Another low for GAME

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Angry Jock

Re: Another low for GAME

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:41 pm

I got my Jaguar out of Beatties, think it had been sitting on the top shelf for at least 5 years gathering dust before I succumbed...plus it was very cheap :D

Wish there were games for it though :(
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:53 am

On a personal level I really miss Silica Shop.. the first one and the headquarters was in Sidcup in Kent where I lived and for most of my school days we just lived in that place every afternoon until closing time..

It all went tits up when it was taken over and they went mad and opened up loads of stores everywhere and it eventually fell flat on it's arse...

Shame...

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

MkII

Post by MkII » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:13 am

Not that I'm defending GAME or anything, but one time a found a Zone of the Enders 2 in mint condition for (about) £2. I asked if it was the correct prize because and the lady said it was so I bought it. It must have been someone doing a wrong entry in the system.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:24 am

I was in Game in Clydebank yesterday with my Nephew, he purchased the Live arcade game disk for £4.95 preowned, but they were still selling the original for £19.95 although i would think this was a pricing error seeing as the game has been out for ages.

Worse still, before we left, my Brother popped in to trade in two games, World at War and Modern Warfare 2, his disks would be like mine, mint condition.

£33 quid for both of them :shock: he was happy enough as he was bored playing them, but they are selling them pre owned for £42.99 with a new copy £45.

It's when you see bad pricing like this that you hope the likes of Tesco and Asda, when they start selling preowned do it properly.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:31 am

Bring back FC Computers of Lurgan. (my uncle owned it & i used to have a job "testing" the games - happy times)
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:35 am

sscott wrote:The same store I went to as a kid - CHiPS, is still there in Darlington so I don't need anything bringing back.
CHIPS are really good shops (especially if you want to order something from another store), their customer service and staff are friendly and informed, but their prices have crept up quite a bit recently......

Grainger Games are my current favourite....good prices, decent staff (Hartlepool and especially peterlee) and a very good choice of games.....

Blu rays are cheap as well.....

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:14 am

BennyTheGreek wrote:Grainger Games are my current favourite....good prices, decent staff (Hartlepool and especially peterlee) and a very good choice of games.....
I swear all of Gamestation Peterlee's decent staff buggered off to that Grainger store, because the GS store rapidly worsened as soon as it opened. <_<
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

Simon14

Post by Simon14 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:22 am

Both of the Game's In Reading are rubbish, they stock thing with diffferent prices all the time! Nothing is ever in the right place, but they are normally pretty good with questions and stuff, The Gamestation in reading is good, but its stoped doing Retro stuff now :( So i have to go to oxford if i want to look for GameCube games, and the like, although Sometimes i'll get in and someone would have just dropped a load of old stuff in so i can get it!

I tend to like the Indepent shops now, Game City is really good, loads of Ps2 and Xbox stuff and a Bit of PS1, Good for GBA And GB aswell! Although the games aren't priced very well :(

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:23 am

Romulous wrote:I was in Game in Clydebank yesterday with my Nephew, he purchased the Live arcade game disk for £4.95 preowned, but they were still selling the original for £19.95 although i would think this was a pricing error seeing as the game has been out for ages.
See since they gave that shopping centre a facelift bargains are thin on the ground. There used to be a curries where TK Maxx is that used to sell games for much cheapness - I got Sonic R and Wipeout 2097 on the Saturn for 97p each (and loads of other stuff I struggle to remember), also got the before mentioned Jaguar from the Beatties that used to be across from McDonalds.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:29 am

I dont get all the moaning about the pre owned/trades at GAME....ignoring the fact you shouldn't even be there unless you are buying for your grandkids...

"Their pre-owned are only 3 quid less than new" - So buy a new one or go elsewhere...

"They only offered me 50p for my game and sell it for 40 quid" - So say no to their offer and go elsewhere. Or keep it. Or ebay it. Or sell it here.

every couple of days there is a thread like this, we dont live in a communist state they dont force you to go there.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:30 am

The Angry Jock wrote:
Romulous wrote:I was in Game in Clydebank yesterday with my Nephew, he purchased the Live arcade game disk for £4.95 preowned, but they were still selling the original for £19.95 although i would think this was a pricing error seeing as the game has been out for ages.
See since they gave that shopping centre a facelift bargains are thin on the ground. There used to be a curries where TK Maxx is that used to sell games for much cheapness - I got Sonic R and Wipeout 2097 on the Saturn for 97p each (and loads of other stuff I struggle to remember), also got the before mentioned Jaguar from the Beatties that used to be across from McDonalds.
Blockbuster video was supposed to be good price wise, but i checked it out and they have very little to offer.

Gamestation on the other hand has quite a lot of titles for about 5 - 7 quid, not bad in my books.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:34 am

Romulous wrote:Blockbuster video was supposed to be good price wise, but i checked it out and they have very little to offer.
Blockbuster video can be good but it's more based on timing, I got Pokemon Platinum (DS) from there in January for £15, cheapest I've seen anywhere. They were doing 4 games for £10 but they only had 1 acceptable game whilst the rest were PES/FIFA :(
Retropassion reborn

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:51 am

It's funny because I could make the same remark myself with the French Game shops... Usually, there's a €5 difference between new games and 2nd hand (that's about £3)... And often, when they lower the price on new games, they totally forget to do the same for 2nd hand games. Maybe they think that some people go straight to the 2nd hand games and never look at the new game shelves?...
And it's the same with the leading chain in France (it's called "Micromania"). I've asked once or twice if they could correct the price on a 2nd hand game that was more expensive than the new one and the first time, I was told there was nothing wrong with the prices! :shock:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:00 am

merman wrote:
Nemesis wrote:Popped into GAME this lunchtime & was perusing the Wii section when I noticed a new copy of Tatsunoko vs Capcom going for £29.99. Nothing unusual there perhaps, but then I looked at the 2nd hand section & found the same title for £27.99, yes a whole £2 off. Fortunately, I bought this title online for a cheaper price than the second hand copy but what a rip off! I sincerely hope they go bust for conning the ignorant. Perhaps games should have the label "Cavaet emptor" = Let the buyer beware.

How are they conning the ignorant? You pays your money and takes your choice.
That's true but if you don't know any better (or the games market in general) then you could end up paying over the odds for a game you could get cheaper elsewhere. Not everybody has an Ebay account or access to the internet even in this modern age.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:08 am

I have to agree with quite a bit of this.

Having said that, I did manage to get an OK offer from the Saucchihall street Gamestation back around christmas. Banjo Tooie, boxed, for bang on in the middle of the average online price-range. haven't seen much else worth buying up in Glasgow for a while apart from that though.

The worst one would've been from the old HMV/Zavvi away down the corner by the Donald Dewar statue nearby. Picked up the Fast & Furious trilogy for something like £45, and on the way to the door, I saw the exact same boxset for a tenner. Needless to say, I went straight to Customer services. Instead of a refund, they gave me a gift card with the difference in value.
Where logic won't work, I will