Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
pforson
Posts: 2735
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:32 am
Location: uk london
Contact:

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by pforson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:56 am

Cauterize wrote:
ArcadeMYK wrote:They should make something like this for the SuperNES, yeh that'd be sweet
Look into the XRGB units ;)
Exactly what I was thinking. This forum is normally fairly knowledgeable, but at times the complete lack of video technology 'know-how' is astonishing.

I own an XRGB-3 and it's f-ing amazing. It can upscale anything and the results are simply unbelievable.

I can't believe this is news, its not as if far better video upscalers don't already exist :roll:
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Image

User avatar
fordie020376
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 4:29 am
Location: Southcoast UK

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by fordie020376 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:52 am

I don't mean to seem confused but on a serious note I have never had a problem with my Wii running through my HD Tv.

Am I missing something cos I have a really excellent display through the Wii with my component cables hooked up, am I just a really lucky one or not?

My TV is a 3 year old Phillips 720p HD TV.... but games like Mario Galaxy look absolutely AWESOME!!!!
Image ImageImage
Fordie

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:09 pm

Essentially, to those who think their TV does a good enough job by itself, do not buy this kit as it's not made for you. It's made for the picky twats who are never satisfied with picture quality no matter how amazing it is. That's people like me btw.
Image

speedlolita
Posts: 7056
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by speedlolita » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:22 pm

pforson wrote:I own an XRGB-3 and it's f-ing amazing. It can upscale anything and the results are simply unbelievable.

I can't believe this is news, its not as if far better video upscalers don't already exist :roll:
Also costs like £300. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Romulous
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:46 am
Location: Somewhere in Time
Contact:

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by Romulous » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:02 pm

Quality comes at a price, hence why my setup cost me quite a bit.

Is it worth it, depends on your preference to quality audio and video.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Image

User avatar
stvd
Posts: 5137
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by stvd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:39 pm

I agree, but there seems to be very few Wii titles that are worthy of upscalling.
Would you fork out a load of cash to make sure Wii Sports was crystal clear.
I wouldn't, but it's personal preference.
Image

User avatar
pforson
Posts: 2735
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:32 am
Location: uk london
Contact:

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by pforson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:42 pm

speedlolita wrote:
pforson wrote:I own an XRGB-3 and it's f-ing amazing. It can upscale anything and the results are simply unbelievable.

I can't believe this is news, its not as if far better video upscalers don't already exist :roll:
Also costs like £300. :lol:
I got mine off ebay for £165 which, although quite expensive, I think is worth it. It depends on how much you want to spend getting old consoles to look good on new screens.

I'm sure you've spent £165 on stuff I wouldn't buy :wink:
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Image

User avatar
SexyWayne
Posts: 4485
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:20 pm
Location: Kidderminster, UK

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:49 pm

pforson wrote:I'm sure you've spent £165 on stuff I wouldn't buy :wink:

I dunno, I think we could all justify spending £165 on porn :lol:

Romulous
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:46 am
Location: Somewhere in Time
Contact:

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by Romulous » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:43 pm

SexyWayne wrote:
pforson wrote:I'm sure you've spent £165 on stuff I wouldn't buy :wink:

I dunno, I think we could all justify spending £165 on porn :lol:
Or just download it and buy something else with the 165 quid.

But seriously, i enjoy watching movies DVD and Bluray, my previous TV was only 1080i which also supplied the audio, this setup was in my computer room. I also have a SONY home cinema system in our living room which sounds really impressive, but the TV is a Phillips plasma and incapable of HD.

This was why i decided to spend on my AV setup, so that i could enjoy full HD visuals and perfect Dolby True HD Audio feeds which i now have.

I dont neeccesarily think people should spend crazy money unless they spend a lot of time with the equipment.

Some people think there is very little difference in HD A/V i beg to differ, unless you have experienced it first hand then you dont really get it!
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Image

User avatar
stvd
Posts: 5137
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by stvd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:47 pm

My father-in-law has a set-up which must have cost well in excess of £15K.
His DVD/reciever thingy cost @ £2.5K, TV was £7.5K (installed), speakers (2 of which are as heavy as me!!!!!!!!!) well into the thousands.

What he likes to watch is...............nothing!
Seriously :?

He listens to the radio and watches the odd football game. I've never known him to watch any tv programme.
Or a movie for that matter.


My own dad is the same but on a lesser budget.
DVD, amp, speakers, cables, receiver etc. etc.
Thing with him is, he's virtually deaf and has crap eyesite!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
Image

User avatar
Mire Mare
Posts: 2560
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:11 am
Location: onboard the Stellar Patrol Ship Feinstein

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:48 pm

When I first read about the upscaler I found myself wondering if technology had finally made it possible to polish the proverbial. :twisted:

I don't think I'll be investing. I'm quite happy with the standard of Wii graphics on my TV.

Romulous
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:46 am
Location: Somewhere in Time
Contact:

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by Romulous » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:56 pm

stvd wrote:My father-in-law has a set-up which must have cost well in excess of £15K.
His DVD/reciever thingy cost @ £2.5K, TV was £7.5K (installed), speakers (2 of which are as heavy as me!!!!!!!!!) well into the thousands.

What he likes to watch is...............nothing!
Seriously :?

He listens to the radio and watches the odd football game. I've never known him to watch any tv programme.
Or a movie for that matter.


My own dad is the same but on a lesser budget.
DVD, amp, speakers, cables, receiver etc. etc.
Thing with him is, he's virtually deaf and has crap eyesite!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
Hehe, yeah some of the systems are well expensive, i was reading a review on 2 speakers in a home cinema mag that cost 25k pure reference speakers, crazy money, but if you have it then why not.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Image

User avatar
fordie020376
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 4:29 am
Location: Southcoast UK

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by fordie020376 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 pm

Romulous wrote:I still fancy a HD unit for my Dreamcast, now that would be sweet, would finish my setup nicely, well that and another 4 Mordaunt Short Alumni Speakers!

F**k Yeah! me too. I look on ebay every so often cos it's the only other console I really want back under my tv... I miss my Dreamcast.

I got my Xbox (2 :roll: ), 360, Wii, PS2 and PS3 under (and around) my TV but badly wanna get my Dreamcast back out on display.
Image ImageImage
Fordie

speedlolita
Posts: 7056
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by speedlolita » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:24 pm

pforson wrote:I got mine off ebay for £165 which, although quite expensive, I think is worth it. It depends on how much you want to spend getting old consoles to look good on new screens.

I'm sure you've spent £165 on stuff I wouldn't buy :wink:
I'd say you got a good buy there mate.

I'd love to own one myself, but owning a CRT makes it pretty much null. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

User avatar
Overheat
Posts: 1443
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Upscaler Gives Wii HD Output

Post by Overheat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:24 pm

I've been a What Hi-Fi subscriber for a while now and the urge to splurge is nigh-on irresistible. My first cinema setup cost about £4k, but the trouble is, even tho it was amazing and very impressive to show off, when you keep reading about hi-fi, you always want more!!!
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions | CLICK HERE

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests