The NGPC love thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

aztecca

Re: The NGPC love thread

Post by aztecca » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:20 pm

i have been playing Dynamite Slugger a lot on my NGPC.Never been interested in Baseball(Games or real).But i had been playing wii sports baseball with my son and sussed out the rules.So decided to give Dynamite slugger a go and am enjoying it.I did try Baseball stars but prefer Slugger :D

Playing quite a bit of neo 21 too i do like a game of cards(Blackjack).Cant get my head around Baccarat though.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:59 pm

Rapidmollusc wrote:The other two i have are the excellent Puzzle Bobble mini (if anyone can tell me why I've never been able to save data i'd be grateful!)
It's a duff cartridge with faulty flash memory. Seems a significant percentage of the Euro release were a bad batch, meaning all the stages are open from the off and it doesn't save your high scores. Took me three goes to find a copy that works properly. I don't think it's an issue that's been documented too highly, but it is one that should for NGPC collectors.
ShadowMan wrote:As this seems to be the best thread to ask, does anyone know how rare one of these is?:
Not sure, but I had a look through the stack of demo carts I have and I own it too. Although I'm pretty sure I've only paid 10-15 quid each for the ones I own. Then again I got most of mine years ago...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Mayhem wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:As this seems to be the best thread to ask, does anyone know how rare one of these is?:
Not sure, but I had a look through the stack of demo carts I have and I own it too. Although I'm pretty sure I've only paid 10-15 quid each for the ones I own. Then again I got most of mine years ago...
Cool, thanks for the info. Not surprised that more than likely I spent over the odds on it, then again this always happens when it comes to my Megaman collection :lol:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rapidmollusc

Post by Rapidmollusc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Rapidmollusc wrote:The other two i have are the excellent Puzzle Bobble mini (if anyone can tell me why I've never been able to save data i'd be grateful!)
It's a duff cartridge with faulty flash memory. Seems a significant percentage of the Euro release were a bad batch, meaning all the stages are open from the off and it doesn't save your high scores. Took me three goes to find a copy that works properly. I don't think it's an issue that's been documented too highly, but it is one that should for NGPC collectors.
ahh good info..i did take it back to the shop for another...but that was faulty too and never could be arsed to go back again!

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:12 pm

Mayhem wrote: It's a duff cartridge with faulty flash memory. Seems a significant percentage of the Euro release were a bad batch, meaning all the stages are open from the off and it doesn't save your high scores. Took me three goes to find a copy that works properly. I don't think it's an issue that's been documented too highly, but it is one that should for NGPC collectors.
Aha- I've had a copy of that for years and always wondered why it never saved.

Most of my favourite games for the system are obvious ones everyone's mentioned- Cardfighter's Clash, Match of the Milenium, Sonic Pocket Adventure, etc. (and because I keep forgetting to replace the battery in time, I've played these games about 3 times through) but I haven't seen any mention of Metal Slug 2nd Mission. Absolutely huge for an action game on this system, with 100 prisoners to rescue, loads of alternate paths, time trial missions, different weapon sets for both characters and one of the enemy soldiers as a playable character. I've lost a lot of time to this one!
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:02 pm

No mention for Cotton either, yet! The only shooter and a very good port of its arcade parent. Well worth it (even if costs a bit!) :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:14 pm

I would love a Neo Geo pocket Colour, ebay prices are a bit expensive so I will have to look around for one, I might get lucky at a carboot.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:11 pm

nokgod wrote:No mention for Cotton either, yet! The only shooter and a very good port of its arcade parent. Well worth it (even if costs a bit!) :D
Good call, Cotton is brilliant.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:53 pm

I only have 4 games for mine. Will get a few more soon. That Cotton fetches a high price, smashing game tho.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:47 am

ShadowMan wrote:The other game that gets a lot of playtime on my NGPC is Rockman Battle and Fighters. Bit easy compared to the arcade releases but I really like the NES styled sprites the game used. I wish it came in a clamshell like the UK NGPC games did though as those are easily my favourite game cases ever. A nice size and they can't get squished like the flimsy Gameboy cardboard boxes.

As this seems to be the best thread to ask, does anyone know how rare one of these is?:

Its a Japanese demo cart of Rockman B&F that I picked up a while back off of Yahoo Auctions Japan.
I've got one of those with green writing on it. It's a Sonic the Hedgehog demo cart. I think I paid about $100AU for mine. It was a few years ago, but that's the figure that's coming to mind when I think about it...

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:52 am

27 in my collection :) I think I've got two of the consoles left (one being the slimmer model). Did have three, but one had to go when I needed some dosh.

Card Fighters Clash is easily the best game on the system. I've completed both versions fully including getting all the cards that require two players, thanks to a mate with an NGPC and both versions. I even hooked the game up to my DC, though I can't remember what that did haha.

Possibly the best thing I bought NGPC-wise was a Pocket Linker as it allows me to stick a copy of any game I own on a second console and play head-to-head, something the gf and I often do on journeys. Nothing like a frantic game of Puyo Pop or Match of the Millennium to pass the time :)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:35 am

Absolutely love the NGPC! It's a system I knew absolutely nothing about until I signed up here :D quite sad that I'd never seen one in a shop back in the day.

Mine has a bad backup battery, it occasionally pops up with a warning message, I've got no idea how to fix it :lol:

Games-wise I only have a couple of carts. Sonic Pocket Adventure & Gals Fighter are the two that get the most playtime :D great fun!

Only downside is the steep price of most of the games :(

Gonna try get a cart of the baseball game :D that sounds good!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:39 pm

Because a few of you here might be interested to see, these are the demo carts I have for the NGPC...

Rayne wrote:Mine has a bad backup battery, it occasionally pops up with a warning message, I've got no idea how to fix it :lol:
Take a coin to the back, it's the round battery cover with the flat watch battery inside. I generally don't use it now anyways, it only keeps a few details handy when you switch the machine off.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:58 pm

Mayhem wrote:Because a few of you here might be interested to see, these are the demo carts I have for the NGPC...

Rayne wrote:Mine has a bad backup battery, it occasionally pops up with a warning message, I've got no idea how to fix it :lol:
Take a coin to the back, it's the round battery cover with the flat watch battery inside. I generally don't use it now anyways, it only keeps a few details handy when you switch the machine off.
Very nice :D What differences are there beween the demo carts and the full ones? Rockman cut out the second and third scenario's for each game but I'd be interested in what is/isn't included in Fatal Fury or SNK Vs Capcom.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:03 pm

Mayhem wrote:Because a few of you here might be interested to see, these are the demo carts I have for the NGPC...

How and where did you locate these mate? Never seen any of these anywhere....ever! Also what sort of cost we looking at?

Lovely to see though 8)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)