Unresolved Game Endings

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: Unresolved Game Endings

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:31 pm

thevulture wrote:For Halo 2-you`d done well to ignore both the Fake E3 demo and also the marketing/advertising campain.All this Fight for earth starts here etcetc sh*te.Got a few poxy levels in and that was that. Also:Any vietnam game........So the USA won this one? LOL. And MGS 2 just WTF was that all about?
That p*ssed me right off that did. Hurtling back to Earth, ready to kick some more ass then the game just ends. Worst bloody ending ever.

Also don't understand any of the Flood or that big plant thing in Halo 2. Is it the leader/creator of the Flood or something?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Megamixer wrote:That p*ssed me right off that did. Hurtling back to Earth, ready to kick some more ass then the game just ends. Worst bloody ending ever.
and for that reason alone, plus the worst end-of-game boss fight ever, I never played Halo 3.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:45 pm

SpiffierRabbit wrote:
Megamixer wrote:That p*ssed me right off that did. Hurtling back to Earth, ready to kick some more ass then the game just ends. Worst bloody ending ever.
and for that reason alone, plus the worst end-of-game boss fight ever, I never played Halo 3.
Never understood why that git didn't die when I constantly pounded him with bullets yet I could just stand back and let the CPU allies kill him single-handedly.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:51 pm

I've just played through Halo 2 & 3 over the last week. I'm not getting the hate. Halo 2 ended just after it had got a bit dull. Perfect place to finish it. At least it had a story of sorts, which was more than the first did.

Halo 3 wrapped that up. It doesn't necessarily explain everything (or make sense - I've still no idea what the tentacle beast is or was), but it doesn't need to.

Leave gaps, leave things unexplained. It makes room for expanded universe stuff, a little imagination from players, all sorts of stuff.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:57 pm

That tentacley chap from Halo2 & 3 was Gravemind, kind of a 'Superflood' that controlled all other Flood. Think of the Borg Queen in Star Trek.

...And I also didn't like Halo 2's ending - what a freaking cliffhanger to leave the player on. But on the other hand, job done; I was left wanting more!
Last edited by Sel Feena on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:59 pm

See, with most games, the novels are optional. I mean they're always optional but you don't need to read the Street Fighter II comics to understand the stories of the characters. When it's like Halo though where missing a novel series makes the plot incomprehensible, it's damn annoying and just stupid.

Halo 2 for me felt like an anti-climax. I expected at least one final epic level on Earth or something but...nothing. If I'd hadn't had just paid £4 for the game then I'd have felt cheated really.

Great games gameplay-wise though, not disputing that.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:08 pm

Disney aliens prevented me from taking Halo seriously the instant the invasion started in the first game. After that, anything goes. Why they had those ridiculous creatures I'll never know, when every other part of the design worked. They didn't learn from it either, those little gits are right through all 3 games. I rather liked the Flood as it saved me from having to see them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:13 pm

Those little squeaky grunts? Yeah, always seemed out of place to me too, especially alongside hulking, deadly brutes.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:25 pm

NOT defending any of Halo back story, but...whole idea of covenant is that Elites and phrophets i think, 1st 2 species to discover fore runner technology, after inital war fought (over ideals of what said tech. should be used for), they decide to form an alliance and take other, conquered races on board on this great journey crap. Grunts? just mere cannon fodder-used to soften up a position, expendable etc-Get shitty end of stick basically. As for Gravemind? flood worked far better as intelligent parasitic life form.Why they and the Stroggs? from quake need a bloody control mind escapes me.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:13 pm

Another infamous example is shining force on saturn.It was part of trilogy but due to saturn's death in europe the second and third chapter was never translated so the ending was left in limbo for pal gamers..
Last edited by Fred83 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:17 pm

There are a few examples. One that comes to my mind is Drakan: Order of the Flame on the PC. Awesome game with great graphincs and... you were a pin-up riding a dragon on a quest to save your little brother from the clutches of an evil character! Yikes! What's not to like?
Unfortunately it ended with a great question mark: what will happen in episode 2?
Or better, will there ever be an episode 2?
My PC is still waiting...

Oh, I was disappointed by the fact that in Barbarian 2 a decapitated Drax simply grabs his head from the floor and runs through a mirror instead of dying of blood loss.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:38 pm

Can anybody please explain to me what the ending of Eternal Sonata was all about?

Great game (One of the best RPGs I've played through in ages)...up until that point. But I was left totally confused after that. :?
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:17 am

I actually LIKE the backstory of Halo. I think it's very interesting and well done, in Science Fiction terms. However it is a story that's not even remotely well explained within the confines of its original media: the games themselves. You need to get heavily invested in that story (through various media such as comics, novels, webpage Wiki's, etc.) for it to start making any sense.

Reading the Halo Wiki's does a great job of explaining Gravemind and the Flood; something all 3 games struggled with explaining coherently.

But yes, if taken from the games alone the Halo backstory is a mishmash pile of nonsense, seemingly penned by some drunk Dev late at night after watching old Star Trek reruns. :?

Another thing: TEKKEN!
What the flying censored are all those endings about!?!?! None of them make any sense! None of them even remotely tie into any other endings, neither do any of them appear to arc through the various sequels in any meaningful way. censored that stupid Jin/Kazuya/Heihatchi bollocks! It's all a pile of utter NONSENSE! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:23 am

2 Gears of wars games so far and i`m left with more questions than answers regarding origins of the locusts and what exactly marcus`s old man was upto in the lab. Hopefully 3rd game will resolve few plot threads.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Freestyler wrote:Another thing: TEKKEN!
What the flying censored are all those endings about!?!?! None of them make any sense! None of them even remotely tie into any other endings, neither do any of them appear to arc through the various sequels in any meaningful way. censored that stupid Jin/Kazuya/Heihatchi bollocks! It's all a pile of utter NONSENSE! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Easy way to sort that out. Usually, you'll find that the ending for the game's 'main' character is the real ending. Everything else is usually canon too unless it contradicts with the main ending.

Tekken 2 for example is about Heihachi and his return after Kazuya threw him into ravine. Therefore, it's his ending which is the real one. Jin is the main protaganist of Tekken 3 so his ending is canon for that game and so on.