Classic games that were not so great!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:35 am

Sonic had great graphics and speed for its time, and still do, but completely lacked gameplay. And it completely stole the light for other platform games that actually had good gameplay. You control a blue hedgehog, now run run RUN through the levels, reach the end as fast as possible! Wow, deep.

And I recently discovered another great platformer. Yo! Joe!. This is a forgotten gem, imo.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:52 am

StarEye wrote:Sonic had great graphics and speed for its time, and still do, but completely lacked gameplay.
Sod Off!!!!!!

:wink:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:16 pm

At the time,we'd never seen a platformer with the speed of Sonic,so it was a novelty

Having said that,I'm not sure I'd class it as a platformer - certainly not in the traditional sense
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Danny

Re:

Post by Danny » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:33 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
merman wrote:What the @*!= are you talking about? Qbert is a CLASSIC.
Agreed-having said that I could never stand PACMAN,although I don't dispute it was a ground-breaking game
Hardly "ground breaking" since there were other games that followed the same premise of "go in maze and collect dots" formula but were released before the "yellow one's" debut. Sega's classic arcade game Head On did it first, (one year before it in fact) Pac-Man was just more famous for it due to better marketing.

Ritchardo mkII

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:42 pm

Driller - looked lovely, slow as a week in *insert local prison name here*

Hunchback - censored (... well it is)
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:55 pm

SirClive wrote:
StarEye wrote:Sonic had great graphics and speed for its time, and still do, but completely lacked gameplay.
Sod Off!!!!!!

:wink:
agreed.

Although i never got on with sonic and knuckles and sonic 3, sonic 1, 2 and CD are classics. Sonic was the videogame icon of my early childhood so its only natural that i shall defend him to the death (16 bit era = great days). The sonic's may have got owned by the mario's on the snes but they are classic games in their own right, pure SEGA, pure arcade style gameplay, it will never get old.

I'll put down killer instinct, there was so much hype about it in its time but play it today and it reveals tself as the load of shi!e that it always has been. I would put primal rage down but many would say that the game was always recognised as sh!te, also i still find myself playing the game and strangely enjoying it even though i myself know its sh!te
Last edited by muse hunter on Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:56 pm

Ritchardo mkII wrote:Hunchback - censored (... well it is)
So wrong, so very, very wrong.

I loved that game. Played it for hours and hours, weeks and weeks until I'd memorised all the patterns and timings and could rescue esmerelda at least 3 times in a row. Oric version played the best, though its not necessarily the prettiest.
muse hunter wrote:Sonic was the videogame icon of my early childhood
We did suspect you were a late starter... ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JMK853

Sonic defence

Post by JMK853 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:01 pm

Sonic was a great game, and still is.
You have to remember what it had / has going for it

Secret levels
Parallax scrolling
Kicking soundtrack
Mini games
Fantastic animation
Great 16 bit graphics

And of course….. Great playability

I always thought Marioland was a bit dull in comparison.
The past is the future

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:41 am

StarEye wrote: You control a blue hedgehog, now run run RUN through the levels, reach the end as fast as possible! Wow, deep.
But the best games are the most basic ones ?

Eg Commando, just go up all the time shooting everyone, Chuckie Egg, collect all the eggs, game over, Manic Miner, collect all the keys go to exit etc

On Sonic i didnt bother completing the levels asap, used to like trying to find the hidden rooms etc and other bits. Same with Mario Land.

JMK853

oh yeah

Post by JMK853 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:38 pm

Well if thats the way things go, why bother to collect the coins in super marioland.

It does not have to be deep, just fun.
The past is the future

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:41 pm

I thought Final Fight on the SNES was very much the game with a lot of criticism. Due to time constraints, so many features had went missing:

-Two player options
-Stage 4: Industrial Area (plus Rolento as the boss)
Last edited by thl on Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:50 pm

JMK853 wrote:I always thought Marioland was a bit dull in comparison.
About Super Mario Land. I remembered completing that game so many times that you're likely to run into such repetition. It's because due to the dated graphic that was programmed on the original Gameboy.
Last edited by thl on Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:24 pm

What is the fascination with the Streetfighter games? Boring. And what about Elite? Jesus, that was the most over rated game in history. Gorf never deserved it's reputation as a great and Impossible Mission was never as good as the magazines made out.

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:08 am

My initial reaction to Street Fighter was overly negative as well. I can appreciate fighting games a lot more now but at the end of the day you're still just working with 2 players or more beating the crap out of one another in a particular setting. Putting variety into that really strains the imagination! It's a thing that works though, despite it's limitations. And yes they are overrated.

I don't like 3D styled beat em up games. None of them are any fun to me. Not even Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive and especially not Tekken.

I don't like Chuck Rock. I find him very annoying.

JMK853

never got it

Post by JMK853 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:20 pm

I spent ages getting the crap kicked out of me,in streetfighter by my mate in 2 player mode. and I still never got it.

I knew it was a classic, but I just didnt like it.

Set the noose high lads........
The past is the future