THE PSP retro love thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Re: THE PSP retro love thread

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:22 am

Sel Feena wrote: Is Origins any good? I was sorely disappointed with Homecoming.

I dont really have a frame of refence at it's my first Silent Hill - but I get a sense that it is average for the franchise.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:01 am

Just started Everybody's Tennis & while I'm not finding it as immediate as Everybody's Golf, it's still proving to be a lot of fun.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:18 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:
Sel Feena wrote: Is Origins any good? I was sorely disappointed with Homecoming.

I dont really have a frame of refence at it's my first Silent Hill - but I get a sense that it is average for the franchise.
I seem to be 1 of the very few people who took to it.It`ll 'mean' more to those who`ve completed the 1st Silent Hill as it`s a prequel and adds some depth to the characters etc.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Silent Hill:Origins biggest weakness is (as you might expect with a S.H game), the combat, wepons wear out and break, camera sometimes the biggest enemy.But it does have superb atmosphere (game best played with headphones) and some devious puzzles, if that`s yer bag.

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:09 pm

I'd say it's probably the best Silent Hill game I've ever played... don't get me wrong, I love the PS original, and Silent Hill 2 was awesome, but there's something about this that just captures that survival horror feeling better than all the other games. The later stages really freaked me out, more than once!

The PS3 Silent Hill was an expensive waste of time for me, the controls were all screwed up and in the end didn't hold my interest for long!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:46 pm

agreed: SH Origins does have a good atmosphere. But coming from a Resi background, it's a change of pace that takes some adjusting to

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:32 pm

Sounds good then! And for me, crappy combat is part of the charm of the series; your character is - with the exception of Homecoming - an average joe, so why would they have crazy combat skills?

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:04 am

Sel Feena wrote:Sounds good then! And for me, crappy combat is part of the charm of the series; your character is - with the exception of Homecoming - an average joe, so why would they have crazy combat skills?
Nail hit firmly on head.1 thing i really disliked with Silent Hill 3 was Heather packing automatic weaponary.Ok, i know Team Silent said it was needed as monsters were bigger, but sorry, nope, SH games all about Joe Average defending themselves in bat sh*t situation-I.e they grab whatever is at hand, be it plank of wood, metal pole etc.Seeing as it`s a US setting then expect pistols, Hunting weapons, but military hardware?No.See your character in upcoming game is a Prisoner, betting he`s inside for some violent crime-Excuse to beef up combat again, sadly.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm not about to start a new thread for these two questions, and the second one is on-topic:

Anyone tried the TV cable for PSP? Decent image or looks like ass?

Custom Firmware. I've heard that you can take your PS1 games and convert them into a format that certain CFW can use to emulate on your PSP. Does using CFW affect the ability to play official PSP games? I'd love to play Jumping Flash and Doom on PSP, but not at the expense of anything else!

the_b1ues

Post by the_b1ues » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:21 am

Got lots of emus running on my modded psp but i really need to get myself some prober games. But dont no what. I do prefer the easy playing games when it comes to psp things like Loco Roco, Luminies,Powerstone

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:34 am

I've been loving my PSP this week, what a fantastic little console. Been playing Gran Turismo PSP alongside Metal Gear Solid (PS classics), however I am struggling to unlock both Rondo and Symphony of the Night in Castlevania. Definately need more practice.

llj

Post by llj » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:08 pm

A lot of people like to censored the PSP for some reason but I dunno, I always browse the PSP section whenever I'm in a store. It looks like it has a lot of niche-y games that I would like. And it can be hooked up to a TV, which is a big plus for me whenever considering handhelds.

Probably would pick it up used though.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Cannot make up my mind if I'm enjoying Valkyria Chronicles II. Some sessions are great, the next you're smothered in cut scenes. Also, a few of the combat mechanics remain a bit clunky - I'm finding chucking grenades a little random etc.