Bubble Bobble level guide

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AdamDawes

Bubble Bobble level guide

Post by AdamDawes » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:17 pm

I've just finished putting online my all new complete strategy guide to all 100 levels of the classic Taito arcade game, Bubble Bobble. The game is 20 years old this year, and it feels great to finally give something back to the game that I've enjoyed so much for such a long time.

Every level comes with its own screenshot, strategy tips, level information, trivia (where available) and a video clip demonstrating exactly how to clear the level. I've spent a LOT of time working on this, and I really hope that some of you guys find it interesting. I'd love to hear any feedback anyone has too.

You can find the guide on my website at www.adamdawes.com.

Happy bubbling!

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:25 pm

Thats pretty cool.

Bet it must have taken you ages to do. How did you capture the video?

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:19 pm

That's a real nice site, although you appear to have made an error with the difficulty level of round #99, which should clearly be "Hrngh! Gahhhhh!".
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

AdamDawes

Post by AdamDawes » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:23 am

Hi guys,

Glad you like it!

Yes, it did take ages. Writing up the text was easy enough but tedious, especially as some of the things are really easy to do but hard to describe (such as exactly where to position yourself).

Making the video clips was more work. It's amazing how you can't get things right when you're recording yourself. :) Some of those levels I had to do over and over again, either because I was making stupid mistakes or because power-up objects kept appearing that caused the level to end. Not much use showing a strategy guide if I just keep picking up bombs and potions!

Oh, the videos were recorded using FRAPS, then edited in VirtualDub and (slowly, oh so slowly) uploaded to YouTube.

And level 99? Easy peasy. :-)

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:00 pm

Oooh thats interesting that FRAPS is.

I've seen a version of Mame (buddahmame) that captures video & audio into PNG format movies and WAV files which can be converted into AVI's. I was going to use something like this to make a Mame DVD.

What is the original quality of the AVI''s like?

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:30 am

This is a fantastic little guide. That level 42 was starting to do my head right in.

I should'nt have any probs with it now :D
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

Ghostbiscuit

Post by Ghostbiscuit » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:58 pm

Excellent. Wish it had existed a few years ago though... :wink:

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:35 am

Big thumbs up mate. I once beat the game on Amiga together with a friend, but with unlimited credits :wink:

alexhighnumber

Re:

Post by alexhighnumber » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:00 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:you appear to have made an error with the difficulty level of round #99, which should clearly be "Hrngh! Gahhhhh!".
My thoughts exactly, everytime it sucked up credit after remaining credit - I only ever did it once or twice as I could never remember the route.

Almost annoyingly Adams video demo does make it seems pretty straightforward now I see it again :x

Can I still do the other 98 levels though?

EnglishRob

Re:

Post by EnglishRob » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:21 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:That's a real nice site, although you appear to have made an error with the difficulty level of round #99, which should clearly be "Hrngh! Gahhhhh!".
Just been playing it this evening with the kids on Taito Legends. At about level 56 one of them got bored so another one of them carried on with me until level 97 where I'm stuck!

Well Bubble Bobble you've beaten me this time. At least I didn't cheat though (well not unless you consider keep using credits cheating).

Great game, as good as the first time I played it all those years ago.

Rob