Modern games hate?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

FlyHighKid

Re: Modern games hate?

Post by FlyHighKid » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:15 am

Sepp Salerno wrote:
Space_turnip wrote:Grenade launchers. Or 'Noob tubers' as they are called by the people who get killed by them constantly :lol:
Oh man, I've f**kin met them :evil:
also, as y'all know I've only been online (xbox live) for 2 weeks, but it seems to me that some people on like deathmatchs just dont die....it's like theyve put in a cheat or something. Does that happen?
Hmmm... Painkiller? That's the deathstreak that gives you double health... don't even get me started - censored rewarding people who can't play the game so they can ruin somebody else's killstreak :evil:
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:18 am

Makes little difference against a chopper or paveload or C130 attack.. you die. Repeatedly. "Oh look, 6 deaths inside 30seconds"

Worse that Eugenes lair on manic miner...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:30 am

Sepp Salerno wrote:
Space_turnip wrote:Grenade launchers. Or 'Noob tubers' as they are called by the people who get killed by them constantly :lol:
also, as y'all know I've only been online (xbox live) for 2 weeks, but it seems to me that some people on like deathmatchs just dont die....it's like theyve put in a cheat or something. Does that happen?

There's been a few glitchers and cheaters, but for the most part it's like FlyHighKid says, painkiller and some selective perks. COD4 was worse though - Juggernaut became a joke very early in that game. It's always been the same with the COD's though, I remember the random nade deaths in the early COD games far too vividly.
Still a great game though; yeah does need some tweaking here and there (especially with the killstreaks) but I'm liking it more than COD4 so far.

Also Sepp, I really need to add you to live. If only so I can shout out randomly to my girlfriend "I'M PLAYING WITH FU*KING VIC NORSEMAN!" ;)

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:39 am

:lol: Do it dude! My name on there is same as here Sepp Salerno!

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:24 am

paranoid marvin wrote:GAmes don't have the personality , the invention or imagination that they used to have; in short they're (usually) missing that 'x' factor. Wolfenstein is a perfect example - everything is there , great graphics , lots of different weapons , multiplayer options etc - but it isn't half the game that 'Return' was , and that came out lots of years ago.
With all due respect mate, balls.

There was shit, unoriginal, sparkless games on the old consoles just as there is today. To use one game which is universally considered average as your example of modern gaming is shortsighted and simply painting your arguement in a false light. If you can't see the genuine charm and inventiveness and simple fun in games like Trine, Little Big Planet, Katamari Forever, et al, and the sheer polish and playability of things like Assassin's Creed 2, then you're basically saying 'f*ck you, face, the nose is going'.

Gaming is awesome as long as you avoid the turds. Always has been, hopefully always will be.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:17 pm

Space_turnip wrote:
Sepp Salerno wrote:

There's been a few glitchers and cheaters, but for the most part it's like FlyHighKid says, painkiller and some selective perks. COD4 was worse though - Juggernaut became a joke very early in that game. It's always been the same with the COD's though, I remember the random nade deaths in the early COD games far too vividly.
Still a great game though; yeah does need some tweaking here and there (especially with the killstreaks) but I'm liking it more than COD4 so far.

Also Sepp, I really need to add you to live. If only so I can shout out randomly to my girlfriend "I'M PLAYING WITH FU*KING VIC NORSEMAN!" ;)
Ah, glitchers. I can't tell you how many Free-for-Alls and Team Deathmatches I had to quit because of somebody doing the unlimited care package/emergency airdrop glitch... though one time it was pretty hilarious - one time a bunch of snipers were glitching inside one of the spawn points and set up defenses made of ~10 Sentry Guns, however I had Cold-blooded on and got every single one of them with just my trusty knife :lol:
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:25 pm

slacey1070 wrote: On FIFA10, i hate people pulling the plug cause they are 2 down with 10 to go.
We were 5-0 down last night on clubs at half time. Didn't quit and finished up 5-1 with a great second half display! :D
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:26 pm

I persoanlly don't 'hate' new games.

I have massively enjoyed Batman: Arkham Asylum and Uncharted 2 of late.

What I do find irritating the the over-emphasis on multiplayer games. When I buy a game, I want a nice single player storyine to playthrough. That way I can learn the controls, refine my play style etc. What I don't want is a brief, nay cursory, single player campaign, and most of the dev resources clearly aimed at the MP element.

Hell, I know quite a few 'gamers' who play almost exclusively online, refusing to play the single player campaigns in games such as MW2 as its 'not fun to play on your own'.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Space_turnip wrote: I do agree with you there: I do wish the console concentrated on doing what it does best, and thats playing games. But then, every console (at least since the Mega Drive) has tried to sell itself as a 'complete entertainment package', so it's nothing new (Sega did it with the Mega CD and releasing non-games, the PS1 was sold as a great CD player, PS2 as a DVD player etc etc. It's gone over the top with both the PS3 and 360 (and the Wii to an extent, Iplayer and other channels), but it probably will only get worse when the next round of consoles comes along.
Yeah but the Wii does at least allow you to customise your dash. You don't have to have any of that horrible censored staring you in the face everytime you turn your conosle on, but with the 360 you can't do that, instead you are greeted by mug shots of that tw@t aceybongo and that other pair of excruciatingly annoying interviewers when you boot it up along with movie adverts and facebook/twitter etc... They should at least give you option to disable these parts lol.. I much prefered the old blades dash, wish they would give us an option to regress back to it because it looked a hundred times better.

I know all of this is such a stupid complaint as it's the games that matter and they are not effected by this but it still annoys me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:12 pm

C=Style wrote:Then there's all the other crap! I load up my 360 and I see Facebook, Twitter etc stuff polluting my games console. One reason I love the Wii is that it's not ashamed of being one, and I would argue the point that it's actually less commercial in a sense, hopefully you know where I'm coming from.
I know exactly what you mean. It's like the Wii's technical shortcomings have made it immune to all this modern garbage that other online services vomit at you constantly.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

bhyperp

Post by bhyperp » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:23 pm

I just hate the $$$ of them!!!!
Holy Crap mums don`t know the value of their kids VIDEO SYSTEMS!

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:35 am

Good point re multi-player. Since the New Year, I have almost exclusively played online MW2 & FIFA10 (Xboxers feel free to add me - tag as here!!) - however I played MW2 for a bit last night & I felt bored by it....

...So... fired up Fable 2... & had a cracking hour or so just wandering around exploring...

Life in single player yet I think....
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:46 am

slacey1070 wrote:Good point re multi-player. Since the New Year, I have almost exclusively played online MW2 & FIFA10 (Xboxers feel free to add me - tag as here!!) - however I played MW2 for a bit last night & I felt bored by it....
I'm similar in that sense. Since the New Year I've been trying to complete some games, yet all I could play was MW2... now I'm near prestige and getting VERY bored in minutes unless I have a good game AND I'm doing knifing only. And still, I seem to get bored after ~5 matches.
Image Image

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:01 am

learnedrobb wrote:I persoanlly don't 'hate' new games.

I have massively enjoyed Batman: Arkham Asylum and Uncharted 2 of late.

What I do find irritating the the over-emphasis on multiplayer games. When I buy a game, I want a nice single player storyine to playthrough. That way I can learn the controls, refine my play style etc. What I don't want is a brief, nay cursory, single player campaign, and most of the dev resources clearly aimed at the MP element.

Hell, I know quite a few 'gamers' who play almost exclusively online, refusing to play the single player campaigns in games such as MW2 as its 'not fun to play on your own'.
I haven't bothered with the single player game in MW2, played it a bit but I think with games like MW it's all about the multiplayer, and quite rightly too as it's fcuking brilliant......

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:03 am

I too have got bored with MW2 so have gone back to the previous game WAW and am really enjoying it again. Still loads of people playing and I love the unscoped bolt action rifles!

It's nice to go back to a more streamlined game as well.