Modern games hate?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

nakamura

Re: Modern games hate?

Post by nakamura » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:57 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Taken Modern Warfare, does nothing at all of note
Most played game in the world, must be doing something of "note", probably the fact thats it's the best multiplayer game ever, never mind eh, perhaps they should be a bit more creative next time ????
I didn't mean its not brilliant. I just mean it adds nothing new at all but certainly it does what it does really well. I can see how for some people it wouldn't appeal as it is a case of seen it a million tims before.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:45 pm

If I'm honest, I am actually finding new games boring and potentially half finished. Take Bioshock 2. I was full of enthusiasm when I bought it. I loaded it up and liked the intro a lot. Then I started playing it. And I liked it to begin with, but it's all gone rather down hill from there. It's same old, same old. The textures take a lot of time to update and make the graphics look awful. I can't really be bothered with anything new. Apart from Left 4 Dead 2, which, through the demo, was quite enjoyable.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Yeah gotta say I'm wary of Bioshock 2 now, as much as I love the first game I'm not shelling out £35 for what could be a DLC episode. I don't care for the multiplayer component and it doesn't seem to have enough new features to warrant me paying that much. I'll pick it up when it comes down though.

L4D 2 is a superb sequel, I don't understand people saying that it could have been DLC as the game is so much better than the original. Just about everything has been improved and the game is a whole lot bigger than the first, there is just so much more to it now. I think it's certainly the best online FPS experience out there at the mo. I don't play it nearly enough though.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:38 pm

Right, that's decided, then. I'll get that on 360 tomorrow. Might even be up for some 4-player online zombie slappage as well :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:53 pm

I thought L4D2 was awful going by the demo. It was plain, sparse and limited. You couldn't really do anything bar shoot crap looking Zombies. I never played the original mind but I heard its all about the multiplayer.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:14 pm

C=Style wrote:Yeah gotta say I'm wary of Bioshock 2 now, as much as I love the first game I'm not shelling out £35 for what could be a DLC episode. I don't care for the multiplayer component and it doesn't seem to have enough new features to warrant me paying that much. I'll pick it up when it comes down though.

L4D 2 is a superb sequel, I don't understand people saying that it could have been DLC as the game is so much better than the original. Just about everything has been improved and the game is a whole lot bigger than the first, there is just so much more to it now. I think it's certainly the best online FPS experience out there at the mo. I don't play it nearly enough though.
I got L4D 2 for xmas as a surprise off my step brother, and I really didnt dig the missions, so I f**kin sold it. I was told by loads of people how great it was multiplayer online, but I didnt have xbox live so I thought, I'll just sell it back to Game.......now I'm on xbox live......don't I feel like a d*ck :(

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:25 pm

I've been interested in playing Bioshock 1 again recently, so instead I'll get the second one and enjoy the original's great gamepla in a fairly new setting.

More of the same is what I want basically.
Nintendo DS games: 41

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:31 am

nakamura wrote:I thought L4D2 was awful going by the demo. It was plain, sparse and limited. You couldn't really do anything bar shoot crap looking Zombies. I never played the original mind but I heard its all about the multiplayer.

Yep, L4D ist really all about the multiplayer. I can imagine in SP it's just very dumb :D But if you can get some people together, it's really fun although I have even more fun with the versus-mode than coop...

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:27 am

L4D 1/2 4 player co-op is fantastic online. It encourages team work without forcing it onto you and you soon find that you are discusssing who should take what and when it should be used etc.

The versus mode is fun too especially when playing as the special infected.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:28 am

C=Style wrote:L4D 2 is a superb sequel, I don't understand people saying that it could have been DLC as the game is so much better than the original. Just about everything has been improved and the game is a whole lot bigger than the first, there is just so much more to it now. I think it's certainly the best online FPS experience out there at the mo. I don't play it nearly enough though.
That was me who said that (in the Bioshock 2 thread) and I stand by it. Just how is it 'so much better than the original'? It adds melee weapons, a couple of new zombie types and other bits and bobs, has new maps to run around....but it is just more of the same, same gameplay, same controls, same atmosphere, same sound effects etc. I'm not saying it's a bad game, it most certainly isn't, but it isn't a massive step up from the first either. In fact, I enjoy the level designs and end of campaign setpieces on the original more....I really dislike the 'Dark Carnival' section on Left4Dead 2, especially the rollercoaster and Tunnel Of Love sections. :evil:

And it's the same with Bioshock 2.....there's nothing wrong with it as a game, it's a perfectly good one....but it also feels to me like I'm just playing a carbon copy of the first one again, but with rejigged map layouts. Oh, and the fact that you're a Big Daddy now, obvioously :lol:

I don't hate modern games at all....I do hate lazy identikit sequels that show a bare minimum of refinement to the original's graphics, gameplay and even flaws and expect us to fork out top dollar again for them though, and regard them as a proper 'sequel', when they quite clearly aren't.

I still buy them though, hoping for a game to prove me wrong once in a while. And sometimes they do :)

It's not as if I'm much of a person to advise others on this matter anyway, I've been buying the yearly updates of WWE Smackdown each year for almost as long as they've been doing them :lol:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:34 am

Yeah but I wasn't actually referring to you Toxie, it's been said all over the net now ever since the first details emerged on the sequel. In fact Valve were so sure of this sequel and that it contained so much more than DLC could provide that they flew out (at their expense) a few of the more renowned naysayers to their H.Q in America to play the sequel's early code (I'm sure you've heard the story). It was from that point on that the majority of people agreed that L4D2 offered more than just mere DLC.

For a start it has better gfx, it's certainly a reworked engine and looks a lot better for it. Completely new levels (with much more variety) which are a lot bigger than the originals, new story, new weapons (loads more guns, plus introduction of melee weps, chainsaws, special ammo, boomber bile), new special Infected (playable), whole new modes of play. I mean what more does anyone want in a sequel? That's more than a lot of sequels get these days and yet no-one really moans. Of course it's going to be similar to the original material though but there is no way L4D2 is nothing but DLC, I personally don't see it like that anyway.

Maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh to say the same thing about Bioshock 2 lol, I haven't even played it yet anyway. But I am told that the gfx engine is exactly the same, that at least cannot be said for L4D2.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:33 pm

I don't hate modern games but I do find them very uninspiring. A gaming world ruled by indentikit FPS's that haven't moved on much from Doom or Quake except to add more button commands. Playing MW2 bored me to tears & Uncharted 2 hailed for it's movie like qualities had the dialogue of a straight to DVD release (& I'm being generous there!) If you're new to gaming, these titles would be my equivalent of Jet Pac or Sabre Wulf when I was young (ie jaw dropping & all consuming) but familiarity does breed contempt. Point, shoot, point, shoot & shoot some more. Boring!
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:54 pm

Nemesis wrote:I don't hate modern games but I do find them very uninspiring. A gaming world ruled by indentikit FPS's that haven't moved on much from Doom or Quake except to add more button commands. Playing MW2 bored me to tears & Uncharted 2 hailed for it's movie like qualities had the dialogue of a straight to DVD release (& I'm being generous there!) If you're new to gaming, these titles would be my equivalent of Jet Pac or Sabre Wulf when I was young (ie jaw dropping & all consuming) but familiarity does breed contempt. Point, shoot, point, shoot & shoot some more. Boring!
The last sentence is like saying all football games are just run, kick, run, kick and platform games are just, run, jump, run, jump. These are all the foundations of their respective genre's so of course they are going involve alot of these particular actions.

Goldeneye
MoH: Frontlines
Counterstrike series
Halo: Combat Evolved
CoD: Modern Warefare

All these games, and probably alot of others, are fantastic games and have evolved the FPS. Yes its all 'point, shoot, point, shoot like Doom was but to say they havnt moved on much from Doom or Quake is a joke.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:18 pm

Yeah I agree that FPS games have certainly come a long way from Quake, Doom etc but haven't quite evolved as much as I think they could have done. I mean, look at Goldeneye for example, it had a lot of revolutionary features for it's time but the real stand out thing besides the gameplay was the mission structure. It was just as fun in single player as it was multi, with so much replay value. Then along came Perfect Dark, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex which really broke the mould and gave these games some wonderful depth.

Now we are at a point 10 years later and the vast majority of FPS are a simple case of point and shoot (albeit extremely well executed on the control front) with a Holywood storyline tacked on but unfortunately, any additional game structure being extremely linear and "hold your hand" affairs. It's surprising as I find Deus Ex and certainly Perfect Dark more satisfying and engrossing than pretty much all FPS games released today (except maybe Metroid Prime). It's like a lot of these FPS games are so bare bones when it comes to the single player structure and it's a real shame I think.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:33 am

C=Style wrote:Yeah I agree that FPS games have certainly come a long way from Quake, Doom etc but haven't quite evolved as much as I think they could have done. I mean, look at Goldeneye for example, it had a lot of revolutionary features for it's time but the real stand out thing besides the gameplay was the mission structure.
I was actually shocked to learn that - upon visiting Rare - none other than gaming Legend Shigeru Miyamoto suggested they add the Sniper Rifle. The one thing that was absolutely stand-out about the game! A true landmark moment since it was possibly the first time many gamers ever got to use one so effectively, especially those who never got to play Shiny's MDK on PC.

Goldeneye itself has come to the Source Engine, albeit as a user-created Half-Life 2 Mod. 8)
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.