Unresolved Game Endings

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rayne

Re: Unresolved Game Endings

Post by Rayne » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:33 am

The one that always sticks in my mind is the ending to Halo 2.

'Sir...I'm finishing this fight'

The credits rolled and I was sat there waiting for the next level to load...should have seen the look on my face :evil:

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Rayne wrote:The one that always sticks in my mind is the ending to Halo 2.

The credits rolled and I was sat there waiting for the next level to load...should have seen the look on my face :evil:
And the BEST part about it?
Having to not only fork out for the next game in the series, but having to buy a whole new console to get to do so. :roll:

(Oh and Halo 3 ending is a censored joke in itself. Bollocks to ODST)
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Freestyler wrote:

Having to not only fork out for the next game in the series, but having to buy a whole new console to get to do so. :roll:

I remember on Very Hard Master Chief and Cortana didn't die but crashed landed on that planet.. And then you had to buy 3 - 4 paperback books just to find out the back-story of the Spartons
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:00 pm

The first Assassin's Creed is a bit disappointing......

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:22 pm

two spring to mind

Splatterhouse Arcade - Rick walks away from the house without Jennifer and the house is on fire.. Cuts to the Mask laughing

Clock Tower 2

A Masked guy who looks like Yoshimitsu who can't die, but appears to die from 1 handgun bullet
Shannon that white skinned woman injects herself with the virus and then nothing
The main character would get a purple aura and talk in a mans voice and become more aggressive no explanation to that either
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:54 pm

The First Halo has a censored beginning as well...it just starts in the middle of a war. You don't know who's fighting who and why. Just kill everyone who doesn't look like you, that should do the trick. And Halo 3, yeah, I've completed it on Legendary 3 times now, and I still don't understand wtf is going on. Why did the Gravemind switch allegiances? Why is there some uber weapon/teleport thing under Africa? Who were these original forerunners spoken about in the Terminal logs?
thevulture wrote:Dead Space-Isaac`s missus then....Ending suggested she had become a necromorph, 1st letter of title of each level spelt out N.I.C.O.L.E.I.S.D.E.A.D. Myself just left thinking wtf?
They were taking the censored with the level title thing. I mean, if you had sussed it out, and were given the option to do something about it, yeah, you could have had a different ending, and possibly got a bit more mileage out of the game. But no. You're forced to follow her instructions in the full knowledge that she is dead(ish), and that she is leading you to a similar fate; the level title's might as well have spelt "N.I.C.O.L.E.I.S.D.E.A.D.S.H.E.W.I.L.L.K.I.L.L.Y.O.U.T.O.O.S.O.R.R.Y.T.H.E.R.E.S.N.O.T.H.I.N.G.Y.O.U.C.A.N.D.O.A.B.O.U.T.I.T.L.O.L.

The game would have been a bit longer, though.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:47 pm

Definitely agree with Black - very surprised that a sequel hasn't happened yet though if it's anything like the original, it'll come late and look better than anything previous.

Also, any games where the sequels are in no chronological order. The ending of Valkyrie Profile 2 on PS2 for example is hard enough to understand on it's own but when you consider it's actually the first in terms of series events, a headache begins to form...

Finally, games with multiple endings where it's never clear which the real one is. Combine that with my above point (Valkyrie Profile again) and it's a massive nightmare.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:10 pm

Megamixer wrote:Definitely agree with Black - very surprised that a sequel hasn't happened yet though if it's anything like the original, it'll come late and look better than anything previous.

Also, any games where the sequels are in no chronological order. The ending of Valkyrie Profile 2 on PS2 for example is hard enough to understand on it's own but when you consider it's actually the first in terms of series events, a headache begins to form...
Zelda series then???

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:11 pm

One that annyoed me very much. Viewtiful Joe 2, you can't pull the same "there are more bad guys to fight" trick over and over.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:13 pm

SpiffierRabbit wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Definitely agree with Black - very surprised that a sequel hasn't happened yet though if it's anything like the original, it'll come late and look better than anything previous.

Zelda series then???
...and Metroid. At least Metroid IS possible to put in order but why oh why do they jump about all over the place? From interviews, it seems even Nintendo themselves don't know the Zelda timeline.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Freestyler wrote:

I remember on Very Hard Master Chief and Cortana didn't die but crashed landed on that planet.. And then you had to buy 3 - 4 paperback books just to find out the back-story of the Spartons
I remember seeing the Halo 3 ads, buying a 360 and then finding out Halo 3 wasn't due for a year!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I really enjoyed all of the Halo novels though :D they were great fun

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Issac`s missus being dead and all? Supposed to be 'explained' in forthcoming Dead Space 2. Are maybe not. All developers WILL say is: 'you`ll have to wait and see'. Resistance 2? US special forces group that rescued you at end of 1st game (SRPA) recruited individuals from around the world with the chimera DNA floating in `em.Group was calledthe sentinels. All your characters immunity to Alien DNA did was slow down the infection, not cure it, plus gave you funky healing powers and physic link to chimera Angels. All part of experimental US programme: Project Abraham.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Halo? Played all the games, read the novels, Graphic Novel and just watched animated DVD series and still puzzled by a lot of the forerunner and Flood stuff, Gravemind espically. Also, Killzone 2-So, Helghast have this vast fleet that arrives at end of the game, WHY did`nt they commit it to planets defence in 1st place?????.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:19 pm

Rayne wrote:I remember seeing the Halo 3 ads, buying a 360 and then finding out Halo 3 wasn't due for a year!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you need to read some novels to understand what happens between the first two Halo's? I was certainly thrown by the fairly straight-forward first game suddenly becoming a plot-heavy sequel with all the added Covenant lore and in-house warring.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:28 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Rayne wrote:I remember seeing the Halo 3 ads, buying a 360 and then finding out Halo 3 wasn't due for a year!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you need to read some novels to understand what happens between the first two Halo's? I was certainly thrown by the fairly straight-forward first game suddenly becoming a plot-heavy sequel with all the added Covenant lore and in-house warring.
For Halo 2-you`d done well to ignore both the Fake E3 demo and also the marketing/advertising campain.All this Fight for earth starts here etcetc sh*te.Got a few poxy levels in and that was that. Also:Any vietnam game........So the USA won this one? LOL. And MGS 2 just WTF was that all about?