Bejewelled - how I hate you

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Bejewelled - how I hate you

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:54 am

Never played one of these games before but I've recently become semi-addicted to the Facebook version. It's like pure crack, I can't stop playing it.

Don't suppose there's a DS version available by any chance...?

:)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Smurph

Re: Bejewelled - how I hate you

Post by Smurph » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:05 am

No, but Zoo Keeper is basically exactly the same. Bye bye free time!
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Nienna

Post by Nienna » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:15 am

Thats the beggining of the end for you. It starts with one game and before you know it you can't go through your day to day life without facebook games. :wink:
As quoted by Mike Wilson: plz join my group i need justice for my son!! Just join my group and pass it on n so on!! plz help me and most of all help Liam get justice http://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-f ... 9196440290

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:19 am

Smurph wrote:No, but Zoo Keeper is basically exactly the same. Bye bye free time!
Actually there is - it's just been released in the US.

You could also try 'Jewel Quest' on the DS which is a blatant rip off - it's basic but very addictive.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:24 am

I'd say Zoo Keeper > Bejeweled,
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:55 am

batman877 wrote:
Smurph wrote:No, but Zoo Keeper is basically exactly the same. Bye bye free time!
Actually there is - it's just been released in the US.

You could also try 'Jewel Quest' on the DS which is a blatant rip off - it's basic but very addictive.
Shh. :wink:
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:59 am

Jewel Quest is the better of them, with a vague sense of upgrading and special weapons for your 'character' such as it is.

After a while you do realise (as with all these games) it cheats like mad at higher levels.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:16 pm

I'm playing it again...damnit.

On a similar note of time-wasting addictive games, did that DS version of Peggle ever actually get released?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Megamixer wrote:Never played one of these games before but I've recently become semi-addicted to the Facebook version. It's like pure crack, I can't stop playing it.

Don't suppose there's a DS version available by any chance...?

:)
Get Bejewelled 2 on Live Arcade! It's fabulous! 8)
Just don't for the LIFE of you try to get any of the Achievements. It's virtually impossible.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:17 pm

There is as well Cradle of Rome and Cradle of Egypt, which I've become addicted to on the DS. Both play the same as Bejeweled, great fun to play and become fiendish later on.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:47 pm

I must admit i play Bejeweled 2 Deluxe on the PC almost daily. :oops:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:03 pm

After getting 'hooked' on DS Puzzle Quest whilst doing a night shift at work, and becoming a 'victim' of it, let me just say that in terms of drugs, it is comparable to cigarettes - highly addictive, vaguely enjoyable yet never really offering a 'high' worth experiencing, for all the ill effects it possesses (in this case total repetition, a bad waste of good time that could be spent playing something more epic and worthy, and the nagging frustration you get when you realise you've spent 18 hours playing it and that not only is the CPU a massive cheater, the game is ALWAYS the same and the overall enterprise will fill only your soul in the same way that those 'celebrity laps' on Top Gear do.)

"WINNERS DON'T USE PUZZLE QUEST"

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:04 am

There's plenty of clones on the DS, the best probably being Zoo Keeper. Others are 7 Wonders 1+2, Jewel Quest, Jewel Match and Cradle of Rome/Egypt. There's probably a few dozen more than that :lol:

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:02 am

Some of these games (Puzzle Quest, Puzzle Quest: Galactrix etc.) suffer from the most unimaginably cheating AI you've ever seen.
It can swing from insanely easy to utterly rock-solid hard, even during the same game.

Not least is the fact that the AI seems extraordinarily "Lucky" just when it needs to be, and can wipe you out with a single move that you couldn't possibly have seen coming. Even if you were seconds away from victory.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.