Whats your favourite Ultimate Game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Doddsy

Re: Whats your favourite Ultimate Game?

Post by Doddsy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:04 am

Romulous wrote:
One question for the Spec heads, what was the weirdest loader in the spectrum games, i don't mean multiloads or anything lilke that, but games that did weird and wonderful things with the loading sequence.
I always thought the loading screen for Starion was almost an musical experience!

Wil

Post by Wil » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:12 am

Knight Lore for me. It's maybe hard to see why now but it was such a big deal at the time. Of course the whole big box/mystery company thing added to the excitement, too.

I stuck with Ultimate until the bitter end, buying all the Speccy and C64 releases but things tailed off, for me, pretty sharply after Alien 8 and Entombed (Imhotep, I curse you with every fibre of my being).

SpeedBreaker

Post by SpeedBreaker » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:01 pm

My experience with Ultimate games is limited but I'd say Sabre Wulf on the C64. Simple but fun. I loved reading the brief journal entry stories in the Sabreman/Pendragon instructions as well.

onibocho

Post by onibocho » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:20 pm

Jet Pac reeled me in but Atic Atac, the first game I ever completed, was special.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:54 am

As a kid, I always found their games amazingly hard (particularly Lunar Jetman) but I liked Cookie and I have a real soft spot for Alien8. I showed my big brother the ad for it in Sinclair User and helped me with the cash to buy it. We nearly finished it too. Got stuck between two walls when the stupid 'drop object, stand on object, jump while picking up object' mechanic failed leaving us stranded.

I know a lot of people dismissed Alien8 as just Knight Lore in space, but for me, the suffix 'in space' is a legitimate plus to any media.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:00 am

retromania wrote:JETPAC on the VIC 20

Pure Heaven :D

What he said, 100%

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:15 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
retromania wrote:JETPAC on the VIC 20

Pure Heaven :D

What he said, 100%
What he said about what he said
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:24 am

As a C64 owner I have to say Entombed.. I loved the whole atmosphere, music, Egyptian setting... really enjoyed it.

That said, I have a soft spot for Staff Of Karnath as it's one of the first games I ever bought for it..

Also don't mind Blackwych or Dragonskulle, I know they're not that great, but I still quite enjoy playing them. I must say, for some reason I really like the title page music on Blackwyche....

I appreciate the Ultimate "classics" but have not really played them enough to really comment on them...

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:28 am

I remember the near-crushing disappointment of the C64 Ultimate games. Luckily, working in a computer shop, I got to play them 1st... but they really disappointed me...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:14 pm

I never really personally cared for their more cerebral titles although that's in no way denying the undoubted genius those games exhibited. So in that context my choice comes down to Jetpac, Pssst or Lunar Jetman as I never then owned Tranz Am or Cookie. My vote goes to Jetpac.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:16 pm

Does Dead Or Alive Ultimate count???

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Loved Jet Pac, especially for 16K title. Sabre Wulf was special as it was the only Ultimate game I successfully completed. Underwurdle for it's environmental details (gotta love those bubbles) & Gunfright for it's take on the wild west.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Romulous wrote:Ok, so i got really nostalgic tonight and decided to play some underwurlde, fanbloodtastic.

I setup ZX Spin to load the game the way it was meant to, screeching n all, and it all came flooding back to me.

One question for the Spec heads, what was the weirdest loader in the spectrum games, i don't mean multiloads or anything lilke that, but games that did weird and wonderful things with the loading sequence.
Also try Compendium or Blood Bros. by Gremlin....they basically have a constantly updating on screen storyline and instruction manual as they load in.

Oh, and fave Ultimate game for me? My vote goes to Cookie....great single screen arcade action with very nice graphics and bags of character.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:19 am

Gunfright for me I think,.. yeah Jetpack and Lunar Jetman are good... but I think I spent the most time with Gunfright.

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:32 am

At the time Jetpac looked stunning on the spectrum, it was seeing it in action that i decided to get a spectrum. But............ for me it's always been Sabre wulf, prolly it's best 2d game.
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!