Modern games hate?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rayne

Re: Modern games hate?

Post by Rayne » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:50 pm

I certainly don't have current-gen games, I just find them tedious.

I mean...for 40 quid I can get 30 PS2 games that'll keep me amused for ages. Or I can get one very pretty game that will keep me amused for a week.

There have been/will be some astounding games this gen though. I'm looking forward to trying Heavy Rain, Mirror's Edge genuinely thrilled me, L4D kept me awake for days on end :lol:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:00 pm

GAmes don't have the personality , the invention or imagination that they used to have; in short they're (usually) missing that 'x' factor. Wolfenstein is a perfect example - everything is there , great graphics , lots of different weapons , multiplayer options etc - but it isn't half the game that 'Return' was , and that came out lots of years ago.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:05 pm

speedlolita wrote:
FlyHighKid wrote:Recently I noticed a lot of negativity towards current-gen games like Bioshock 2, Aliens vs Predator and Mass Effect 2, why is that?
They're (IMO) all very good games as far as I'm concerned. Has anybody else noticed this?
I wouldn't touch any of those with a barge pole. No particular reason, just don't want my brain to turn to mush. :P
Game over for you man, game over :lol:

I really want Aliens Vs Predator. Thankfully a PS3 is on the cards for this March :D
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Eh, I'll just torrent it and play it on PC. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:14 pm

After a few more Saturn games, which I'm going to pick up tomorrow, and maybe a couple of Dreamcast games over the coming weeks, I'm going back to modern gaming for a bit to sample something "different" for a while. Been playing none-stop retro for the last six weeks, so back to a bit of modern for a while, then I'll get stuck back into retro. Good to have a variety in your gaming "diet" :D
Nintendo DS games: 41

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:30 pm

speedlolita wrote:Eh, I'll just torrent it and play it on PC. :lol:
Hope not :evil:
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:45 pm

FlyHighKid wrote:
Lets hope that was a joke :?
Nintendo DS games: 41

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:46 pm

FlyHighKid wrote:Recently I noticed a lot of negativity towards current-gen games like Bioshock 2, Aliens vs Predator and Mass Effect 2, why is that?
I loved Bioshock 1 (got the Platinum Trophy), AvP I've had a bit of a moan about, mainly as the demo is Multi-player and I'm not much of a fan of MP, and AvP pushed Aliens: CM back by at least a year, and I still haven't forgiven Sega for that. Mass Effect 2 I don't know anything about.

I mainly play modern games (see my PSN game card), and I've enjoyed every game I've bought for the PS2 & 3, though I still play at least one retro game a week (I'm in the retro gaming league).
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

MkII

Post by MkII » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:49 pm

I like games old and new, though oldschool games have such a different feel. With 'next-gen' games it feels like I have to hunker down and play, while something on the Mega Drive or NES is easy pickup and play. I think to many people have their head stuck-up their own ass to appreciate things.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:02 pm

I think that what gets me with Bioshock is the fact that praise seems to be heaped on it unanimously. Not for a minute do I mind people enjoying games I don't, and of course I also enjoy games other people haven't the time of day for. Bioshock's Metacritic score is around the 95/96 mark, which means that there was almost universal amongst the website/magazine views, whereas I think public opinion is a bit more divided.

Mass Effect I really liked though. But Dragon Age: Origins trounces it once you've got to grips with what you can do, and arguably it takes an entire playthrough before you realise its full potential - certainly that was the way with me. I nearly ditched it after about 20 hours on my first play, and even from there on I struggled. However, I'm 50 hours through a third play, this time as a mage, and arguably this is my favourite game yet.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:27 pm

I've got some big love for next gen, and of late I've been really bitin alot of new school titles, and I like the way modern gaming is going, and what it can do, but to be honest I play alot more retro titles because those were my real hardcore gaming days.

Also, for me next gen, and retro games are so differnt it's like comparin snooker with boxing - for me they really are that differnt

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:Lets hope that was a joke :?
You're right, I can't be bothered. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:
FlyHighKid wrote:
Lets hope that was a joke :?
Yeah, I get " :evil: " and " :twisted: " confused VERY easily.
necronom wrote: I loved Bioshock 1 (got the Platinum Trophy), AvP I've had a bit of a moan about, mainly as the demo is Multi-player and I'm not much of a fan of MP, and AvP pushed Aliens: CM back by at least a year, and I still haven't forgiven Sega for that.
Isn't Aliens: Colonial Marines coming out this November?
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:47 pm

I'd rather play a dozen modern FPS's than 99% of the shmups or fighters that have plagued consoles in the past. Which is what makes games so great eh, there's plenty of every title out there for everyone. I dont agree that modern games are tedious, reliant on graphical effects (the Dirt comparison for instance - yeah the game relies on a few graphical tricks perhaps, but when compared to something like WRC on the PS2, imo, it's a far better racer. And I love the WRC games.) or lacking in new ideas. I went off consoles in the 90's because of the constant output of the same type of game; now games at least have stories and a bit more depth to them.

But doesnt every generation have this same problem? I'm sure if there had been forums about in the early 90's there would of been similar calls; same goes for when 3D gaming started to pop up it's ugly polygon head.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:30 pm

You won't get any modern game hate from me.

Currently playing Fable 2, Arkham Asylum and MW2 online multiplayer and they pretty much wipe the floor with any "old" game I have ever played.

Still love the retro scene, wouldn't be here if I didn't, but I think gaming at the moment is arguably better than it has ever been before.......