THE PSP retro love thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

THE PSP retro love thread

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:03 am

Thought I'd start this thread as I do a lot of my retro gaming on my trust PSP slim and lite - and thought others might do the same.

Whether it's one of the excellent retro compilations, psn PS1 games, PSP minis or new 'retro inspired' games, would be good to chat about them here and post any news about upcoming PSP retro related news.

Would also be a good place to discuss about importing retro compilations from Japan, as a lot of them - and I'm thinking of the hudson ones etc - that dont make it here to europe - but you cant get them on play asia etc for legal reasons.

So to start the ball rolling - is anyone looking forward to the 'Fat Princess' game?

stvd

Re: THE PSP retro love thread

Post by stvd » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:11 am

My PSP is the machine that gets most play-time.
However, I don't have any PSP games. I did have one of the Capcom Generations & Taito compilations but sold those ages ago.
My retro fix on PSP comes in the way of the great emulators available and, what I've been doing recently, converting my PS1 games
and playing them to death! :)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:15 am

Great thread!-Even before i had my PSP Firmware sorted (again HUGE thanks to Zetr0!) i`d picked up the 2 capcom Retro. cops. also the E.A replay collection, Tatio, Midway, Sega MD compiliations, Capcom puzzle world.Metal Slug anth., powerstone and Gradius collection.Sadly, these retro.compiliations seem to have all but dried up now.poor sales?.

jb1014

Post by jb1014 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:55 am

picodrive for megadrive games

I also have a spectrum and and a c64 emulator loaded up but not fantastic.

megadrive is, though, my emulation of choice for PSP. picodrive lets you save game states which is excellent.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:16 am

I'd echo a lot of what's been said already on this thread.

I love my psp, it's the machine that gets the most playtime and that was even before Zetr0 unlocked it.

The most recent game I've got for mine arrived yesterday "Half-Minute Hero" I've only managed to have a quick five minute play on it but I know I'm going to absolutely love it to pieces! An absolute steal at £13 from HMV I reckon & one that all retro RPG fans with a psp should support!

I've also got Chinatown Wars heading my way from Play for a fiver, these umds are getting cheaper & cheaper, if it was all download only I'd bet I'd have had to spend over fifty quid on those games rather than just over fifteen!

But I digress, the PSP has some amazing emulators on it & I love the fact that I've pretty much every game for the Atari 2600 and Atari Lynx on there for about 10mb, a load of Megadrive, Snes, Speccy, c64 & GBA stuff on there too, pretty much all of which is perfectly emulated.

Perfect for a quick blast at Robotron or Smash TV on your way into work.

Oh and Super Stardust Portable, if this was the only game available on the psp, it'd probably still be worth buying one!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:30 am

Chinatown Wars for a fiver - now that was a bargain!

It is a shame the compilations have now dried up - the SNK one was the last one I can remember - not sure if the new Data East one is making its way to PSP. But when you get up 30 games on a UMD often for under a tenner, things like virtual console look like a huge rip-off.

(Is Super Stardust Portable a download? Shame if it is as PSN store and my laptop dont seem to hit it off very well)

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:39 am

jb1014 wrote:I also have a spectrum and and a c64 emulator loaded up but not fantastic.
Really? Can't be certain what emus I've used but there good enough for me.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:46 am

Yeah SSP is a download.

I use Fuse & PSPVice for Speccy & c64 emulation respectively & they both run pretty much spot on!

OR type 99 to continue

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:56 am

This reminds me I have a retro ready :p PSP Slim to sell at Retro Rewind. Cracking systems for it though wouldn't have played half the amount o fPC Engine games I have without one.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:02 am

the_hawk wrote:I use Fuse & PSPVice for Speccy & c64 emulation respectively & they both run pretty much spot on!
Yep, that's the ones. For almost everything that uses a joystick, they're hard to fault.
And they have save states (well, Fuse does at least. Not sure about PSPVice).

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:14 am

quick show of hands: The PSP Go - a lemon or wave of the future for PSP?

I vote Lemon

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:16 am

OR type 99 to continue

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:28 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:quick show of hands: The PSP Go - a lemon or wave of the future for PSP?

I vote Lemon
MNNNNN....Smell that lemon Freshness!-Put it this way, IF the Go is the future? I`m canabilising every god damn machine i own, to build a time machine, dial gonna have the 1 setting.....THE PAST.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:16 am

Half Minute Hero, Echoshift and Pixejunk shooter all bode well for 2010 I think. (Not sure about MGS Peace Walker - not my favourite franchise - though worth a mention as it has retro pedigree).

Graedient

Post by Graedient » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:47 am

I do love my PSP (fat) for some retro (mostly Neo Geo until I sort myself out a proper console), but man that D-Pad shreds your thumb after a very short period.
Youtube | Trades & Sales | Twitter | Wanted: Super Pang (SNES) [Cart Only]