Modern games hate?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: Modern games hate?

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:06 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote: I haven't bothered with the single player game in MW2, played it a bit but I think with games like MW it's all about the multiplayer, and quite rightly too as it's fcuking brilliant......
I was kind of the oposide on MW2. I just couldn't enjoy the multi player for some reason but loved the single player mode (especially on Veteran difficulty).

Saying that, as soon as Super SFIV is released this April I can see me being glued to the Online mode if SFIV was anything to go by. I doubt I'll really touch the single player mode except for maybe the achievements.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:12 am

ShadowMan wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote: I haven't bothered with the single player game in MW2, played it a bit but I think with games like MW it's all about the multiplayer, and quite rightly too as it's fcuking brilliant......
I was kind of the oposide on MW2. I just couldn't enjoy the multi player for some reason but loved the single player mode (especially on Veteran difficulty).

Saying that, as soon as Super SFIV is released this April I can see me being glued to the Online mode if SFIV was anything to go by. I doubt I'll really touch the single player mode except for maybe the achievements.
Fair enough, but I think for most MW is for the online multiplayer.

SF is another game that is all about multiplayer, haven't played it for ages but when I was playing it was all online, same with VF5. I don't care about achievements so the only time I bother with the single player on something like SF4 or VF5 is to unlock extra characters etc

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:39 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
learnedrobb wrote:I persoanlly don't 'hate' new games.

I have massively enjoyed Batman: Arkham Asylum and Uncharted 2 of late.

What I do find irritating the the over-emphasis on multiplayer games. When I buy a game, I want a nice single player storyine to playthrough. That way I can learn the controls, refine my play style etc. What I don't want is a brief, nay cursory, single player campaign, and most of the dev resources clearly aimed at the MP element.

Hell, I know quite a few 'gamers' who play almost exclusively online, refusing to play the single player campaigns in games such as MW2 as its 'not fun to play on your own'.
I haven't bothered with the single player game in MW2, played it a bit but I think with games like MW it's all about the multiplayer, and quite rightly too as it's fcuking brilliant......
If you played MW2 a single player a bit you're probably already finished it!!! You might have blinked & missed it though :D
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:49 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote: Fair enough, but I think for most MW is for the online multiplayer.

SF is another game that is all about multiplayer, haven't played it for ages but when I was playing it was all online, same with VF5. I don't care about achievements so the only time I bother with the single player on something like SF4 or VF5 is to unlock extra characters etc
I think for me it was a case of me spawing>dying>spawning>dying etc. due to me really not being very good at the online deathmatches :lol: That said online special ops is brilliant and adds a whole lot of replayability to the game for me (especially trying to 3 star the later missions!)

Now you mention about character unlocking in fighting games, this is one thing I hope Super SFIV doesn't do. Personally for SFIV I found unlocking the characters a bit annoying - all I wanted to do was play the online mode but at the same time I couldn't bring myself to lower the difficulty and speed my way through arcade mode! I prefered the approach Capcom took for MVC2.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:35 am

I'm pretty sure Capcom already announced that character unlocks aren't going to be present in SSF4.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:44 am

speedlolita wrote:I'm pretty sure Capcom already announced that character unlocks aren't going to be present in SSF4.
Thats good to hear :mrgreen:

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:49 am

Tell me about it. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:35 pm

I like character unlocks. Gives a reason to paly single player.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:39 pm

nakamura wrote:I like character unlocks. Gives a reason to paly single player.
I agree. It would be crap if it was all designed around the online play.

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom has online but I usually just play single player since I don't have the time to co-ordinate online battles with friends. Just can't be bothered most of the time.

Having said all that, I think most Street Fighter games I have played have had no locked characters anyway. Unlockable fighters is mostly a trait of 3D games like Tekken and Soul Calibur.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:18 pm

And yet Tekken 6... :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:35 pm

I also like unlockable fighters and really enjoyed Marvel Vs Capom 2 on the DC as it just kept giving and gave the game some extra depth for single player. Soul Calibur on the DC done the whole single player unlockble thing the best though, no other fighter I've played has matched that yet.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:40 pm

C=Style wrote:I also like unlockable fighters and really enjoyed Marvel Vs Capom 2 on the DC as it just kept giving and gave the game some extra depth for single player. Soul Calibur on the DC done the whole single player unlockble thing the best though, no other fighter I've played has matched that yet.
Seconded. Unlocks are a good thing in my book.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:00 pm

I guess it just depends on how you're using the game.

I prefer my games to be as arcade like as they can be.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:00 pm

nakamura wrote:I like character unlocks. Gives a reason to paly single player.
But you shouldn't be forced to play the single player game.

I have no problem with unlockable characters in the single player game, as you say it can be good fun unlocking them all and then you can complete the game with them to watch the various endings etc.. My point is that when you play online ALL the characters should be available to use, even if you haven't unlocked them in the single player game.

It doesn't happen the other way round does it ? you don't have to play online for several hours to unlock Ryu for the single player mode, or win 20 online MW2 matches to be able to use a grenade launcher in single game player.

I know that in MW2 there are loads of unlockable weapons and perks etc, but they are gained by playing online, it doesn't force you to play the single player first just to level up......

Online and single play should be kept apart, people like myself who prefer online play shouldn't have to trudge through the single player mode and those who like single player mode shouldn't have to suffer being destroyed online just to unlock some part of the game........

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot Bayonetta came out this year and has to be one of my favourite games EVER.

So I guess I don't hate modern games all that much at all.
Logged out 15/07/2014.