Another low for GAME

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Joey

Re: Another low for GAME

Post by Joey » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Does anyone remeber Beatties?

We had one in Leicester must be 15 years ago now. Half the shop was computer games the other half models and hobbies.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:22 pm

Bring back Forbidden Planet!
Thoughts and prayers.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:26 pm

rossi46 wrote:Bring back Forbidden Planet!
Bring back? Why, where did it go, we still have ours :|

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:37 pm

rossi46 wrote:Bring back Forbidden Planet!
How can you bring back what is still there?

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:49 pm

Roo wrote:I spotted MADWORLD in GAME Sauchiehall St. over the Christmas holidays:

'Sale! Was £9.99, Now £12.99!'
That store is particularly atrocious, I've only ever bought 1 game out of it and that was when me and a guy from work bought 2 crackdowns in a 2 for £10 offer :lol:

The GS down the road was slightly better but recently pickings have been extremely slim.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

merman

Post by merman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:51 pm

Nemesis wrote:Popped into GAME this lunchtime & was perusing the Wii section when I noticed a new copy of Tatsunoko vs Capcom going for £29.99. Nothing unusual there perhaps, but then I looked at the 2nd hand section & found the same title for £27.99, yes a whole £2 off. Fortunately, I bought this title online for a cheaper price than the second hand copy but what a rip off! I sincerely hope they go bust for conning the ignorant. Perhaps games should have the label "Cavaet emptor" = Let the buyer beware.

How are they conning the ignorant? You pays your money and takes your choice.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:03 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Bring back Software Plus :D
What do we want?
SOFTWARE PLUS!!!!!!
When do we want it?
NOW, So we can tell GAME where to go!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:14 pm

Joey wrote:Does anyone remeber Beatties?

We had one in Leicester must be 15 years ago now. Half the shop was computer games the other half models and hobbies.
That's where my Dad got my first PlayStation as a kid. Had an N64 on display too. :mrgreen:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:16 pm

speedlolita wrote:

That's where my Dad got my first PlayStation as a kid. Had an N64 on display too. :mrgreen:
Our nearest ones were Lakeside Shopping Centre and Celmsford 'The Meadows' Shopping Centre. The Chelmsford one was where my brother got his PS1 from. £150, with one pad and about 6 games. Bargain.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:27 pm

The same store I went to as a kid - CHiPS, is still there in Darlington so I don't need anything bringing back.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:
Talking of GAME anyway, I was in their concession store in Dundrum's Hamley's here in Dublin today. A nice little outlet it has to be said, as they are normally well stocked, and the manger is very good in there - she always makes sure that stuff is priced up correctly and well merchandised - much better than the main GAME inside in the main shopping centre. Anyway, I was in there this afternoon, and their had been a significant thinning out of the stock.

What relevance does that have, one little concession in Dublin? Well, a whole raft of GAME concessions closed recently in the UK, as well as several regular branches of GAME and GameStation. Clearly the company is suffering financially at the moment, and the fact that there closures may not be over just yet from what I can see, means that buying games on the high street might be a little more difficult in the future, and perhaps may lead to less choice in the market place and less competition.
I've been to those two Game outlets in Dundrum... I did like the small one.. staff were always nice and as you say the prices were good (even better when sterling was strong against the Euro!).

I got the special edition silver box Halo 2 on Xbox in a small games store in Greystones for about 25 euro.. at the time that was about £12!

Also got PES6 on PS2 on launch day in Xtravision (or was it Golden Discs?) in Dun Laoghaire for 30 euro.. £15 for a brand new game... brilliant.

Not the same now though.. :(

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Used to go to the one in New Oxford Street in London (near Holborn tube).. it was enormous and as you say had stacks of model/hobby stuff and video games coming out of their ears.. great store...

What about Electronics Boutique... didn't Game take them over?
B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:00 pm

Beatties was amazing - got all my Earthworm Jim toys there. The one in Liverpool, well, where it used to be, is now a model and hobby shop, so it's like only half the shop went missing...

There was another chain as well, Playhouse. Think it was a chain anyway. There was one in Crosby and one in Southport, does that count as a chain? Horrible trade-in prices (four Dreamcast games in 2002 got you either £6 cash or any Dreamcast game priced £9.99 or lower), but it was a games shop that had a bit of everything. Good enough?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:23 pm

Bring back Electronic Boutique!!! :D
Hell yes
What about Electronics Boutique... didn't Game take them over?
It was the other way round EB took over Game then changed all the stores to Game as they felt it had a stronger brand. Thats when It all started to go down hill
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:35 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Beatties was amazing - got all my Earthworm Jim toys there. The one in Liverpool, well, where it used to be, is now a model and hobby shop, so it's like only half the shop went missing...
Yeah, it was the good half of the shop though. :(

Back when it was Beatties (can't think for the life of me what it's called now, even though I pretty much go past it whenever I'm in town) I got a load of good stuff from there, quite cheap too....Plok on the SNES, Monster Max on the GB, Alundra and Pocket Fighters on the PSOne to name but a few. They often used to put the new releases on the shelf a couple of days early too...if it was due out on a Friday, you could often pick it up from Beatties on the Wednesday beforehand :lol: I don't think the people who worked there either knew or cared about official release dates. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!