ADVENTURE GAMES!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Junestarr

Post by Junestarr » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:23 pm

Hey - cheers for all your posts guys! Really appreciate them and will follow up the info some of you left me - ace! Checked out Broken Sword 4 previews tho - man can I not wait for that!!

On a slightly different theme does anyone remember Buck Rogers in the 25th Century on the Megadrive?? How good was that game man?!! I have got to get myself a Megadrive again to re-live those gaming years - they were the best!

Fascination on Amiga anyone??

devilman

Post by devilman » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:19 am

I used to love that Buck Rogers game. Awful sound and pretty average graphics but still engrossing stuff.

sven

Re:

Post by sven » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:35 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Avoid any Sierra adventure ,these were some of the worst imho
Bollocks. 8) The Sierra games were the apex of adventure gaming. I'd recommend any of their AGI games (except the Manhunters) and every one of their SGI games. Classic, top notch stuff.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:53 am

I like Sierra too.

But more importantly, how come Bollocks didn't get censored???

Ghostbiscuit

Post by Ghostbiscuit » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:16 am

Since no-one's mentioned it so far: I assume, Junestarr, you know about ScummVM?

Junestarr

Post by Junestarr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:06 am

Eh?? No I don't!!

Pray tell?!!

Cheers!

Ghostbiscuit

Post by Ghostbiscuit » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:34 pm

Well, it's an emulator that lets you play SCUMM games (and a few others) on "Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Dreamcast, PocketPC, PalmOS, AmigaOS, BeOS, OS/2, PSP, PS2, SymbianOS/EPOC and many more..."

It's great as I have a Mac now, but I can play all my old LucasArts games from my PC CDs. 8) Just wish they'd hurry up with the Discworlds and Grim Fandango...

Click the link in my previous post to go to the ScummVM site. You'll find all the info there. :)

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:32 pm

sven wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
Avoid any Sierra adventure ,these were some of the worst imho
Bollocks. 8) The Sierra games were the apex of adventure gaming. I'd recommend any of their AGI games (except the Manhunters) and every one of their SGI games. Classic, top notch stuff.
But you could get to a stage in the game,where you couldn't continue because you hadn't picked up an item earlier in the game

Plus you died WAY too much

The actual storylines were great though (esp Police Quest games)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:52 pm

Ghostbiscuit wrote:It's great as I have a Mac now, but I can play all my old LucasArts games from my PC CDs. 8) Just wish they'd hurry up with the Discworlds and Grim Fandango...
I dunno about Mac, but someone's written an XP launcher for Grim Fandango as I only played it recently. Must get round to finishing it sometime...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sven

Re:

Post by sven » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:00 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
But you could get to a stage in the game,where you couldn't continue because you hadn't picked up an item earlier in the game

Sure, this happens. It was a different time, we accepted these shortcomings in design then. I remember quite vividly the night that I was playing King's Quest 2. In this game, you must locate the keys to a magical door which is placed on the other side of a rickety bridge. I had gone back and forth to examine the door a few times, which is something you should not do, because when I had finally found the last key, the bridge snapped when I walked over to open the door, plunging me to my doom. I had to restart the game completely.

Yet, I find the game to be utterly compelling even today. Gold Rush was even tougher in this aspect, as there is tons of thing you must do before leaving for California, but this game is also one of the ones I cherish the most. Lucasarts spoiled us adventurers when they removed instadeaths and obstacles you couldn't continue past if you forgot something earlier.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:24 pm

sven wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:

Sure, this happens. It was a different time, we accepted these shortcomings in design then. I remember quite vividly the night that I was playing King's Quest 2. In this game, you must locate the keys to a magical door which is placed on the other side of a rickety bridge. I had gone back and forth to examine the door a few times, which is something you should not do, because when I had finally found the last key, the bridge snapped when I walked over to open the door, plunging me to my doom. I had to restart the game completely.

Yet, I find the game to be utterly compelling even today. Gold Rush was even tougher in this aspect, as there is tons of thing you must do before leaving for California, but this game is also one of the ones I cherish the most. Lucasarts spoiled us adventurers when they removed instadeaths and obstacles you couldn't continue past if you forgot something earlier.
I'm sorry ,I couldn't accept those shortcomings,which is why I didn't like them!

You're right about them being compelling though.Without the shortcomings they would have been as good as Lucasarts best efforts
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Demonblaze

Post by Demonblaze » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:15 am

You can download the pc version of fascination from the abandonware site french-kiss but good luck trying to get it to work. And as well as scummvm you need to download VDMSound (and the launch pad for it) dosbox and the frontend d-fend. Experimenting with these and checking through google for guides you'll get all kinds of games to work again. Universe on the amiga kicked ass and in my opinion the cd32 was the best although it was my ecs version that came with the cool art cards. http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk is a good site with the adventure game maker and alot of games made with it ready for download. Games of paticular note are the apprentice 1&2 and frank the farmhand (for hilarity value). Don't be put off by the graphics as you'll find a good few gems here.

MattC

Post by MattC » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:57 pm

The reason nobody wants to buy adventure games anymore is because they have morphed from well though out, engrossing games with interesting, logical puzzles, well developed characters and fantastic artwork (Monkey Island I,II,III, Day of the Tentacle, Simon the Sorceror, Broken Sword, Steel Sky, Sam & Max, etc...) into shallow, poorly drawn, badly written 3D travesties with endless 'move the crate' or 'repeat this action fifteen times' puzzles (Simon the Sorceror III, the last Broken Sword game, the last Monkey Island game)

Fortunately traditional 2D adventure games are still being written by people who do it simply for the love of the genre, and released as freeware. Many of them are almost as good as the commercial offerings.

Try these links for new and old games:

http://www.reloaded.org/Adventure-Games/

http://www.abandonia.com/genre.php?genr ... ure&page=0

Junestarr

Post by Junestarr » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:14 am

Hey! Nice one! Great stuff - thanks loads for that!!

I friggin LOVE adventure games man!!

MattC

Post by MattC » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:31 am

Me too! Some of the new freeware games are very good albeit sometimes a little crude on the graphics front. I particularly like the Yahtzee games 5 days a Stranger, 7 days a Skeptic and Trilby's Notes.

BTW, in spite of what I said in the above post I actually quite like the last Monkey Island game - it's just not up to the standard of it's 2D brethren and the last 'Monkey Kombat' section is rather tedious.