Worst football games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RMLF

Worst football games!

Post by RMLF » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Having embarked on a bit of a trying every and any footie game I can get my hands on, I thought Id flip the usual 'best of' on its head and go for the worst.

Total Football- Sega Megadrive is in current pole position, heck PELE is better than this and that is rubbish. Players are identikit, selection is a joke, control is a joke even the rubbish teams hog possession, and score for fun. Its just very broken.

Other contenders- Pele, Actua Soccer, Fifa Soccer (Any snes incarnation) Dino Dini's Goal! This is Football, 3 Lions

Anyone have anymore for anymore?
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Mr Vengeance

Re: Worst football games!

Post by Mr Vengeance » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:32 pm

David Beckham's Soccer was censored VILE :shock:
Nintendo DS games: 41

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:50 pm

Michael Owen's World League Soccer (pc)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:57 pm

Ooh, I got Total Football a while back, haven't got round to trying it yet. Sounds "fun"?

Don't really like many football games besides FIFA '98, Neo Geo Cup '98, Nintendo World Cup and World Cup Italia '90, so I'll say any football game that isn't any of them lot :lol:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:01 pm

GOAL on Acorn Electron, followed by Super Kick Off (2) on the SNES. Even Artic Software's World Cup on Speccy was better than those.

I also never liked Microprose Soccer on C64, but that's more of a Marmite opinion rather than me saying it's totally rank, it has legions of fans.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Gary Lineker Superstar Soccer on the speccy was atrocious .

World cup carnival - almost a direct copy of artics world cup football (2 years later) and at £9.95 - shocking.

I can't quite remember the name of the Jon Ritman ps1 effort - super match soccer ? but that was bloomin awful as well.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:26 pm

World Cup Italia 90. On every platform i've played it on was unplayable and a mess. I remember getting the speccy version and being massively excited by it until realising it was crap.

World Soccer on the SMS. I don't know why some people praise it - it plays like crap and is so slow it's painful.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Space_turnip wrote:World Cup Italia 90. On every platform i've played it on was unplayable and a mess. I remember getting the speccy version and being massively excited by it until realising it was crap.

World Soccer on the SMS. I don't know why some people praise it - it plays like crap and is so slow it's painful.
I quite liked the c64 version of WC Italia' 90 at the time the Ref and stuff was a good Idea.. that was 20 years ago and not played it since... oops
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Great Soccer - Master System
Superior Soccer - BBC
Three Lions - PS1

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:54 pm

All of them :x

Especially anything by EA :shock:

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:15 am

Wow, you've played all football games ever? :P

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:47 am

sirclive1 wrote:World cup carnival - almost a direct copy of artics world cup football (2 years later) and at £9.95 - shocking.
:shock: Hey watch it, that game was awesome, I bought the t-shirt! ------------------------>

Seriously though, I paid full price for BOTH the original and the "re-release" boy did I feel ripped off. :oops:

The general rule of thumb with footie games, if it's got an actual footballer's name on it then it's probably going to be awful.

Step forward Peter Shilton's Handball Maradonna, it's twice as awful as the rest! :lol:

Notable exception being the excellent (for it's time) Emlyn Hughes' International Soccer!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:13 am

The original Artic football game - which *may* have been called World Cup (not the one that US Gold kidnapped...)

Kick off on the gameboy - one of the worst games I have ever played - the only game I have ever taken back to the shop & demanded a refund....

Match Day on the C64.... only released on a compliation... obvious why once you played it.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:51 am

Adidas Power Soccer on PS1 - yuck!

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:58 am

slacey1070 wrote:Kick off on the gameboy - one of the worst games I have ever played - the only game I have ever taken back to the shop & demanded a refund....
I've been playing a bit of this recently and don't find it any worse than any other version of Kick Off. It's a series I never really got to grips with, which is why I'm trying to get my head around it now.

I have to say though that Gazza's Super Soccer on the Amiga is by a large margin the worst I've ever played. It's slow, the controls are abysmal and the AI is so broken that the opposing goalie will stand aside and let you walk into the goal with the ball stuck to your feet. Kick Off '96 also merits a special mention for the fact that a bug renders the game essentially unplayable - hence the notorious 1% score in Amiga Power.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360