The NGPC love thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Smurph

The NGPC love thread

Post by Smurph » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:42 pm

God, Faselei! is good...

I've been well and truly bitten by the bug for collecting on the NGPC (my paltry collection has almost doubled in the last few weeks, mostly thanks to Trev!), and there's a lot of chat about getting that copy of Shanghai Mini (or not, as the case may be :lol: ) but very little about the playing of them, so all that will change with this thread. Unless it's ignored, in which case I hate you all.

So, while I know quite a few games at the expensive end of the collection are, well, a bit poo, I've been having a blast on my newer games. Faselei as I said is on the go now, and it's rather tremendous. I must admit, I thought it might be a bit pants, but it's a great wee strategic thing - although I'm unsure as to what way to go on the upgrades front for my TS - should I buy another one? Can you unlock more slots to hold weapons/armour on a TS you already have? I'm on chapter 3 and I'm running out of ammo pretty sharpish too, don't seem to have enough room in my backpack for all the reloads I need. Any tips will be much appreciated.

So what's everyone else playing at the moment?
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

nokgod

Re: The NGPC love thread

Post by nokgod » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Neo Geo Cup '98. Without doubt the best handheld footy game ever :D I only ever mean to have a quick exhibition game and always end up playing through the World Cup at least once. Power up your boots, give your forwards some stamina....job's a good 'un 8)

As for Faselei....i haven't given that a lot of time yet, tbh. I think i'm going to take that away on holiday, so i can get my head around it properly.

Shanghai Mini is actually (imo) pretty good...a nice relaxing pair 'em up game. Now i understand what the hell is going on, i'm really rather liking it :) and as is my want, i'm giving Pacman his usual run out!

Marvellous machine, that was/is criminally underrated. Love it, love it, love it.....you getting the idea? :lol:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 pm

Cardfighter Clash. Lost god knows how many hours to that... but I've hardly ever played a two player match...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:12 am

BioMotor Unitron, non-stop. Got an unstoppable Lizard machine at the moment (well, still the same one I built when I bought the game in 2000 - THAT's gone quick!).
Attained the title of Master of Masters long ago, got all the elemental badges from the dungeons, had both the bad and good endings... Now I've sold all my badges to that mystical woman in the village. Been waiting for something to happen with that, but nothing yet.

If it's not BioMotor Unitron, it's Sonic Pocket Adventure, the best handheld Sonic game ever made. Still haven't found all the puzzle pieces, so don't know what happens when they're all found. Worth the effort? Of course!

Agreeing with Neo Geo Cup '98 as well, this and FIFA '98 are my favourite football games ever (also, two out of the three footy games that I actually like). Cameroon's my team of choice - not the fastest or most skillful of teams, but they make up for it in amazing stamina.

Metal Slug 1st Mission is my fourth most-played game, and Puzzle Bobble Mini is my fifth. Looking forward to possible link-up games at Sheffield, yes!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:19 am

SNK Vs Capcom Match of the Millenium. Its still my favourite fighter to ever grace a handheld and thanks to the NGPC's joystick it controls flawlessly making moves and combo's a doddle to pull off. Plus there are so many different match types and mini games I have yet to get bored with the game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:23 am

Ash is collecting Neo Geo Pocket titles as well at the moment and he showed my SNK Vs Capcom the other day. It's really nice.
I myself have about 15 games but they are all cartridges. I'm guessing you lot are going for packaging and all.

James A

Post by James A » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:37 am

I need to get back collecting Neo Geo Pocket stuff again. Stopped collecting when i lost my job but now im back in work i should try to pick some more pieces up.

Rapidmollusc

Post by Rapidmollusc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:41 am

i only ever got the sum total of 3 games! Turf Masters is the one that usually occupies the slot, easily my favourite golf game of all time. The other two i have are the excellent Puzzle Bobble mini (if anyone can tell me why I've never been able to save data i'd be grateful!) and the very good Sonic Pocket.

Neo Geo Cup 98 sounds fun..how much does this normally go for? Any recommendations on the super cheap side of things??

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:46 am

I've never been able to save data in Puzzle Bobble Mini either...

If you're not bothered about the boxes, you can get pretty much every game for cheap - sometimes in bundles of six for £30 or something.
Neo Geo Cup '98 sits happily at the cheaper end of things, even boxed, so no problems there.
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:49 am

ShadowMan wrote:SNK Vs Capcom Match of the Millenium. Its still my favourite fighter to ever grace a handheld and thanks to the NGPC's joystick it controls flawlessly making moves and combo's a doddle to pull off. Plus there are so many different match types and mini games I have yet to get bored with the game.
FACT x pi
Rapidmollusc wrote:Neo Geo Cup 98 sounds fun..how much does this normally go for? Any recommendations on the super cheap side of things??
Can pick that up for around a fiver complete.

Not really spend too much time with the NGPC since Summer, trying to get those last 3 games, link cable and 2 boxed consoles - Silver & Anthracite.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:51 am

Anthracite... That's my one :D

I'd've preferred the blue camo styled one, but being an Xmas pressie in 1999, I didn't get much say in the matter. Obviously grown to love the Anthracite one over the years. Have you seen those urine yellow ones?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:58 am

The other game that gets a lot of playtime on my NGPC is Rockman Battle and Fighters. Bit easy compared to the arcade releases but I really like the NES styled sprites the game used. I wish it came in a clamshell like the UK NGPC games did though as those are easily my favourite game cases ever. A nice size and they can't get squished like the flimsy Gameboy cardboard boxes.

As this seems to be the best thread to ask, does anyone know how rare one of these is?:

Its a Japanese demo cart of Rockman B&F that I picked up a while back off of Yahoo Auctions Japan.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:27 pm

How much did you pay for it?
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:36 pm

The Angry Jock wrote:How much did you pay for it?
Good question, I think it was around 9000 yen. I don't remember how much that was back then in £ but I thought it would make a nice collectable for my collection either way.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:56 pm

£65 in new money :)
Retropassion reborn