Games that have stood the test of time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:40 am

Mayhem wrote:C64 version all the way here ;)

(the Amiga version is nice, but no comparison. At least it's way better though than the dreadful conversion of Wizball!)
I had a feeling you were on about the C64 version.

Whilst I think the C64 version isn't bad, it's not really a patch on the Amiga version (which features some lovely graphics and fantastic music).

As for the Amiga version of Wizball, it does hold special memories for me as it was one of the first Amiga games I owned. Yes, it's an ST port, but I still enjoy playing it.

nickyboom

the test of time..

Post by nickyboom » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:40 pm

Hi everyone, my first post. I can think of many games that (in my opinion) have stood the test of time. Here are some games that i can still dust off, and while away a few hours..

Frontier, Elite II. Whilst hard to get into for some people, I still find this a fascinating game, and one that can swallow an entire night. Such was the enormisty of the game, and the "open-ended" approach.

The Doom series. Does this count as retro for you guys? I suppose it must do, as it was around 12 years ago the original doom came out. I can remember ripping my hair out as my 386 only had 1mb of ram and no hard disk, so i could'nt play it at first!

Superfrog.. One of my favourite platform games of all time! Overlooked and under-appreciated by many, this kept me entertained for a good while.

Worms. Me and my friends still enjoy a blast of the original version of worms (was never a fan of the sequels). Sadly, my A600 didn't do it justice, and it was only when i upgraded to my CD32 that i enjoyed the worms experience totally. Sadly, Worms was just about the only game worth buying the CD32 for!

Transport Tycoon.. This has to be in my top 3 games of all time. I have been playing it regularly for the past 12 years, and i still find time to play it even now. Truly a great game.

Going even further back..

Wec Le Mans - This was one of the first games i managed to get my hands on, ever! I got this for my Spectrum 128k in about 1989 i think. Was played solidly for a good period of time, sadly my tape no longer works, and my speccy is gathering dust in the attic, but still have a go using various emulators from time to time. I think this one is down to the fact that the game was one of my first, rather than the quality of it.

Rick Dangerous - Rather like the above.. Just fondly remember for it's sheer simplicity, and sometimes downright annoying levels!

Paperboy! Nothing to say about this one. Everyone has played it.

Sorry for the rambling post.. JUst things that came to me as i looked back..

smila

Post by smila » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:09 am

c64

paradroid , wizball - still love em both
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:34 am

The ORIGINAL prince of persia, still have not managed to beat it.

Played it first on the 64 then on a pc, pure class!!

roberthazelby

Re: the test of time..

Post by roberthazelby » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:33 pm

nickyboom wrote:Superfrog.. One of my favourite platform games of all time! Overlooked and under-appreciated by many, this kept me entertained for a good while.
A lovely looking platformer, and a real favourite of Shane's from Retro Gaming Radio.

I think for me the only niggle I have with it is that up is jump. It's just wrong! I played this a lot over the years, and still fire it up once or twice a year even now. I was never keen on the fruit machine bit though. It just seemed to stop the action.
nickyboom wrote: Worms. Me and my friends still enjoy a blast of the original version of worms (was never a fan of the sequels). Sadly, my A600 didn't do it justice, and it was only when i upgraded to my CD32 that i enjoyed the worms experience totally. Sadly, Worms was just about the only game worth buying the CD32 for!
I lost count of the number of hours I must have spent designing levels for this in Deluxe Paint.

Just about the only game worth buying a CD32 for?! Are you mad? :wink:

What about Simon The Sorcerer, Beneath a Steel Sky, Flink, Roadkill. I could go on.
nickyboom wrote: Wec Le Mans - This was one of the first games i managed to get my hands on, ever! I got this for my Spectrum 128k in about 1989 i think. Was played solidly for a good period of time, sadly my tape no longer works, and my speccy is gathering dust in the attic, but still have a go using various emulators from time to time. I think this one is down to the fact that the game was one of my first, rather than the quality of it.
My mates and I always thought that the car when going along a straught looked like a flying saucer.
nickyboom wrote: Rick Dangerous - Rather like the above.. Just fondly remember for it's sheer simplicity, and sometimes downright annoying levels!
This was one of the few Spectrum +3 disks I owned, and as such played this loads. The graphics looked really nice on the Speccy, but my word, it was a swine to play. I think Amiga Power rightly referred to you playing it like a laboratory rat - you'd play the game, remember what killed you, start again, get past that bit that previously killed you, go on a bit more, get killed and so on.

Enjoyable for the time, but I think this sort of game wouldn't go down too well these days - just too many hidden deaths.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:33 pm

I sat and played Laser Squad on the Speccy via Spectaculator last night for a couple of hours, and I can most definitely say that time has not affected it in the slightest. Awesome game.

Aside from that there are many old games that I still enjoy greatly, though I often find that many have suffered technically when I go back to them. Dungeon Master is the retro game that just keeps on giving though. I don't think it will ever look bad or play clunkily, and every time I fire it up I'm completely immersed in the gameworld.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:50 pm

roberthazelby wrote:Whilst I think the C64 version isn't bad, it's not really a patch on the Amiga version (which features some lovely graphics and fantastic music).
Isn't the Amiga version's music just a tepid cover of the C64's tune (which itself is more or less a rather unexciting remake of Hubbard's IK music)? As for the game itself, the GBA version is surprisingly good (it's essentially the Amiga version).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:41 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Isn't the Amiga version's music just a tepid cover of the C64's tune (which itself is more or less a rather unexciting remake of Hubbard's IK music)?
No. The Amiga version features non of that SID nastiness, and instead consists of proper samples.

CraigGrannell wrote: As for the game itself, the GBA version is surprisingly good (it's essentially the Amiga version).
Yes, a very good version indeed:

- Graphics = Lovely. Basically the Amiga version
- Sound = Spot on. All of the Amiga samples seem to be present.
- Music = Completely terrible. What the heck did the programmers do?!

If you play it with the music switched off it's great. Also, the music slows down when displaying the title animations.

Apart from that it's a very worthy purchase indeed.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:57 pm

roberthazelby wrote:No. The Amiga version features non of that SID nastiness, and instead consists of proper samples.
In which case, my memory is clearly playing tricks—I'll have to boot up the Xbox tomorrow and check out the Amiga version. Mind you, it's strange to hear someone talking about "SID nastiness" and the Amiga's "proper samples" as though the latter was totally superior. These days, I reckon an awful lot of Amiga music sounds terribly dated, largely because it's based around a fairly limited method of playing back samples, whereas the C64's music sometimes has a strangely timeless quality, due to the organic, unique and analogue sound of the SID chip. Still, horses for courses and all that.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:37 am

Sorry. It was late, and I was being overly harsh regarding the sounds from the SID chip.

I know exactly what you mean about the organic sound of SID.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:46 am

I for one do just slightly prefer the music in IK to IK+, but only just ;)

And yes to Laser Squad as well. No surprise it's in my top ten games list for the C64 as well :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

chapperz

Post by chapperz » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:08 am

From a C64 perspective: -

Wizball, Paradroid, MatchDay II, Emlyn Hughes Soccer, Microprose Soccer (5 & 11 a side, Action Replays, need I say more), Mayhem in Monsterland, Beach Head Series (check the speech), Leaderboard Golf Series, Attack/Revenge of the Mutant Camels, Alleykat.

That's all I can be arsed to type for now... :D

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:20 am

Sorry but wizball is SOOOOO overated! its an OK game, thats about it - and as for this 'messiah' like status it has acheived for C64 fanboys is just plain crazy!

IMO target renegade has TRULY stood the test of time (as has jungle king)

chapperz

Re:

Post by chapperz » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:23 am

koopa42 wrote:Sorry but wizball is SOOOOO overated! its an OK game, thats about it - and as for this 'messiah' like status it has acheived for C64 fanboys is just plain crazy!

IMO target renegade has TRULY stood the test of time (as has jungle king)
All a matter of taste I'm sure but there are a lot of us fanboys out there mate!! Wizball is quite rightly regarded as a true classic, which I still happily play today.

Which version of Target Renegade are you on about BTW?

Regards,

Chapperz

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:31 am

LOL I think you should be well aware of which TR version of which I speak, especially being as I don't rate a stalwart of the C64 games catalogue :roll: as for Wizball I indeed realise it has a truly massive fanbase (and I forgot to mention the music :roll: they all wet themselves over)

Its a fair game, perhaps even above average