Whats your favourite Ultimate Game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pantal00ns

Re: Whats your favourite Ultimate Game?

Post by pantal00ns » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:37 am

I have a soft spot for Gunfright and Sabrewulf probably the most played.

I did enjoyed the simple early releases Jetpac, PSSST and Cookie etc for the pick up an play for a few mins.

Knightlore and Alien 8 looked great but was never really into the gameplay.

Toss of a coin probably Gunfright, was crap at it but made me go back for more.

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:16 am

Knightlore was the first and only Ultimate game that I actually owned back in the day on my Amstrad. Sabrewulf looked a bit crap compared to Knightlore. I loved the atmosphere generated by the game and its toughness kept me coming back time and again.

Since then I have played a few on emulators and Jet Pac is good fun esp on XBLA and I loved the feel, sound and atmosphere of Staff of Karnarth. Underwurlde I think is absolutely crap, with that awful jumping mechanic. Think its time I played through some of the others though!

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:33 am

I had Jetpac on the Vic 20, and have fond memories of that.

Sabrewulf was another goodun'!

But Knight Lore and Atic Atac for the Speccy I just loved!

I still play them a great deal today via emulation.

Plus, they were the main inspirations for Knightmare too :D
Press Play On Tape

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:21 pm

liveinabin wrote:As a kid, I always found their games amazingly hard (particularly Lunar Jetman) but I liked Cookie and I have a real soft spot for Alien8. I showed my big brother the ad for it in Sinclair User and helped me with the cash to buy it. We nearly finished it too. Got stuck between two walls when the stupid 'drop object, stand on object, jump while picking up object' mechanic failed leaving us stranded.

I know a lot of people dismissed Alien8 as just Knight Lore in space, but for me, the suffix 'in space' is a legitimate plus to any media.
I always preferred Alien8 to Knight Lore anyway.

For their best game, it's a toss-up between Alien8 and Nightshade for me.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:42 pm

Wil wrote:(Imhotep, I curse you with every fibre of my being).
i thought i was over it, but just by reading that sentence, i could feel my fingers curling into fists and tears forming in my eyes.

Lunar Jetman was too difficult, Gunfright had that awful shoot out minigame tacked on, Underwurlde was too random and anything after the Stampers was pretty appalling. Those aside, it was all pretty wonderful. Their 16k titles were a lot better than most companies 48k games. i used to love that company.

Oh yeah, and why did Sabrewulf insist you play using the Q,W,E,R & T keys??? Weird.

TwistedScrote

Post by TwistedScrote » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:50 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:
retromania wrote:JETPAC on the VIC 20

Pure Heaven :D

What he said, 100%
What he said about what he said

Fourthded.

Brilliant stuff.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:55 pm

It's got to be Sabre Wulf, if only because of those hippos. I had dreams about those hippos.

Is it actually true that "a common emulator glitch" causes the hippos to run backwards? I tried really hard to see that... reckon someone was playing silly buggers on Wikipedia and it passed into "lore"... :lol:
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:42 am

binaryRooster wrote:
Oh yeah, and why did Sabrewulf insist you play using the Q,W,E,R & T keys??? Weird.
ALL of the Ultimate games forced you to do that iirc.

After getting Underwurlde for my birthday 25 YEARS AGO AAAAAAAAAAAAGH 25 YEARS AGO?!?!?!

Sorry where was I.

Oh yeah - After getting Underwurlde for my birthday I was completely obsessed by this game for ages, loved it but never completed it, waaaaay too hard and random deaths abound.
Apart from that, Atic Atac was my all time fave timewaster, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I too got most of the map down and memorised it all, and eventually cracked it in under 10 mins almost by accident one day. I bloody loved that game.

Honourable mention - Jetpac, oh yes...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:59 am

Loved the early games like Tranz Am (superb game) and Jet Pac, wasnt a huge fan of Cookie or Psst.

Sabre Wulf i remember seeing for the first time and being blown away by it, Underwurlde was different but frustrating. Knight Lore took my breath away though when i first saw that and Alien 8 i think was even better. Loved the big black cases they came in as well.

Shame when years later newbies see these games and think theyre crap, you have to appreciate how breathtaking these were when they were released specially Knight Lore which helped bring in a whole new genre of game.

Gunfright i actually liked, Pentagram was okay-ish but by that time people seemed to have moved on from filmation style games. Cyberrun was sadly terrible, just way too difficult

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:42 am

Good point, the younger generation will never understand the impact that Ultimate made with their games. From the quality box packaging and artwork to the high quality of their games, they really raised the bar for computer games.

Getting Knight Lore for my birthday was a memorable moment. the game was pretty challenging, but was obviously a superior product compared to all my other games.

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:17 am

Jetpac. The only game that made me jealous of Speccy owners. For some reason I love the colour-clash on this game. Plus the squirty noise of the laser.