Classic games that were not so great!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

preownedgames.co.uk

Re:

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:20 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I can't be bothered to argue in Tetris' favour. You are all clearly deluded.

In 3 week's time, my annual holiday Tetris compo with my wife starts again. Some day I'll win :oops:
I love tetris. I couldn't get my head around the 2 player version on the ds where your blocks are falling and the CPU's blocks are rising and there's nothign in the middle. That was just odd.
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:55 pm

Another 'classic' I hate? GTA: San Andreas... okay not retro I know, but I really really hated that one. Vice City ALL THE WAY!!!!!

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:57 pm

Robbo wrote:Another 'classic' I hate? GTA: San Andreas... okay not retro I know, but I really really hated that one. Vice City ALL THE WAY!!!!!
In fact none of them compare to the original GTA
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Robbo

Re:

Post by Robbo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:00 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Robbo wrote:Another 'classic' I hate? GTA: San Andreas... okay not retro I know, but I really really hated that one. Vice City ALL THE WAY!!!!!
The originals were good fun, but GTA 3 and especially VC brought it to the top IMHO. SA's story was soooooo boring, and all that "yo wassup y'all" and "my bad" crap does my head in at the best of times. The SA soundtrack wussed out as well. VC's was pure MAGIC! 8)

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:18 pm

Robbo wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
The originals were good fun, but GTA 3 and especially VC brought it to the top IMHO. SA's story was soooooo boring, and all that "yo wassup y'all" and "my bad" crap does my head in at the best of times. The SA soundtrack wussed out as well. VC's was pure MAGIC! 8)
SA was a better game, IMHO, but I didn't play it all the way to the end - unlike VC. VC had a much, much better soundtrack than SA. Three rap stations and a poor selection of Alternative and Indie tunes? What was that about?
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

JMK853

another

Post by JMK853 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:45 pm

Another one I always hated (they are building the gallows for me now) is BARBARIAN.

Ground breaking..... naw!

Entertaining........35 secs

Crap....................100%

special move...............bash,bash, bash + prey.

But yet for some reason, it is hailed as a classic!

It was not the first of its type, nor was it special in sound or graphics.

I bought it and nearly cried when | realized that 2 weeks pocket money had gone into this crap!.
The past is the future

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:50 am

revgiblet wrote:
Robbo wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote: In fact none of them compare to the original GTA
SA was a better game, IMHO, but I didn't play it all the way to the end - unlike VC. VC had a much, much better soundtrack than SA. Three rap stations and a poor selection of Alternative and Indie tunes? What was
that about?

Agree with almost every word of that. Except I rather seemed to enjoy the country radio station in SA. Especially whilst riding down the country roads on a sit on lawnmower. :D
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:06 am

Some games like Jet Set Willy (whether it had an ending or not) or Knight Lore i was never going to complete, if anything i just used to go round finding 'new rooms'. Still think both were classics

The 'classic' which i think is totally overrated are the beat em up games like Mortal Kombat or Streetfighter. I've never personally got into these games much, theyre good for a short time but all you are doing is pressing all the buttons as quickly as possible.

Obviously people do try and use the special moves, key combinations but the vast majority of people just used to bash every button they could. Thought these games were very dull though

Robbo

Re:

Post by Robbo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:23 am

revgiblet wrote:
Robbo wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote: In fact none of them compare to the original GTA
SA was a better game, IMHO, but I didn't play it all the way to the end - unlike VC. VC had a much, much better soundtrack than SA. Three rap stations and a poor selection of Alternative and Indie tunes? What was that about?
There's no doubt the game engine had been refined from previous attempts (although certain areas were a step back, like the driving for example), and there was certainly much more exploring to do (one of the best things about these games) but the story stunk (I can't stand all that 'Boyz N The Hood' type bollox) and the soundtrack was naff. Now 'imagine' a second 'Vice City' game, with the huge playing area of SA, and refined game engine (but keeping the driving the same as VC) and another awesome 80's soundtrack... maybe set in 1989? HEAVEN!!!

Sorry I really didn't like SA after VC was such a GREAT game.

PS. When referring to controls, I am referring to the PC version... I have the PS2 version (it was cheap), but I never got round to playing that one.

broton

Re:

Post by broton » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:38 am

devilman wrote:
revgiblet wrote:
devilman wrote:Wasn't JSW written by just one bloke though?
Yes. And?
Well plenty of old games were written by one or two people and had bugs in.
I defy you to point at any game and tell me it has no bugs.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:18 am

broton wrote:
devilman wrote:
revgiblet wrote: Yes. And?
Well plenty of old games were written by one or two people and had bugs in.
I defy you to point at any game and tell me it has no bugs.
There are bug, and there are bugs that MAKE A GAME IMPOSSIBLE TO COMPLETE. :roll: Some bugs are worse than others.

Anyway, forget it. The fact that JSW was bugged is irrelevant. Even if it was a shining example of perfect programming it's still an average platformer - at best.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Shin_Gouki

!

Post by Shin_Gouki » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:36 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
revgiblet wrote:
Robbo wrote: The originals were good fun, but GTA 3 and especially VC brought it to the top IMHO. SA's story was soooooo boring, and all that "yo wassup y'all" and "my bad" crap does my head in at the best of times. The SA soundtrack wussed out as well. VC's was pure MAGIC! 8)
SA was a better game, IMHO, but I didn't play it all the way to the end - unlike VC. VC had a much, much better soundtrack than SA. Three rap stations and a poor selection of Alternative and Indie tunes? What was
that about?

Agree with almost every word of that. Except I rather seemed to enjoy the country radio station in SA. Especially whilst riding down the country roads on a sit on lawnmower. :D
It night have something to do with the fact that I played SA after Vice City (I'm playing Vice City at the mo) but I thought SA was heaps better. For once the story wasn't about some mafia wannabe, and there was a lot more freedom and more to do. Plus Axl Rose as Tommy "The Nightmare" Smith on the K-DST radio station was ace. Also, you could steal a 747. 'Nuff said. Plus, K-DST had Toto. WOOO Toto!
真・豪鬼

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:43 am

Jet Set Willy might be an average platformer now but back when it was released it took the Speccy users by storm

Yeah i could never complete it but most people couldnt either, even if it wasnt bugged. People used to just love finding new rooms etc.

So many games its easy to look back on and think how rubbish they were and Jet Set Willy granted hasnt aged well but back then that single game sold a ton of Speccys alone

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:31 am

Barbarian is NOT a classic?!?!? WTF?!??!?!

It was SOOO entertaining, so much fun to play, the learning curve was pitched perfectly FFS!! What is there NOT to like about this game?

And as for your comment about "special move : bash,bash, bash + prey" - are we talking about the same game here??! Are you COMPLETELY unaware of this game's unique selling point?

DECAPITATION!!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:39 am

Everybody know that Barbarians real unique selling point was Maria Whittaker.