Worst football games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: Worst football games!

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:42 pm

I bought this today

and in it was a review of this

and it got this

For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Another vote for Imagine's Super Soccer & World Cup Carnival (aka Artic Soccer) for the Spectrum plus Match Day on the CPC.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:47 am

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:Having embarked on a bit of a trying every and any footie game I can get my hands on, I thought Id flip the usual 'best of' on its head and go for the worst.

Total Football- Sega Megadrive is in current pole position, heck PELE is better than this and that is rubbish. Players are identikit, selection is a joke, control is a joke even the rubbish teams hog possession, and score for fun. Its just very broken.

Other contenders- Pele, Actua Soccer, Fifa Soccer (Any snes incarnation) Dino Dini's Goal! This is Football, 3 Lions

Anyone have anymore for anymore?
Goal! was a really good game; I think it was one of the few games other then Emlyn Hughes that gave players momentum, had classic top-down or side-on views, good team selections and played a good game of football. Certainly nowhere near the worst by any stretch.

eggman1973

Post by eggman1973 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:55 am

I agree that Goal! was a top football game, I used to love it on the Amiga; it was like a more controllable Kick Off, though I did love Kick Off 2 for ages as well... but as to the worst one I ever played, probably any of the early FIFA's (MD) or Footballer of The Year on the Speccy, that was awful!

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:37 am

Gabe wrote:
Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:Having embarked on a bit of a trying every and any footie game I can get my hands on, I thought Id flip the usual 'best of' on its head and go for the worst.

Total Football- Sega Megadrive is in current pole position, heck PELE is better than this and that is rubbish. Players are identikit, selection is a joke, control is a joke even the rubbish teams hog possession, and score for fun. Its just very broken.

Other contenders- Pele, Actua Soccer, Fifa Soccer (Any snes incarnation) Dino Dini's Goal! This is Football, 3 Lions

Goal! was a really good game; I think it was one of the few games other then Emlyn Hughes that gave players momentum, had classic top-down or side-on views, good team selections and played a good game of football. Certainly nowhere near the worst by any stretch.
This has to be a personal preference thing seen as pretty much the same engine was used in Player Manager ( Kevin Keegans Version of the football side is horrendous), KO 2 and so on. I didnt like them then and I dont like them now. Its not a case of not getting it, its just a case of I think its horrible and unplayable unless you are prepared to spend hours getting the nuances, I think the whole thing is broken, the graphics suck and the music and everything else is dire.. ergo its cack

Dino Dini is a teacher now isnt he?
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:14 am

eggman1973 wrote:I agree that Goal! was a top football game, I used to love it on the Amiga; it was like a more controllable Kick Off, though I did love Kick Off 2 for ages as well... but as to the worst one I ever played, probably any of the early FIFA's (MD) or Footballer of The Year on the Speccy, that was awful!

Nooooo! FOTY was great!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:17 am

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:
Gabe wrote:

This has to be a personal preference thing seen as pretty much the same engine was used in Player Manager ( Kevin Keegans Version of the football side is horrendous), KO 2 and so on. I didnt like them then and I dont like them now. Its not a case of not getting it, its just a case of I think its horrible and unplayable unless you are prepared to spend hours getting the nuances, I think the whole thing is broken, the graphics suck and the music and everything else is dire.. ergo its cack

The problem for me with Goal! is that it was a little TOO custoisable , with the choice of horizontal/vertical , zoom and other variables , which meant it was a jack of all trades but master of none. The inertia either made or spoiled the game ; for me it was the latter. Not the worst footie game by a long shot though
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:19 am

Goal was excellent. Used to love playing it on the Amiga, not quite as good as KO2 but better than most from that time.

thl

Post by thl » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:38 am

Goal for the Gameboy was truly awful and unplayable. The SNES version of Kick-Off was appalling, in which the gameplay was completely ruined!

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:
Gabe wrote: Goal! was a really good game; I think it was one of the few games other then Emlyn Hughes that gave players momentum, had classic top-down or side-on views, good team selections and played a good game of football. Certainly nowhere near the worst by any stretch.

Well of course it's a personal opinion, yet by any rational metric - other than *you* just don't like it - it is nowhere near being one of the worst footy games. I'm not sure in what way it was broken, nor do I believe it used the Kick Off/Player Manager engine, either - it was created from scratch I think.

If it were based on just what people didn't like then I'd claim Sensi was terrible - but that would be daft because I recognise it is a good game, I just don't like it.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Virtua Striker is the worst football game ever made, the DC version. Little or no control, automatic things happening all the time. You cant even run properly.
Special mention goes to Namco Soccer Prime Goal on PS1. I got it in 1997 I think when I was waiting for ISS Pro to come out. It was April and my birthday and I took it home and nearly cried with disappointment.
ISS finally came out in september!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Cauterize

Post by Cauterize » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:41 pm

jdanddiet wrote:I bought this today

and in it was a review of this

and it got this

Wow, an honest review of an EA game.... You don't see that often!

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:06 pm

Gabe wrote: Well of course it's a personal opinion, yet by any rational metric - other than *you* just don't like it - it is nowhere near being one of the worst footy games. I'm not sure in what way it was broken, nor do I believe it used the Kick Off/Player Manager engine, either - it was created from scratch I think.

If it were based on just what people didn't like then I'd claim Sensi was terrible - but that would be daft because I recognise it is a good game, I just don't like it.

Okay what more reasons do you want Gabe

Ironically Iam Watching Romeo Must Die and some of the Music to Fifa 98 has just come on. Reminds me of a better game.

If you think Sensi is terrible then so be It I think some of the revisions from the original Swos are god awful but especially players that will not respond despite moving in a straight line after losing the ball the animation is too long and is annoying to the detriment of the game.

In PM/KO/KO 3 the weight and clunky ness espcially the SNes version of Both is horrendous making it a stilted unplayable mess. similar to the nightmare that is WC94on the MD... Awful!
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:20 pm

KO 3 was so nearly the best football game on the SNES. Looks nice, when it does play it plays well. But too much auto crap happening and the pace was miles too fast.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

bbcradio4

Post by bbcradio4 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:16 am

Megadrive: Pele is dire

Kick-off on any format.
Handhelds: Gameboy, GBC, GBA SP, Game Gear, NGPC, Wonderswan Crystal, PSP
Other systems: Atari VCS, ZX Spectrum 48K, Oric Atmos, NES, Master System, Megadrive, Mega-CD, Neo-Geo MVS, SNES, PSX, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube