Bejewelled - how I hate you

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

flying_delorean81

Re: Bejewelled - how I hate you

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Both my girlfriend and I are addicted to Bejeweled 3. We sit at our laptops like mindless drones matching jewels endlessly... :shock:

We've had to enforce time restrictions on our Bejeweled playing or else we'd literally get nothing done!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Just reviewed bejewelled 3 for the mag and it really is hellishly addictive

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:14 pm

flying_delorean81 wrote:Both my girlfriend and I are addicted to Bejeweled 3. We sit at our laptops like mindless drones matching jewels endlessly... :shock:

We've had to enforce time restrictions on our Bejeweled playing or else we'd literally get nothing done!
What's the differences over 2 deluxe? I still play that game on a daily basis.....even have the damn thing on my phone :lol:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Freestyler wrote:Some of these games (Puzzle Quest, Puzzle Quest: Galactrix etc.) suffer from the most unimaginably cheating AI you've ever seen.
It can swing from insanely easy to utterly rock-solid hard, even during the same game.

Not least is the fact that the AI seems extraordinarily "Lucky" just when it needs to be, and can wipe you out with a single move that you couldn't possibly have seen coming. Even if you were seconds away from victory.
I'm in two minds about whether it's "cheating" AI as such. I've played a lot of Puzzle Quest and it can be annoying to see the computer come from miles behind and win through a lucky combo. But ... there's a random element to the game, and I've fluked plenty of easy wins and undeserved victories through those same lucky combos that people say is the AI cheating. I think it's just something that goes with the territory. Generally, in Puzzle Quest if your character is set up right and your spell set is solid you're going to be hard to beat and only a truly outrageous combo can bring you down. I've honestly not seen many of those.

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix is entirely different. It's a lot harder to predict what your moves are going to do with the board. As a result of this you often find yourself sitting back and watching in utter disbelief and horror as the enemy ship you had on the bones of its arse proceeds to cane you into oblivion with an astronomically improbable series of combos from out of nowhere. I don't see any cheating here, just incredibly pisspoor game design.

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Yep, I used to say to myself "I'll just play that a couple of times before I go or before I do (X)" then - whoops, twenty minutes have passed and I'm still playing the f*cker! Not bothered with it for many months now though, nor those pure-evil Zynga things I used to be involved in.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:47 am

Bejeweled 3 has a couple of major problems - no Steam cloud save and no online high scores. Shame.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:10 am

Playing it on the Itouch as often as I take in a breath of air.....

what is it with these games?

If they could grind it down into a powder and sell it on street corners I would be a shivering addict working the streets in my mini skirt for my next fix
:shock:

I think I better go to work...

Now where's that leather mini skirt?

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:27 am

Megamixer wrote:I'm playing it again...damnit.

On a similar note of time-wasting addictive games, did that DS version of Peggle ever actually get released?
Yep, it's called "Peggle Dual Shot". There's also a DS version of "Plants vs Zombies" coming soon.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:36 am

7 wonders for is good. And Bejeweled 3 on pc has just been release which is amazing as it has alot of different play modes. The treasure digging one is amazingly addictive.

chewy

Post by chewy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:30 am

I had to delete Bejewelled from my phone. It really is addictive!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:02 am

Never played myself, in fact not played a puzzle game since Lumines and Puzzle Fighter before it.

I just don't seem to be able to get into them.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:20 am

Have to agree with the Zoo Keeper shouts; got a version for PS2, and it is a horrendous amount of fun! It's this sort of game that's perfect for firing up and killing the daily commute. :o

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:20 am

The only problem with Zoo Keeper is the absolutely horrible quest mode. Which you can't unlock some functions without playing. Still, it's the best of the Bejewelled clones by some way - and is a lot of fun if you avoid that one mode once you've completed it once.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:02 pm

skylarking wrote:
Megamixer wrote:I'm playing it again...damnit.

On a similar note of time-wasting addictive games, did that DS version of Peggle ever actually get released?
Yep, it's called "Peggle Dual Shot".
Highly recommended. 8)
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Anyone got a copy of Zoo Keeper going cheap? £20 on Amazon o: