Another low for GAME

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Nemesis

Another low for GAME

Post by Nemesis » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:08 pm

Popped into GAME this lunchtime & was perusing the Wii section when I noticed a new copy of Tatsunoko vs Capcom going for £29.99. Nothing unusual there perhaps, but then I looked at the 2nd hand section & found the same title for £27.99, yes a whole £2 off. Fortunately, I bought this title online for a cheaper price than the second hand copy but what a rip off! I sincerely hope they go bust for conning the ignorant. Perhaps games should have the label "Cavaet emptor" = Let the buyer beware.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

stvd

Re: Another low for GAME

Post by stvd » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:31 pm

That's nothing new. I've seen GAME selling 2nd hand titles for MORE than their new equivalent! :?

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:36 pm

Know what you're saying. I bought Guitar Hero World Tour for 360 out of there for £40 a year and a half ago. I then went back in there the next day, and they had another copy in there for £25 :lol:
Impressed? No. P!ssed off? You betcha.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:04 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:Know what you're saying. I bought Guitar Hero World Tour for 360 out of there for £40 a year and a half ago. I then went back in there the next day, and they had another copy in there for £25 :lol:
Impressed? No. P!ssed off? You betcha.
Hope you got a refund?

I've mentioned this before, but the best one I ever saw a few years back was Game in Banbury selling Ty The Tasmanian Tiger 2 on Xbox....at a 'sale' price....for '£19.98.

The RRP of the game was £19.99 (it actually said so on the box). That was a whole 1p saving! :shock: The guy behind the counter blatently lied to me when I asked him about it too, saying that it had only been marked up at £19.99 in the first place because they'd run out of '£24.99' stickers!! :shock:
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:12 pm

generally I find their prices almost random. That's why I buy online now.

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:17 pm

I spotted MADWORLD in GAME Sauchiehall St. over the Christmas holidays:

'Sale! Was £9.99, Now £12.99!'

Nicely done GAME! *thumb up*

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:18 pm

stvd wrote:That's nothing new. I've seen GAME selling 2nd hand titles for MORE than their new equivalent! :?
Yup, seen that plenty of times.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Roo wrote:I spotted MADWORLD in GAME Sauchiehall St. over the Christmas holidays:

'Sale! Was £9.99, Now £12.99!'

Nicely done GAME! *thumb up*
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, that's the best I've seen so far. Just unbelievable. I suppose they would've blamed inflation and said that this years '£12.99' is the equivalent of last years '£4.99'. Or something like that. :lol:
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:29 pm

stvd wrote:That's nothing new. I've seen GAME selling 2nd hand titles for MORE than their new equivalent! :?
Yes, this is often a common occurance, particularly when a given game goes into "sale" - the pre-owned titled does not have its price reduced because its a different SKU - GAME really shouldn't allow for this to happen, it looks retarded from a customer's point of view.

Talking of GAME anyway, I was in their concession store in Dundrum's Hamley's here in Dublin today. A nice little outlet it has to be said, as they are normally well stocked, and the manger is very good in there - she always makes sure that stuff is priced up correctly and well merchandised - much better than the main GAME inside in the main shopping centre. Anyway, I was in there this afternoon, and their had been a significant thinning out of the stock. They pretty much only had enough stock to cover the shelves, with no overflow of stock, or very little at any rate, on the lower shelves. In my view, it looked like the shop had lost between half, and two thirds of its stock. This would indicate to me that the games just aren't selling over there, and that these titles have been transfered out to other, more busier outlets. It could also mean that they are gearing up for a close of business over there.

What relevance does that have, one little concession in Dublin? Well, a whole raft of GAME concessions closed recently in the UK, as well as several regular branches of GAME and GameStation. Clearly the company is suffering financially at the moment, and the fact that there closures may not be over just yet from what I can see, means that buying games on the high street might be a little more difficult in the future, and perhaps may lead to less choice in the market place and less competition.
Nintendo DS games: 41

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:54 pm

Ah, Game! Gamestation are no better! I went into one of their stores once, and Tiger Woods 09 was 19.99 new. I looked around, and found it for 24.99 2nd hand! I asked the numpty behind the counter for a discount on the 2nd hand version, and was promptly rebuffed with the line "I dont make the prices mate!"

Zapper

Post by Zapper » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Sometimes it's just plain unpredictable. I bought Taito Legends 2 on release day for EUR24.99 and a few months later saw it in the pre-owned section for EUR54.99. It's still there but now it sells for less than a fiver.
An Irish Nintendo fan's blog
http://irishnintendofan.blogspot.com

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Another low? You say this like they usually give good deals :lol:
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:10 pm

Bring back Electronic Boutique!!! :D

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:14 pm

Bring back Software Plus :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:16 pm

Wasnt there also one called Computer Zone??