Pre-emptive feedback attack - 'Strider' conversions!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

joefish

Pre-emptive feedback attack - 'Strider' conversions!

Post by joefish » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:20 am

OK, before the next mag gets released, what do we think of the arcade and home versions of Strider? And Strider 2?

Personally, my first experience of Strider was the Atari ST version. I thought it was a cracking game. When I first got to try the arcade version, I couldn't believe how unplayable it was. Horrible things like running up a slope that was far too steep to let you attack the thing that's coming down the slope towards you. Big chunky sprites that overlapped and left you no room to manouevre. Flickery static explosion sprites that obscured what was going on. Random movement of that big snake thing at the end of level 1, such that it barely appeared on screen for more than a second, much less leave you time to damage it. The ST one had smaller sprites and a windowed play area, but was far more playable because of it. Was the Amiga version the same game, or an independent conversion?

Was the sword-extending power-up unique to the home conversions?

As for the NES version, that was just one of those complete re-designs. Not great.

jdanddiet

Re: Pre-emptive feedback attack - 'Strider' conversions!

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:24 am

Yes I'm not a fan of the arcade version either. I've always preferred the MD port.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:30 am

Crazy talk. Strider arcade is lovely. The MD port is also awesome. I had a jap copy back in the day and I was blown away by what they'd managed to achieve on a console sitting under my television.

Strider 2 is also aces. I love the 2.5d look and the powered-up Hiryu is blinding. Never played the reportedly ropey US Gold sequel versions, so I can't comment on those.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:40 am

I've always liked the arcade version of the original Strider. Its tough in places but never to difficult that I can't complete it which is what I like in a game. Some really cool boss fights as well. The MD port is excellent, the Amiga port was OK from what little I played (really need to spend more time with it) but I could never get on with the Spectrum port - It always seemed dead hard from the get go for me, I can't get anywhere on it!

The proper Strider 2 is great fun as long as I limit my continues since otherwise the game presents no challenge what so ever. I really like the sprites used plus the gameplay is still great fun.

The US Gold Strider 2 however is bloody awful. The game gear version seems damn near unplayable while the Amiga version seems souless and devoid of fun.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

GunstarHero

Post by GunstarHero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 am

I'd like to play the pc engine arcade duo conversion to see how it holds up and to see the exclusive levels and hear the rearanged soundtrack.

Have Strider already with my copy of Strider 2, and on Capcom Generations for the PS2. Never tried the MD version but a shop near me has a loose cart for around £3 so may pop over this week and see if its still there.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Has anyone played the unofficial Strider sequel, from the guy who created the original? Cannon Dancer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6tWQAv8N18

SpeedBreaker

Post by SpeedBreaker » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:38 pm

I bought the C64 version. It was so bad that I took a magnet to the disk until it stopped working and got my money back. :oops: :twisted:

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:59 am

Jay wrote:Has anyone played the unofficial Strider sequel, from the guy who created the original? Cannon Dancer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6tWQAv8N18
I played it yonks ago on MAME - it's pretty much exactly the same game but I don't like the graphic style as much.

On another note after watching that vid I noticed this one :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-inhhrpl ... re=related

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 am

GunstarHero wrote:I'd like to play the pc engine arcade duo conversion to see how it holds up and to see the exclusive levels and hear the rearanged soundtrack.
Its not great, unfortunately. Better than the likes of Golden Axe on the PCE, but a real disappointment considering what the Arcade card enabled the machine to achieve with Sapphire, Art of Fighting & Fatal Fury 2/Special which are all pretty astounding from a technical viewpoint.

The arcade/MD versions are where its at.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:53 pm

I only ever played the Megadrive conversion and completed it fairly easily, great game but like a lot of MD conversions lacked the arcade challenge.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:07 pm

MD version was 1 of the 1st carts i bought for my machine-Bloody fantastic.After that? Bought the Double pack (Strider 1+2) on PSone and it`s popped up on various Capcom comps on various formats i own.Still a fantastic game. Recal seeing the awful C64 game, The US gold sequels?Looked pretty Meh, so i avoided them.Think i must own more versions of Strider, than any other game in my collection.Still hanker for the MD game, as it just felt so right with the pad.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:15 pm

I haven't played many versions, but me and my mate used to really enjoy the CPC version on his 464 back when it first came out. :)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Just found The Games Machines Review of the game:CPC version got 89% 'As fast and Furious as the 16-bit games'(Though the slide move was missing due to memory issues). Amiga:94% ST: 93%'Stunning arcade conversion...Maintaining arcade versions feel to a tee....Only pipped at the post by amiga version a smidgeon in graphics and sound'

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:35 pm

The character movement is great and I think was the main selling point back in the day. I always found the game itself to be decidely average TBH. A La Carte, Great presentation but very little meat.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Amiga conversion pulled in a massive 96% in ZZap 64.As for US Gold and Strider 2? Hmmmn.Ok, so you could change into an armour clad 'Robot' after picking up power up gubbins, you were packing a gun as well as yer sword.Game looked and felt similar to original it seems.More of a remash than true sequel.ST version got 81% in Zero Magazine.