An idea I had the other day (warchest).....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mr Vengeance

An idea I had the other day (warchest).....

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:55 pm

I might as well share this idea on Retro Gamer, seeing as it was inspired by Darren... well one of his videos.

Anyway, he was asking in one of his vids how people pay for games. He mentioned he knew of someone who would put money away regularly into what he called a "Warchest", and whenever he saw a really rare item on eBay, he'd generally have the money in the Warchest to pay for it. Whoever this chap was, he wouldn't end up blowing his wages on rarities basically because he'd have saved up enough generally to pay for them.

So what I'm doing goes a bit smilar to this (its probably been done before no doubt). I've got an old money tin, and in it I've been throwing the odd note or two into it whenever I've had a bit of loose money or whatever. Now what I plan on doing is not opening the tin for six months or so from the point it was closed - thinking I'll opening it in August. Anyway, whatever few bob I had I'm going to treat myself to something on eBay I'd not normally pay for out of my wages. I'm thinking maybe Radiant Silvergun on the Saturn or Waku Waku 7 on the Neo Geo. I won't miss the money as I'll have been putting away small amounts.

Anyone else interested in joinging me in this? Could be a bit of fun :D I'd suggest the following if you are:

- Try and put only tiny amounts into the Warchest so you don't miss it

- Try to forget how much is in there!

- Put money into it from whatever you have left before payday if you're paid weekly

- Sellotape the thing shut so you don't get tempted to raid it early!

So mine is getting opened in August then. After that I might close it up again and do the same thing for a year - maybe the year after I might finally have enough money for something truly rare on the AES -a Metal Slug or Garou: Mark of the Wolves for example! :shock:
Nintendo DS games: 41

speedlolita

Re: An idea I had the other day.....

Post by speedlolita » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:58 pm

I don't think I want anything enough to do this, it's a nice idea though. :lol:

I guess Mushihimesama if I wanted to simply just buy it on eBay for £80. :?
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Graedient

Post by Graedient » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:05 pm

It's a very good idea, and an idea I've toyed with in the past but I'm too worried about burglary to keep sizable cash in the house.

I'd be saving nearly a hundred per month, maybe more (to buy a Neo Geo, new PC, ice machine) and savings accounts are cack.

Maybe I need a safe?
Youtube | Trades & Sales | Twitter | Wanted: Super Pang (SNES) [Cart Only]

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:15 pm

I do something similar.

I send money back each month to my bank account in Scotland, then, each time we travel back to see the parents then i have a sum of money that i use to pick up preowned games.

It works well for me and means that i dont splurge money on games that will cost me an arm and a leg, ok so i have to wait a while to get the latest games, but i dont really care that much about getting them on release day, well not all of them. :D
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:18 pm

I tried different methods like this but ultimately failed every time. My problem? Browsing ebay with no intention of buying then seeing something that you HAVE to have. 'Tis a slippery slope of no recovery :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:30 pm

Megamixer wrote:I tried different methods like this but ultimately failed every time. My problem? Browsing ebay with no intention of buying then seeing something that you HAVE to have. 'Tis a slippery slope of no recovery :)
I've got a coffe jar in my bedside locker.... in fact I've got two :lol:

In one I've got a sum of money thats for life's eventualities, which I often raid for eBay :roll: Its really there for stuff like vet bills or stuff that comes up that I wasn't expecting. I bought my Saturn easrlier this year from part of it!

The second coffee jar is for cash for games. If I've money left over into that it will go! Until I hit eBay that is....

The warchest is separate all together.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:02 pm

I've done this with money for RR. Mind you, I did work out how much for this and that, and I bought a pair of £30 trainers (down from £55, I might add) but I've still got plenty for the event. I'm going to try and do the same thing afterwards for a holiday and some spending money as well. This has worked for me so far.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:10 pm

For retro stuff, I only buy with money thats in my paypal account from selling. I don't ever add money to my account, and rarely withdraw it.

I haven't been buying much modern stuff until recently, as I've only just got a Wii and I'm still waiting for a killer PS3 deal before splashing out.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:46 pm

I used to do this when I was at university- any money I had left at the end of the week was promptly stuffed into a rampy-tamp envelope referred to as the Super Secret Secret Stash. I'd use this money, and only this money, to buy things I wanted rather than needed, and kept changing its hiding place so it wouldn't be found. I was able to pick up a lot of cool Sega Saturn games and get a copy of Earthbound Zero with this system without feeling guilt, and it's a system that worked surprisingly well...

... Except for that one week when I lost it while I was back home. I believe my exact words were "There's a tatty envelope in this house somewhere. I think it's got about £100 in it, could one of you lot help me find it?" and then pandemonium ensued. It later turned up, shoved into one of my uni books...
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:56 pm

I go through phases of saving all the £2 coins I get. They aren't that common that you would be putting all your money away, but they soon add up. I am always amazed how quick I get to £100.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Megamixer wrote:I tried different methods like this but ultimately failed every time. My problem? Browsing ebay with no intention of buying then seeing something that you HAVE to have. 'Tis a slippery slope of no recovery :)
This.

It's amazing how many once-in-a-lifetime must have's are on every day. I should really just block ebay from my computer all together

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:23 pm

Nice idea but I couldn't do that as I'm hopeless with money, I fully admit that. Terrible at saving.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:59 pm

I gave up smoking, the extra 150+ quid a month has certainly helped me tick off all the games I ever wanted.. Only a few left now and then insanely expensive ones that I wouldnt go near
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:57 pm

C=Style wrote:Nice idea but I couldn't do that as I'm hopeless with money, I fully admit that. Terrible at saving.
Its not an idea in which you "save" - saving is more like putting like a tenner or twenty away on a regular basis - the Warchest idea is more like "throwing away" money you don't want into a "bin" so to speak. Ever get a manky fiver and don't want to put it into your wallet? "Bin" it. Hate a heavy pocketful of coins? Offload half of them, etc.

Give it a go anyway - by August you might have say, 80 quid to spend on some rare Saturn shooter you've always wanted, or some crap for that Wii of yours ;) :lol:
Dam wrote:For retro stuff, I only buy with money thats in my paypal account from selling. I don't ever add money to my account, and rarely withdraw it.
Thats a very good idea. Thing is I never sell my own stuff on eBay - I keep everything I buy. I was actually thinking of offloading one of my two mint boxed Pokemon Game Boy Colors which I picked up for pennies a few years ago - thing is I'm too much of a collector to sell anything, though I'm begining to think about buying cheap rare titles I see in shops that I don't want myself, and selling them on eBay to make a few quid, then re-investing this money in games I want for myself.

"Donated" another fiver to the 'Chest tonight :D
Tepid Snake wrote:I used to do this when I was at university- any money I had left at the end of the week was promptly stuffed into a rampy-tamp envelope referred to as the Super Secret Secret Stash. I'd use this money, and only this money, to buy things I wanted rather than needed, and kept changing its hiding place so it wouldn't be found. I was able to pick up a lot of cool Sega Saturn games and get a copy of Earthbound Zero with this system without feeling guilt, and it's a system that worked surprisingly well...

... Except for that one week when I lost it while I was back home. I believe my exact words were "There's a tatty envelope in this house somewhere. I think it's got about £100 in it, could one of you lot help me find it?" and then pandemonium ensued. It later turned up, shoved into one of my uni books...
Great story :)
Rayne wrote:
This.

It's amazing how many once-in-a-lifetime must have's are on every day. I should really just block ebay from my computer all together
I spent a ridiculous amount of time on eBay this week - time better spent studying or.....playing games 8)

Didn't find the stuff I was looking for sadly, and won nowt. :roll:

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:30 pm

I've got the point where I'm just buying stuff for the hell of it when I have money.

I should start trying to restrain myself. :oops:

EDIT:

I might do this in order to get a 32/37" plasma TV.

I might spend about £150 this month on speakers and an amp for it though. We shall see.
Logged out 15/07/2014.