Games that have stood the test of time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C4

Re: the test of time..

Post by C4 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:07 pm

sleeper77 wrote:
nickyboom wrote:
Superfrog.. One of my favourite platform games of all time! Overlooked and under-appreciated by many, this kept me entertained for a good while.
I agree 100% with nickyboom. I had this game when I owned the CD32 and it was very enjoyable to play. Simple yet addictive. Maybe the only reason it was not so talked about was because of the Italian plumber and the blue hedgehog still stealing all the attention in the platform genre.
I wish Team 17 would remake this game for the PSP as I would like to play it.

Kai

Post by Kai » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:20 pm

IMO, there are loads and loads of games which are still great today and haven't aged a bit. (That's one reason why I'm an addicted retro gamer 8) )Too much to list them all, so here are just a few:
Historyline. Monkey Island. Super Cars. Speedball 2. Fear Effect. Midnight Resistance. H.E.R.O. Bubble Bobble. Chaos Engine. Turrican 2. Final Fantasy VI. Another World. Pinball Dreams.

White Demon

Re:

Post by White Demon » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:23 pm

Mayhem wrote:(the Amiga version is nice, but no comparison. At least it's way better though than the dreadful conversion of Wizball!)
I must be the only person ever to actually like the Amiga version of Wizball. Sure, it's not a patch on the C64 version, but I still have had quite a bit of fun with the Amiga version. Bit too easy to complete though. Now the ST version, that IS awful...

Anyway. Games that still are fresh as the first day I played them?

Outrun (Arcade) - The original beautiful journey can't be bettered for a simple, quick go game the simply ozozed quality from start to finish and beyond. And no home conversion has ever matched the Arcade's greatness (The version in Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast came close though).

Best played on the full hydralic sit down version of course.

Worms (Amiga) - A great strategic balst with some mates round. Especially with the Directors Cut version on the A1200.

IK+ (Amiga/C64) - I'd rather play this than any modern fighter. What other fighter enables you to press a key and see the fighter's pants fall down?

Elevator Action (Arcade) - A personal favourite of mine. I'll never be able to stop playing this. Ride the elevators, shoot the baddies, grab the breifcases from the red doors - it's actually rather repetetive but had that certain spark that keeps me coming back again and again.

Nebulus (C64/Linux) - Never actually liked this game until about three years ago when I started playing a version that came with Mandrake Linux. Got me hooked. Then I started playing the C64 version and couldn't stop. The 16 bit versions are rather bad though.

Lemmings (ANY system - even the Speccy version) - Maybe a bit too generic a choice but, fifteen years on, I'm STILL playing the various versions (that bloody Sam Coupe version is hard).

Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast) - I literally played this one game almost non-stop for the first six months after it was released. And still have an occasional go now. The sequel wasn't a patch on the original either.

Daytona USA (Arcade) - The game that still sees far more use in pretty much any arcade I've seen that it's sequel. And still is a dream to play too.

Motorola Invaders 2 (Amiga 1200) - What the hell is this I hear you ask? An amazing AGA Amiga parody of Space Invaders. Whacked out enemies and pumping sampled Metallica music that suits the action. The 'one more go' syndrome is high for this one. Try and find a copy and you won't be disappointed.

I could probably rattle of another couple dozen games but that'll do I think.

michaelf

Post by michaelf » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:07 pm

I think this is one of the best threads for some time :D

So many great games, so many platforms, so many memories!

My machines of choice have been the Spectrum and Amiga so my selections have come from there ...

Speccy:

Chaos - the repeat playability is just awesome
R-Type - nuff said?
The Great Escape - atmospheric to the nth degree

Amiga:
Slamtilit - the ultimate pinball game - why can't I find a decent one for the GBA / DS that isn't a "theme" game, eg Metroid, Mario etc (what's wrong with 'just' pinball??? )
UFO: Enemy Unknown. The first one was great, not sure about the sequels but I can play this time after time after time
The Settlers (as above)

Darth Nuno

Post by Darth Nuno » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:51 am

In my opinion, most of arcade games are still great to play nowaday, my favorite replay games are :

Galaga & derivate, Pac Man, Marble Madness, ... : these games are hard, and the playing time is short ( for most of players, not the hardcore gamers of course)... so there is an immediate challenge.

I like to switch on my Xevious or StarBlade cab', just play one game, than power off... no intro, no loading time... just enjoy few minutes of pure gaming :)
Image Image

Jazzem

Post by Jazzem » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:03 am

Lemmings (ANY system - even the Speccy version) - Maybe a bit too generic a choice but, fifteen years on, I'm STILL playing the various versions (that bloody Sam Coupe version is hard).
Same here! Have you played the NES/GB versions? They're very odd, the lil' rodents only seem to do certain skills at certain points (eg a lemming will only build at the edge or the middle of a steel block)

Midnight Synergy

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue May 02, 2006 12:19 am

"Old" games that are still very playable these days:

C-64:
H.E.R.O.
Impossible Mission
Archon

Atari ST:
Typhoon Thompson (a forgotten classic, IMO)
Nebulus

Arcade:
R-Type
Raiden II
http://www.midnightsynergy.com
Retro Inspired Puzzle, Arcade and Adventure Games.

Kai

Re:

Post by Kai » Tue May 02, 2006 4:30 am

michaelf wrote:Amiga:
Slamtilt - the ultimate pinball game
Interesting choice. I always thought that Pinball Dreams/Fantasies were the ultimate pinball games 8)

RS200

Re:

Post by RS200 » Tue May 02, 2006 5:47 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:
Atari ST:
Typhoon Thompson (a forgotten classic, IMO)
OMG ! .. I thought I was the only one who knew and played this game ... you have re-awakened the demon in me to want to play this thing now *off to find romulan*

OIDs was also a really great game for the ST and strangely I always prefered Carrier Command and Hostages on the ST than Amiga versions.

Midnight Synergy

Post by Midnight Synergy » Thu May 04, 2006 10:00 pm

Yea, I only recently re-played (and finally finished) Typhoon Thompson... such a neat game, wonder why it never "hit it big"?
http://www.midnightsynergy.com
Retro Inspired Puzzle, Arcade and Adventure Games.

sack

Post by sack » Thu May 04, 2006 11:26 pm

I'm going to start university again this september.

As a child I played wizball a couple of times on my cousins CPC464 and hated the game for all its worth, never to touch it again...

until I discovered the pure joy of the C64 version around university exam time.

So wizball is one of a handfull of contributing factors to *why* :)
A9 00 8D 20 D0 8D 21 D0 60

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Thu May 04, 2006 11:37 pm

Super Mario 1, 3 and Super Mario World

I agree with all who said Lemmings :D

also Rtype :D :D

But the ultimate (for me) has to be.......

Wonderboy in Monsterland (SMS)

I was never able to finish it, so I keep going back... that friggin maze... Last year I got halfway through the maze and bumped the cart. The game froze. I was almost at the end with more than enough equipment and a map from the internet. But nooooooo.... That's why it stood the test of time... because I'm SHOITE :cry:
真・豪鬼

Kai

Re:

Post by Kai » Fri May 05, 2006 5:21 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:Typhoon Thompson (a forgotten classic, IMO)
True.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:51 am

R-Type I still love playing it as much as I did all those years ago in the arcade, the PS1 R-Types version is my weapon of choice. I think it's the Gigeresque aliens, music, and the force mechanism that keeps me coming back for more. The game seems perfectly balanced to me with the first few levels being relativly easy but as you progress the difficulty creeps up, you never feel robbed if you die it's your own fault.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:56 am

Games i still constantly play....

Gameboy

Tetris
Super Mario Land
Batman

Spectrum

Match Point
Match Day II
Commando
Bombjack