Games that have stood the test of time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

chapperz

Re:

Post by chapperz » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:39 am

koopa42 wrote:LOL I think you should be well aware of which TR version of which I speak, especially being as I don't rate a stalwart of the C64 games catalogue :roll: as for Wizball I indeed realise it has a truly massive fanbase (and I forgot to mention the music :roll: they all wet themselves over)

Its a fair game, perhaps even above average
Ouch!! Not feelin' a lot of love for the ol' bread bin here...so you must be a Speccy man then?

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:45 am

chapperz pictured earlier today:

Ya got me :D

chapperz

Post by chapperz » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:53 am

Nice one koopa, appreciate a bit of humour anytime!!

Ya got me too! :D

(Hang on, you could have been Amstrad...only joking)

HalcyonDaze

Post by HalcyonDaze » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:03 pm

Too many to mention, but off the top of my head I would say:

Bubble Bobble

Tetris

Double Dragon

SF2

R-Type

Laser Squad

+ loads more

If it wasn't for PES5 and FM2006 I would say I spend more time with retro games than I do with the modern stuff !!

beesty

Re:

Post by beesty » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:02 pm

roberthazelby wrote:
Mayhem wrote:C64 version all the way here ;)

(the Amiga version is nice, but no comparison. At least it's way better though than the dreadful conversion of Wizball!)
I had a feeling you were on about the C64 version.

Whilst I think the C64 version isn't bad, it's not really a patch on the Amiga version (which features some lovely graphics and fantastic music).

As for the Amiga version of Wizball, it does hold special memories for me as it was one of the first Amiga games I owned. Yes, it's an ST port, but I still enjoy playing it.
The version of wizball I played rob was the C64 version.
For some reason the Amiga version just didnt play aswell .
Ok another golden oldie i still like to play is Dropzone,its just an addreneline rush once you get going on it
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

I-Ball

Post by I-Ball » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:52 am

Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands - two of the most perfectly designed platform games of all time, still play every bit as well now as when they were released.

Wizball (C64) - Again, a simple idea so well executed that it hasn't really dated.

F-Zero (SFC) - There's still something about the simplicity of the first game that I rate above all the others.

Out Run (Arcade) - To this day it looks beautiful, sounds beautiful, and plays like an absolute dream. Don't think Sega ever got much better than this.

Virtua Cop (Arcade/Saturn) - Just so well designed that it's still a complete joy to play. One of the most skillful and pure score challenge games of all time.

SF II: Turbo (Arcade) - Some prefer the sequels/Alpha/III, but I think the balance, design and sheer character of this edition means it will always stand the test of time.

Blue*Smiley

Post by Blue*Smiley » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:37 pm

Cannon Fodder - On the Amiga, shame the follow up was a bit crap really.

Settlers 1 - I only had 1meg in my Amiga 600 so i couldn't get all the sound effects! :(

Wings - Classic

Super Mario World

Flashback - Megadrive version, on the Amiga the cops had pink outfits for some reason!

Syndicate - Amiga, bloody brilliant!

frankster

Post by frankster » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:05 am

Atic Atac - ZX Spectrum
Zelda : Link to the Past - SNES

countless others but the above are superb.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:09 pm

Any Lucasarts graphic adventure

Thankyou designers of Summvm!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

bubblefox

Post by bubblefox » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:28 am

Dizzy in terms of gameplay are still great. Mario (1,2,3,4, Lost Levels) were amazing games. Spindizzy too, games these days are way too violent and criminal. What happened to good old fashioned exploration and adventures without the need for mindless destruction of everything in sight?

sven

Re:

Post by sven » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:12 am

yakmag wrote:The ORIGINAL prince of persia, still have not managed to beat it.

Played it first on the 64 then on a pc, pure class!!
It's a fab game, but the imposed time limit makes the game so hard, it's almost impossible to complete the game without cheating. You need to complete every level without fail and as fast as possible if you're going to be able to complete the game. I only finished the game beacuse I found a version of it with a trainer and a level skip cheat.
POP2 had the same time limit, which is the reason I never finished that one.

But yeah, it's a classy game. (And the Amiga version was the best of the lot.)

sven

Re: the test of time..

Post by sven » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:26 am

roberthazelby wrote:
nickyboom wrote:Superfrog.. One of my favourite platform games of all time! Overlooked and under-appreciated by many, this kept me entertained for a good while.
I think for me the only niggle I have with it is that up is jump. It's just wrong! I played this a lot over the years, and still fire it up once or twice a year even now. I was never keen on the fruit machine bit though. It just seemed to stop the action.
I really wanted to like this game, but the controls are so awkward that they really get in the way of actually playing the game. This goes for Robocod too, as well as a lot of other Amiga platformers. I'm sad to say it, but most of the platformers made for the Amiga were lacking in some way comparing to the polished stuff released for the NES/SNES and the Megadrive, especially the ones made to compete with Mario and Sonic (such as Superfrog).

However, one platformer that was really good on the Amiga (and an exception to what I said above), was Zool 2. This one really had everything you could want from an Amiga platformer. To this day, it's still fun to play.

Another game that has stood the test of time is Spherical. That was a pretty neat game.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:54 pm

Speedball2 - Amiga
International Karate + - Amiga
Manic Miner - C64 or Spectrum
Fruit Machine (Amsoft) - Amstrad
Sensible World Of Soccer - Amiga
Arcade Pool - Amiga
Wings - Amiga

These are the games I regularly go back to playing cos they are so full of playability. They have not aged a bit to me.

C4

Post by C4 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:02 pm

Tetris by far.

sleeper77

Re: the test of time..

Post by sleeper77 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:06 pm

[quote="nickyboom"]Superfrog.. One of my favourite platform games of all time! Overlooked and under-appreciated by many, this kept me entertained for a good while.[/quote]

I agree 100% with nickyboom. I had this game when I owned the CD32 and it was very enjoyable to play. Simple yet addictive. Maybe the only reason it was not so talked about was because of the Italian plumber and the blue hedgehog still stealing all the attention in the platform genre.
Last edited by sleeper77 on Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.