The Games of Christmas Past

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Roo

Re: The Games of Christmas Past

Post by Roo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:43 am

With the exception of the years 2004-2007, I've had some sort of videogaming present on every Christmas Day since 1993.

Highlights:

1993: Master System with Sonic The Hedgehog and Alex Kidd in Miracle World. First ever home console, the good old days!

1994: Mega Drive II with Sonic 2, Mickey Mania & FIFA 95. Sadly, nobody in my family knew how to set it up. We had to get a TV repair guy to fix it up for us a few days after Xmas. I wonder how much he charged us...better not have been much...

1996: Sonic 3D Flickies Island on the Mega Drive. My most anticipated game ever by that point. A bit of a disappointment, as I recall.

1997: N64 with Mario Kart 64. I'd been wanting an N64 since the February before. Ten long, agonising months. Well worth the wait - still my all-time greatest Xmas present.

1998: F-Zero X on N64. Wasn't interest in OoT one bit.

2001: Jak & Daxter: The Precursour Legacy on PS2. Brilliant end to a brilliant year in gaming.

2008-2011: Wii games! de Blob, a boy and his blob, Rabbids Go Home, DKCR...'mon the platformers!

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Great thread.

Off the top of my head..

I cant remember exactly what years, maybe 83 and 85 but My 800 xl and CPC (in that order) were both crimbo presents and provide great memories

Crimbo 85 or 86 maybe. Getting live ammo for the cpc along with a shed load of other games, oh and a rubix magik. How i'd love to play with that again.

Crimbo 88 or 89, more likely 88. Opening up my brand new PCE with such classics like Deep Blue, Yaksa, Vigilante and Moto Roader. Fantastic! Only to find that after 1/2 hours play or so everything would turn black and white - Faulty conversion to PAL, and funnily enough, the London based mail order retailer had simply vanished. Thank god for Telegames.

Crimbo 91. Unboxing my Megadrive and playing Golden Axe, EA Hockey and Phantasy Star 3 till my eyes popped. Brilliant.

Crimbo 98. Unboxing my N64 that my girlfriend (now wife) lovingly bought me and playing Ocarina of time until she threatened to finish with me!

Theres been plenty more since then too.

Eat your nans pants

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Never had a console or computer bought for me for Xmas as such, but a couple of years spring to mind of playing games on Xmas day.

Xmas 1991 - playing Sonic the hedgehog on the Megadrive with a dodgy ZX Spectrum power supply as the one Sega supplied refused to work!

Xmas 1992 - playing countless Amiga games Inc Xmas Lemmings and buying Amiga Format magazines that really were Xmas specials!

What about peoples favourite games with the Xmas theme too?! Obviously Xmas Lemmings and the annual Sensible Software Xmas demo! Oh and Fire and Ice Xmas demo too!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:05 am

Let me think:
1995 - PlayStation
Had to share with my older brother as mum couldn't justify spending £300 on a present for just one of us.
1998 - Game Boy Color
1999 - Dreamcast with Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing and TrickStyle.
2003 - Soul Calibur II (GameCube)
2005 - Pro Evo 5 (PS2)
2006 - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (PS2)
2008 - PSP with Buzz Master Quiz, GoW Chains of Olympus and Secret Agent Clank.
2009 - Wii
2010 - More Wii games - Bust-A-Move, PES 2011, Kororinpa, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Virtua Tennis 2009.

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:54 am

Strangely enough I don't remember getting too many games for Xmas, I think parents used to leave that to me

I do however remember playing Spellbound for ages one Xmas day, and FF7 & Tomb Raider 2 with a mate for days on end thru the Xmas- New Year week years and years later
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Flint

Post by Flint » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:15 am

One Christmas I got two NESs for Christmas, my poor Aunt and Uncle must have been bemused by my reaction. Luckily the second one was returned and replaced with a large pile of games.

A few years later me and my brother both got Gameboys, somehow my parents managed to get a multicart among the games they bought for it so we spent many an hour playing two-player Tetris.

After that I can't remember the specifics but there was usually a game amongst my presents, my Grandparents playing Wii Sports on Christmas day was great too.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:46 pm

1992: Another World and World of Illusion on my shiny new MD 2.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Something I posted around last Christmas, pretty much covers it:
Sureshot wrote:Most people have favourites that they break out at this time of year, often because it's something they got on a certain Christmas. What will you be playing?

I'll be having some of these:

Chuckie Egg (BBC)
Mentioned it before, but this is my absolute platforming zen. Straightforward goals and pinpoint responsiveness are my best guess behind this being the case, but it just puts me in a state of total interaction with whatever machine I'm playing it on. Got it for Christmas the same one I got my BBC and it's been a staple feature at my 'rents place since going back to visit every year.

Repton 3 (BBC)
Another Beeb game I got that same Christmas, and really the pinnacle of the series. The re-labels don't really count (same game, different graphics, different puzzles) and, while Repton Infinity was decent, the game was a far more complex beast by that stage. Repton 3 was 'pure' Repton at its best.

Stryker's Run (BBC)
Doesn't really need an explanation from me (does it?) apart from the fact that I believe this was another 'un I was gifted for Christmas at some stage.

Sonic (Mega Drive/Master System)
Image Image
Sticking these both in the same bag. Sonic on the Mega Drive probably offers my fondest memory of Christmas as I got both the console and machine around '92 and consequently played it for the entire day. As for Sonic on the Master System, one of my cousins owned it and we played it (and Sonic 2) on a few Christmas Eves back in the day.

Alex Kidd (Master System)
Another Master System game owned by my cousin and something that was a massive feature of that '92 Christmas due to the fact that I asked for - and thought I was getting - a Master System that year (sneaky family). Sadly, I've never actually completed it, so perhaps this year.

Mega Bomberman (Mega Drive)
Another year, another game for Christmas. This time it was Mega Bomberman which I was ridiculously excited about being as it was the first Bomberman on a Sega console (something that made me incredibly jealous of SNES owners previously). Played many, many battle games with my brother that day.

Christmas NiGHTS (Saturn)
Can't really have Christmas without this game, can you? Never fails to emanate a basking glow of Christmas every time I drop the disc in and boot up ol' faithful.

Last Bronx (Saturn)
Something my brother picked up just before Christmas one year and turned out to be surprisingly good. Since then, it's been fished out of the cupboard on more than one occasion around the end of the year.

Obviously I'll also be playing a bunch of other things (like the collection of PS2 games that I haven't seen for about a year) and there are non-mentioned games that have great Christmas memories for me too, but I really had to single these guys out.

Happy holidays, people.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Great thread. My birthday's just after Christmas so usually they blur into one when it comes to remembering presents. Ones that stick in my mind are:

Sensible World of Soccer (Xmas '94)
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight (Xmas '97)
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (Xmas '98)
UEFA Striker (Xmas '99)

There really is nothing better than when you have that 2-hour gap between opening your presents and your relatives coming round, giving you a nice bit of time to unwrap the game and fire it up...

...but then there is probably nothing worse than the 7 or so hours you have to spend downstairs with family, wishing you were upstairs playing your new game.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:54 pm

Hmmmmm

Legacy of the Wizard - Free with my first Nintendo Power subscription, however my parents decided to wrap it and give it to me for Christmas so they didn't have to buy me another game. Jerks

Athena which I traded to my druggy cousin for Super Mario Bros 2 and Ghosts 'n Goblins on Christmas day.

Action Max + 4 games was something my brother got one year, which I now have in my collection.

Top Loader NES and ironically a NES game genie in the same year. At the time there was no way to play them together so I took it back and traded it for Kirby's Adventure.

That was it, from there on out I didn't get an actual games until..

For the first time in years, my wife bought me the limited edition Super Mario Bros Collection last year!

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:52 am

Christmas bump! Anyone's lists changed since? I know last year I spent a lot of my gaming time getting reacquainted with Flashback!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:05 pm

Sureshot wrote:Anyone's lists changed since?
Nah, ever since I turned 30 I just seem to get money and "practical" stuff instead.

David

Post by David » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:35 pm

favourites for me.

spectrum 128k with lightgun. spent all day playing bullseye

nes with megaman 2

megadrive with sonic and streets of rage

cd32 with a ton of games

ps1with fifa 96

I didn't realise until I had my own kids just how hard it must have been for my parents to afford stuff like this every year. feel incredibly guilty about asking for it all now.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Xmas 91: Borrowed an Atari 800 which got me into the world of gaming.
Xmas 92: My first Megadrive with Sonic and Mega Games 1
Xmas 93: Street fighter 2 SCE
Xmas 95: Game Gear
Xmas 97: PS1
Xmas 02: PS2
Xmas 08: PS3
Xmas 09: Nintendo DS lite
Been going crazy over retro consoles after that.
Xmas 14: Xbox one

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:55 am

Funny - being a big video game head I never actually got that many as Christmas presents...only 4 i can remember.

1983 : Defender for the 2600. This isn't the greatest port in the world in the looks dept but it played pretty well. I played it to death which is just as well as my parents forked out £30 for this back then which is the equivalent of over £90 in today's money.

1991 : SMB3. It was the Christmas after my final year of university and I was due to start a new job on the 2nd Jan. I can remember first squinting at the manual and booting this up while nursing a monumental hangover.

1997 : Diddy Kong Racing - My wife bought this for me. I had told her to either get me Goldeneye or this. I'm glad she chose this as it turns out I don't get on with console FPS games and Goldeneye was no different.

1999 : Ballistic - A nice little PS1 stocking filler Wifey got me. Lovely wee puzzle game.

EDIT: Forgot these!!

Also got a Wii and 360 for Christmas - I have a very understanding wife.....