Whats your favourite Ultimate Game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Doddsy

Whats your favourite Ultimate Game?

Post by Doddsy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:47 am

Was the question put to the magazine team in Issue 73. So what is yours?

I was wowed by Knightlore when it came out but doesn't look so impressive now, I enjoyed playing Sabrewulf as a close second but for me I'd say its Jetpac on the Speccy. A simple game to play but very addictive and all done in just 16k.

slacey1070

Re: Whats your favourite Ultimate Game?

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:23 am

Knightlore on the Amstrad blew me away....

... However, I played Jetpac more than anything (as a C64 & Vic20 owner...)

Also played Lunar Jetman a lot on my mate Spectrum.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:28 am

Jetpac...JETPAC.....JETPAC!!

'twas also the very first game i ever paid for myself. Paid my mate a £1 a week for 4 weeks.... :lol: Definitely got my money's worth out of it :D :D

EDIT: On the Spectrum 48k, btw
Last edited by nokgod on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

retromania

Post by retromania » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:34 am

JETPAC on the VIC 20

Pure Heaven :D

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:08 pm

Always a difficult question to answer when it comes to Ultimate games as there were so many good ones.

If i had to pick one then it would be Underwurlde although i have probably said Atic Atc or sabrewulf in the past - see :shock: so hard to choose.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Atic Atac - brilliantly simple and superbly playable - and the years havent changed that
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Attic Attac is my favourite too!! with Jetpac a very close second.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Ok, so i got really nostalgic tonight and decided to play some underwurlde, fanbloodtastic.

I setup ZX Spin to load the game the way it was meant to, screeching n all, and it all came flooding back to me.

One question for the Spec heads, what was the weirdest loader in the spectrum games, i don't mean multiloads or anything lilke that, but games that did weird and wonderful things with the loading sequence.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Gonna have to say Jetpac as that has awesome gameplay even to this day! The only Speccy game on XBLA but it's there for a reason. I did also quite like Gunfright on the MSX, I always preferred that over Knightlore, just thought it was more interesting with the shooting mini-games.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Romulous wrote:Ok, so i got really nostalgic tonight and decided to play some underwurlde, fanbloodtastic.

I setup ZX Spin to load the game the way it was meant to, screeching n all, and it all came flooding back to me.

One question for the Spec heads, what was the weirdest loader in the spectrum games, i don't mean multiloads or anything lilke that, but games that did weird and wonderful things with the loading sequence.
Give Technician Ted a try.
Splink!

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:08 pm

felgekarp wrote:
Romulous wrote:Ok, so i got really nostalgic tonight and decided to play some underwurlde, fanbloodtastic.

Give Technician Ted a try.
Best loading sequence for the Speccy that one, one of the Joe Blade (i think the 1st, might be wrong though) games lets you play Pacman while it loads. Which is nice...

Back to the subject though i have to go with Jetpack. Although i've never cared too much for the isometric games most of the others i thought were great.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:49 pm

I'm not being a troll here, but I never rated *any* of the Ultimate games. Even as a schoolboy, I still felt them pretty overrated, I muchly preferred stuff like Movie and Fairlight over the Ultimate isometrics, and always found Jetpac too base (despite its slickness and technical adeptness). I found Ultimate's output a bit too smug, nor never rated Underwurlde, which I tried so hard to like.

I even played the Speccy tape Cyberun to death, tried to enjoy it, but the gulf was so, so massive.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:49 am

Atic Atac for me. It was just the one with the best balance of playability, originality and longevity; I still play it now from time to time, although it only takes a few minutes as I've got pretty much the entire map committed to memory.

Jetpac and Knight Lore are both great too. It's easy to say that there are better isometric games around than the latter, but without KL to set the standard those probably wouldn't have existed; rather, people would have just been copying the likes of Ant Attack, Crystal Castles and Zaxxon instead.

I'd have to say that the remainder of the Ultimate games have paled a bit over time; they either tended to be derivative of the three I've mentioned and/or have some serious gameplay flaws.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 am

Romulous wrote:One question for the Spec heads, what was the weirdest loader in the spectrum games, i don't mean multiloads or anything lilke that, but games that did weird and wonderful things with the loading sequence.
Granted not a loader but once Brian Bloodaxe loaded that got me fooled the first time !

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:05 am

Jet Pac on the Vic. Excitement on an audio tape and no mistake.