THE PSP retro love thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: THE PSP retro love thread

Post by thevulture » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:13 pm

Graedient wrote:
thevulture wrote:Just found out GTA:China town will NOT run on my Firmware altered PSP, Bit of bugger, but intend to get a slim for Peace walker so no great loss.
As you've bought the UMD surely you are legally within your rights to play the patched ISO that DOES work with your firmware?
:? Not sure on legal side, but do`nt have the ISO file.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:25 am

*threadbump*

Right, after posting this thread - http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24969 - I've been doing a bit more digging around on here and on the internet in general. I'm considering buying a PSP now, but I'd want one that's already been customised to be able to run emulators on it, because I'm too lazy/scared to do it myself.

Three main questions:

1. Is anyone here selling one? (even better if you're going to R3play)
2. How much should I expect to pay for one?
3. Is there anything particularly I need to look out for? (batteries, chargers, model version etc)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:33 pm

2nd hand PSP`s in good condition seem to 'hold' good deal of value-Been after 2nd, non-modded one myself for games that won`t run on CFW. Prices for those who`s screen is good nick, still higher than i`d like.Phat`s are easiest to mod, but check screen quality 1st. Some are great (Lucky enough to own 1 myself), but motion blur an issue on many of them.Slim n lite model may well be your best option.Battery life? well, vastly improved when you instal games to memory card. Which ever model you buy, i`d humbly advise some form of screen cover-Use the hard, see through plastic 'crystal case' type myself.PSP screen? A thing of beauty, but soo easy to scratch.I`m not the best person to ask on this subject, but hopefully that`s been of some help?.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:41 pm

I have a Slim and LIte - and the screen is fine - but battery life is unimpressive. :?

Worth keeping saving for a PSP2 when it arrives presumably next year maybe? (Assuming it's backwards compatible - god I hope it is - not much you can do with a pile of 40 umds...)

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:31 am

Cheers for the info so far... Might wait until the PSP2 is released and then the PSPs will be cheaper :D

the_b1ues

Post by the_b1ues » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:15 am

i cant get snes9x to work on my psp it goes to the psp loading screen then my psp just turns off.Is there any other good snes emus?

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:28 pm

Whose's playing what on their PSP at the moment? I'm stuck on Silent Hill origins :oops: - might jack it in and unwrapped Valkyria Chronicles II.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:56 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Whose's playing what on their PSP at the moment? I'm stuck on Silent Hill origins :oops: - might jack it in and unwrapped Valkyria Chronicles II.
Where you stuck? Completed game, possible i can help. Myself?Very much enjoying :Sid Meir`s Pirates.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:18 am

thevulture wrote:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:Whose's playing what on their PSP at the moment? I'm stuck on Silent Hill origins :oops: - might jack it in and unwrapped Valkyria Chronicles II.
Where you stuck? Completed game, possible i can help. Myself?Very much enjoying :Sid Meir`s Pirates.
it's fairly early into the game - I'm embarrassed to say.... :oops: (my love for games far outshines my skill). I'll see if I can gamefaq my way a bit further, but I might give you a shout.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:20 am

Medal of Honour Heroes. Quite possibly the easiest game I've ever played (that's saying a lot as these days I'm generally crap at everything). But it's good fun, if you like running around WW2, like I do!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:07 am

Right, questions! I finally got wireless at my place.

- Am I being paranoid - there's no chance of my CFW being buggered with if I go online is there? I'm assuming I CAN still go online even though it is modded?

Also - does anyone actually play PSP online, or will I be the only one out there?? I'm currently playing Outrun and MOH: Heroes 1, so not new games.

Finally - I used to play MAME online with others, but I'm guessing it's a long shot that I'll be able to find other emulation-users in the PSP www?

cheers!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Pixiu

Post by Pixiu » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:37 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Whose's playing what on their PSP at the moment?
Currently hacking and slashing my way through Untold Legends. It's not super exciting but still manages to be a somewhat addictive dose of swords and sorcery escapism.
"A farmer doesn't bother telling a pig its breath smells like sh*t."

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:20 am

Got PSPUAE running at the moment on the PSP that The_Hawk has kindly loaned to me - lovely portable Amiga goodness :)

Performance varies from game to game - some are unusably slow, some aren't too bad, but there is pretty much a performance hit on all of the games.

Still fun though!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:53 am

Is Origins any good? I was sorely disappointed with Homecoming.

Currently plugging away at Idolm@ster, and trying to complete the Crazy Pyramid in Crazy Taxi 2.

I agree with other posters' sentiments; the PSP is quickly becoming my most-played games machine. It's a shame it took me so long to grab hold of one.

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:22 pm

I've recently come around to the awesome amount of games available for the PSP, however I don't actually own one. How much should I be paying for one and what particular model is best for homebrew?

I can't wait to play Peace Walker!