Dom Diamond interviewed

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Re: Dom Diamond interviewed

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:10 am

the_hawk wrote:
SirClive wrote: Internet killed print media
Hmmmmmm.....

Killed in the sense that revenues and circulations are a fraction of what they were in the 80s.
The internet provides everything that you get in a mag (just not necessarilly as portable).

mrspud

Post by mrspud » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:31 am

Freestyler wrote:Oh, and Channel 4 should NOT bring Gamesmaster back to the TV Screen (as apparently they're hoping to do) as the introduction of the Internet has basically killed magazine-style format show stone dead. Why wait for some minor Z-list "Celebrity" to do a challenge on Gamesmaster so you can see the game in action, when you can Youtube 500 clips yourself? Why listen to Company-paid-for reviews from "The man" when you can read and watch real proper reviews from real actual people online?
I disagree with this. For me, Gamesmaster wasn't just about watching reviews or trying to get a glimpse of new software. A large part was the challenges, the banter, even the pantomime. I'd watch a Gamemaster style show over a youtube review of a game with no real production values every time.
New Amiga, SAM Coupé and Speccy games available at http://blackjet.co.uk

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:41 am

SirClive wrote:
the_hawk wrote:
Hmmmmmm.....

Killed in the sense that revenues and circulations are a fraction of what they were in the 80s.
The internet provides everything that you get in a mag (just not necessarilly as portable).
Video killed the radio star. :wink:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:44 am

the_hawk wrote:
Hmmmmmm.....

HOLY FREAKING censored!!

Thats a big fish

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:47 am

Oh by the way, I downloaded the interview & had a wee listen to about the first 20 minutes this morning. Good interview so far.

I thought I didn't like Gamesmaster, but it was my memory playing tricks. When they played the theme music & some of the clips I thought "Oh yeah I LOVED that & watched it every week religiously"

It was only in the later half of the 90's when I got bored with playing computer games that I lost interest in it.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:59 am

the_hawk wrote:Oh by the way, I downloaded the interview & had a wee listen to about the first 20 minutes this morning. Good interview so far.

I thought I didn't like Gamesmaster, but it was my memory playing tricks. When they played the theme music & some of the clips I thought "Oh yeah I LOVED that & watched it every week religiously"

It was only in the later half of the 90's when I got bored with playing computer games that I lost interest in it.
I think it became less and less abuot games as it went on. When it finished in...1996 I think the whole show was centred around censored jokes, off the wall humour and making attractive looking women do challenges which showed off their bodies. Happy days :twisted:
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:13 am

DPrinny wrote:
the_hawk wrote:
Hmmmmmm.....

HOLY FREAKING censored!!

Thats a big fish
or that`s a very small chap holding it. :wink:

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:14 am

Does the interview mention the less than flattering Gamesmaster piece on Rare where three million viewers were introduced to the "Physically unattractive Stamper brothers" via Dominik's voice over?

I haven't ever seen the clip in question but having read about it I've always wondered about how bad a roasting he gave them.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:48 pm

Rory Milne wrote:Does the interview mention the less than flattering Gamesmaster piece on Rare where three million viewers were introduced to the "Physically unattractive Stamper brothers" via Dominik's voice over?

I haven't ever seen the clip in question but having read about it I've always wondered about how bad a roasting he gave them.
Nope fraid not.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:02 pm

Listened to it twice now, it was just like being back in the 90's! Really enjoyed the interview and great insight into the show. I sent the guys at Digital Cowboy an email to thank them for it, got a nice reply back. Apparently DD is up for hosting a GamesMaster remake, lets just hope they give him a call!

station

Post by station » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:09 pm

I lost respect for Dominic Diamond when he did that program on being crucified with full intention of doing it, and then bottled out right at the end.

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:06 am

Just pimped the interview on DigitalSpy and AVForums, so that'll hopefully bring the listenership up! :D

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:15 am

station wrote:I lost respect for Dominic Diamond when he did that program on being crucified with full intention of doing it, and then bottled out right at the end.
Yeah! Fancy not going through with being crucified! :roll:

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:48 am

stvd wrote:
station wrote:I lost respect for Dominic Diamond when he did that program on being crucified with full intention of doing it, and then bottled out right at the end.
Yeah! Fancy not going through with being crucified! :roll:
Then maybe he shouldn't have made a programme about how he WAS going to do it.

Anyway I listened to the rest of the podcast this morning. I always thought Dominic Diamond was a bit of a dick, but I reckon I was wrong. I really enjoyed the podcast & thought he came across as a genuinely funny, likeable guy.

Just shows you I guess.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:06 am

SirClive wrote:
Freestyler wrote:Oh, and Channel 4 should NOT bring Gamesmaster back to the TV Screen (as apparently they're hoping to do) as the introduction of the Internet has basically killed magazine-style format show stone dead. Why wait for some minor Z-list "Celebrity" to do a challenge on Gamesmaster so you can see the game in action, when you can Youtube 500 clips yourself? Why listen to Company-paid-for reviews from "The man" when you can read and watch real proper reviews from real actual people online?

All that will happen is the show gets made - people won't watch (for the above reasons) and the show will get cancelled, stating "Low viewer numbers" and no other (read: MUCH BETTER) videogames programs will be commissioned. :roll:
Completely disagree with you. Internet killed print media, not TV. So long as they make it entertaining then it matters not a jot if you can find other stuff on the internet.
Check your TV viewing figures over the past 2 years! :lol:
Seriously though, TV companies are in such a state over declining viewing that they're in full panic mode, and are constantly hassling the Government to "allow" them all to dip into the TV License fee. It's not gonna' happen, but for how long? :?

It's the Advertisers. Nobody will pay to advertise on TV that nobody watches. So there's no money coming in to make decent TV programs. Just the Reality TV-style dross that's killing the TV schedules for the last several years. :cry:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.