NIntendo announces a new DS! introducing the 3DS

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C=Style

NIntendo announces a new DS! introducing the 3DS

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:30 pm

Nintendo has just slipped out a press release in Japan informing the world that all-new 3D-capable portable hardware is coming, with a full unveiling set for E3 2010 this June. Tentatively titled the 3DS

link

What does everyone think to this then?

Just want to make it clear, this is not just another minor update to the DS, it's the next generation of Nintendo handhelds as it were.

After watching that demo on the DSi click here I am very excited for what the future holds! Could be great! I think 3D is definitely the way to go with these little handhelds.

edit: Just wanted to ad that it's also rumoured to share the same power as the Gamecube. Now that's quite powerful.

lostSUNDAY

Re: NIntendo announces a new DS! introducing the 3DS

Post by lostSUNDAY » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:34 pm

Doh you beat me with a minute. ;)

**Deleting topic**

Well, im not very excited. Need more solid info before i can make a fair judgement.
Play for Today My SEGA youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/lostSUND4Y

Simon14

Post by Simon14 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Your Kidding.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:50 pm

Meh.

Everyone knows you should hold off and buy the second iteration :D Gameboy Pocket, GBA SP, DS Lite...

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Even if this is true, question`s i`d want answered would be:1)How long before european release and how much MORE would we be paying? 2)Whats Battery life like? 3)If it`s as powerfull as G.C, Does that mean likes of Capcom, Nintendo gonna just port over load of G.C titles to get established software base up from the off or will we see new titles? and finally? will it get better 3rd party support than the G.C did?. :?

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:03 pm

Because I've been drinkin this afternoon (yeah I know, tuesday afternoon) that video was either me being pissed or some clever graphics going on there. I'll be amazed if the (pseudo?) 3d graphics on the DS outmatched their home console equivs.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:09 pm

:? If that`s the real mcoy, Tech wise, then the processing power required for the hardware, gotta be a real MOTHER on Battery life, has`nt it?-I mean we are what? on 4th Gen.of PSP hardware and thats only doing 2D on 1 screen.So True 3D in colour on 2 screens?..........

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:09 pm

Does this mean Gunpei Yokoi is getting his job back or gotten his job back?

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:18 pm

will2097 wrote:Does this mean Gunpei Yokoi is getting his job back or gotten his job back?
:oops: Erm, he died in 1997 mate.Car Accident i think....

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:26 pm

So they finally found something cool to do with the Wii Remote then: Ouija board. That works! Wait until Julia Peasgood gets a load of this.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:28 pm

will2097 wrote:So they finally found something cool to do with the Wii Remote then: Ouija board. That works! Wait until Julia Peasgood gets a load of this.
:lol:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:02 pm

thevulture wrote::? If that`s the real mcoy, Tech wise, then the processing power required for the hardware, gotta be a real MOTHER on Battery life, has`nt it?-I mean we are what? on 4th Gen.of PSP hardware and thats only doing 2D on 1 screen.So True 3D in colour on 2 screens?..........
None of that is worth worrying about, Nintendo handhelds have always had great battery life.

I'm pretty excited, it's got full BC with the DS, the 3D screen can be turned on or off so it's not limited to purely 3D titles. I think this is gonna work, just like how everyone dismissed the DS for having 2 screens (similar concerns on battery life were brought up then too) and yet it turned out to be a really good idea. I think if there's one company you can bet on taking high risk ideaas yet making them work it's Nintendo.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:12 pm

True but, If we are talking a machine that power wise not only matches a Game Cube, But does it in true 3D would that not mean drawing same image, twice? on 2 screens, then Battery power surely got to take a hit, espically when entire device needs to be small enough to be portable.Battery life always seemed to be THE bane of any colour Handheld that offered some serious kit under the hood.Or maybe it will be the GBA all over again-No backlit screen on 1st model, so Nintendo can sting you with the SP edition :wink: The potential, however IF they can pull it off, is amazing!. I`d much rather see inovation like this, than say the PSP Go route-I.e do away with any physical media and make it DL only.(Unless?To save battery power, it goes download only as well)

Nienna

Post by Nienna » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Very interesting. Will have to keep an eye out for more info.
As quoted by Mike Wilson: plz join my group i need justice for my son!! Just join my group and pass it on n so on!! plz help me and most of all help Liam get justice http://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-f ... 9196440290

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Given the time of year, I smell a likely early "April Fools" joke from Nintendo...
Where logic won't work, I will