Birthday Metrosexual (Metro 2033)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sepp Salerno

Birthday Metrosexual (Metro 2033)

Post by Sepp Salerno » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:09 pm

I’ve not long got back from a short break in Sweden. I love that country, and my better half and me spent a week wondering around Stockholm trying hard not to freeze while enjoying the shops, bars, and saunas. It was our joint birthday 'do' as we’re both March babies, my better half being the 7th and me being 20th.

The city was covered in snow, and it was so cold that the rivers had frozen solid with the boats, barges and ships stuck in them – it was very other worldly and frostbitten much like the look of Metro 2033, which I hadn’t heard anything about until reading about it in an unnamed 360 magazine on the train back to Wales.

It's come just in time as I was proper stuck for game ideas for the mrs to get for me for my birthday, there wasn’t that much that really struck me (although Mass Effect 2 is a definite)

but after reading about Metro 2033 (which comes out on the day before my birthday) I was actually salivating, I am sereous, what I've read about it has got me so excited. It sounds incredible – apocalyptic, survival horror, dark, glooming and bible blackly claustrophic, with a supply handout that apparently gives you ‘just enough’ ammo so you are constantly counting bullets, just like in the oldschool days of Resident Evil before it went all gunho and totally forgot it's roots.

I’m sold. I could read review after review for this game that says it’s the shoddiest piece of 360 shat since ‘Alone in the Dark’ but I have to bite and taste it for myself. It's a fps that seems to tatally stand alone it how it laysdown firepower.

Anyone else care about this somewhat overlooked slow burner? Hopefully it’ll be another Dead Space, which had no hype and was for me the best games I’ve ever played.

Joey

Re: Birthday Metrosexual (Metro 2033)

Post by Joey » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Yes ive been following this game too and it looks fantastic.

It got its first review and scored 90%

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=238906

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Joey wrote:Yes ive been following this game too and it looks fantastic.

It got its first review and scored 90%

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=238906
Legend! The more I read, the more childishly excited I get :D :D :D

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:14 am

1st Person? Check.
Dystopian future setting? Check.
Guns, lots of guns. Check.
Hard-as-nails Protagonist, probably called "John." ? Check.

Wow, so unique! It's like a censored snowflake! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:39 am

Freestyler wrote:1st Person? Check.
Dystopian future setting? Check.
Guns, lots of guns. Check.
Hard-as-nails Protagonist, probably called "John." ? Check.

Wow, so unique! It's like a censored snowflake! :lol:
Near to no ammo tho. Never seen that before, near all fps are firepower hungry and are p*ss easy, from what I've read this isnt at all and from what I've read it's nothing like anyother fps, but that's just what I've read not played it for myself yet

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:43 am

downloading it now... :lol:

will let you know , if it stands up to it's hype.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:13 am

This game better not turn out to be sh*te, or I might have to buy Modern Warfare and be done with it because nothing seems to be all that exciting at the moment

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:03 am

Battlefield : Bad Company 2 was brilliant..really enjoyed it, but with only about 7-8hrs in the single player campaign I wanted it to last longer..but what other than RPG's last more than 8hrs in the FPS range?..none of them..and then they glam it out with the multi-player options, but useless to folk who have no interest in on-line play :roll:

Burning Metro now..won't be long for the teaser review
↓↓Click Link to See More

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:26 am

Okay I've played it now for the last Hour, it's very atmospheric and has allot of high detail and texturing is very well done, I've encountered the first set of enemies which appear to be some of mutant type wolf/dog, and are tuff to take down if you don't make your rounds count. Also there is a trading system which involves trading Bullets for first aid kits, guns , ammo etc.. the other characters are very well modelled and the voice overs are spot regarding the Russian feel to the game in the Post Apocalyptic future, Also you have to wear a gas mask when heading outside and this can lose pressure while out doors, so you need to keep an eye on that as well as your energy - life etc..

it's like Stalker meets F.E.A.R. meets Doom 3, so I think so far it's looking good, but haven't really been exposed to the storyline fully so I won't spoil it here..it follows the memoirs of the player and the characters you meet etc..

out of ten? well at the moment it's a 7.3 so far and could rise the more I play it.. also it's different from your take "that command post down" or "clearing out the neighbourhood" etc..it holds up in the graphic department, sound etc..but will the game-play?..only time will tell
↓↓Click Link to See More

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:42 am

Greyfox wrote:it's like Stalker meets F.E.A.R. meets Doom 3, so I think so far it's looking good, but haven't really been exposed to the storyline fully so I won't spoil it here..it follows the memoirs of the player and the characters you meet etc..

out of ten? well at the moment it's a 7.3 so far and could rise the more I play it..
I'm now grinning. Please keep me posted :D

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Okay I've had a proper go of this title...hmmm where do I start..okay

The Pros
really great graphics at pulling of the Post Apocalyptic future feel and very atmospheric
weapons in the game are hand made and show, reloading actions are fun with all the extra's that can be added to the weapon
Character models are top notch and very good voice acting
sound wise very good, but very little music through out so far
some high power weapons later on in the game do the business
and some really nice flashback illusion the player experiences at certain points.

The Cons
the aiming system is flawed and broken..when aiming at targets up in your sight, 5/10 lucky if you make an impact from a distant (NOT GOOD)
requiring more or less close up contact, enemies fire-power is as twice as strong as yours meaning your taking more damage then they do
Mutant Enemies are vicious even the low level ones
Reloading during a close encounter means you get hit and die more times than allowed, this is very bad..causing death or very bad injury to the player and takes as long to hit yourself with a first aid while been attacked also (p!ssed me right off that did)
too many controls that have no use while gun fights and serve no function while shooting things
also throwing pipe bombs are rubbish too..going no more than 3 ft in front of you, even when holding down the throw button..so no point in that
Storyline is vague also when with a companion if you decide to be looking else where, they walk off without while they talk, meaning your missing plot lines and in allot of occasions I've lost the person because I wanted to look over at this part or this section of a room..very bad..didn't allow for the player to explore areas while playing..

so overall the game has broken points the far out weigh the good points dropping the expectations of the game getting any better and I'm half way through it now. With flawed aiming system and very little varied enemies, I have to say I've played allot better (F.E.A.R. 2) - (STALKER) way out way do a better job that Metro 2033 has done, and my rating now has drop from a 7.3 to a 6.0 and recommend getting this one from the Bargain bin when it ends up there, worth £40 etc...hmmm NO , it would be more like £20-25 at best..

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I suggest F.E.A.R. 2 on the xbox360 if you haven already tried it..and by the time you finish F.E.A.R.2 , Metro 2033 should be in the bargain bin by then..

Grey.
↓↓Click Link to See More

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:17 pm

:(

I've played fear2 to bits.....wtf do I do now?

Thanks for the indepth look at the game tho! Means alot.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Another review for you Sepp salerno....

Games rader gave it 9/10. http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/metro ... 1616522092

They do say the shooting mechanics suck, but if you play it cautious then its not so apparent.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:46 pm

I'm currently reading the Novel (the game is based on a best selling novel in Russia/Europe) and it's really good stuff - I recommend it to anyone into their sci-fi post apocalyptic story's. It's actually really refreshing as well with all it's Russian-ness. I've also seen the game running in proper 3D and it's utterly amazing if you have the kit to do it. Nvidia are using it as a showcase for their graphics card and the entire game is rendered in 3d (ie every object can be seen and moved around in 3d) If you have the right stuff it's so good (only on PC and you even need 3d glasses that are powered to keep up with the refresh rate or something) - I then sat down and played it on 360 after seeing a presentation on the PC one in 3D and even though it was still awesome it seemed really flat. 3D - It's the future!

I really hope the game does well though as I've been seeing it for months and everytime it's got better and better.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Joey wrote:Another review for you Sepp salerno....

Games rader gave it 9/10. http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/metro ... 1616522092

They do say the shooting mechanics suck, but if you play it cautious then its not so apparent.
Joey, I've got to say that has made me feel much much better :D . I'm going to bite the Russian bullet on this one, and the fact that it seems to have really slipped under the radar with little to no hype, but when it does get picked up on it gets reviews that seem to be racking up 8's and 9's - Well that makes it all the more tempting. Also, as in the review you kindly linked says (and I've read from other places) it's not like a fps at all, and you have to play it as if it's an rpg/horror.

F**k it, I'm putting it at the top of my bday list, and if I hate it, then I'll just deal with it :lol:

PS I want to read the book