Zzap!64 and Mean Machines and focus more on the games rather than the personalities of the writers.

For me Mean Machines is the greatest magazine ever and a lot of the appeal was down to the connection the writers had with the readership, but I like Maximum as well because it really did give the games a chance to shine.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:14 am

I loved Maximum while it ran. The reviews were so in depth and gave more infofmation on a game than any mag before it. The Tekken 2, Sega Rally and Ridge Racer Revolution reviews stick in my mind the most. The Tekken 2 review even had a full character list with complete moves list. I loved the glossy look and reprints of all the game artwork too.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:16 am

I have a few issues of Maximum and when it was out I had no Internet etc so seeing those huge articles filled with pics was fantastic..

I know I have the Sega Rally one and a Wipeout one I think...

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:30 am

Opa-Opa wrote:I have a few issues of Maximum and when it was out I had no Internet etc so seeing those huge articles filled with pics was fantastic..

I know I have the Sega Rally one and a Wipeout one I think...
Sacans pls! :wink:

Actually, I wonder if Duddyroar has any plans to expand his MM site to include the likes of Maximum? (Even if it's way off in the future) Great site btw Duddy! :wink:

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:37 am

I might have some doubles, what are they worth now..?

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:09 pm

Having some Maximum reviews online is a good idea, however I doubt I'd expand to cover every issue, simply because it would be a nightmare as the current database is set up for MM reviews, which have a set format.

Might put some scans up though - I'll be sure to let you all know :)

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:17 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:I might have some doubles, what are they worth now..?
I think the price of postage of the feckers is worth more than the actual mags. :cry: :lol:
Duddyroar wrote: Might put some scans up though - I'll be sure to let you all know :)
That would be awesome.