ADVENTURE GAMES!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Junestarr

ADVENTURE GAMES!

Post by Junestarr » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:16 am

Hi - Just discovered the site and this is my first post so sorry if this has been covered before.

Im a absolute massive fan of retro style point & click adventure games - you know - Monkey Island, Broken Sword, Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis, Sherlock Holmes & the Rose Tattoo, Simon the Sorcerer etc etc. I've been out the loop for a few years now tho and was wondering if Ive missed any new games like these that I'd love. I have a PC and PS2. Already have Broken Sword 3 and Largo Winch for the PS2.

Also does anyone remember a game called FASCINATION???? I used to love that game - it was on the Amiga and was another point & click adventurer - can you still get it anywhere? In fact can you get any of the games I mentioned above anywhere online per chance?

Ah - and Crime City - awesome!!

Thanks all.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:22 am

Not a point and click but I found Fahrenheit to be a very similar type of game to Broken Sword 3, albeit slightly more action orientated. There are 3 different endings and although I have seen them all, each "scene" has multiple routes through so you won't see the same thing each playthrough.

The only annoying bit is the 2 stealth sections as it's a bit hit and miss.

Great game and you can pick it up for less than a tenner.

Also Welcome to the Forum!!!

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:27 am

There's a new Sam & Max on the way isn't there?

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:13 am

look for touche the muskateer a great old pc adventure.
also get the discworld games , I think most are now abandonware.
Retro when it wasnt cool

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:15 am

If you can fnd them, the two Syberia games are bloody brilliant, as is Still Life.

And since you mentioned Amiga point 'n' clickers, have you ever played Universe? Now that's a cracking game!

Plus there's the two 'Bone' games available from Telltale, the same guys who are doing the new Sam & Max.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:38 am

Lindopski wrote:get the discworld games , I think most are now abandonware.
Tell that to Terry Pratchett...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:37 pm

Have you visited these two sites Junestarr ? :) http://www.justadventure.com & http://www.adventuregamers.com

I've had them bookmarked for ages & keep meaning to check them out. They seem to be pretty comprehensive. Justadventure also has a shop with quite a huge selection of games to buy.
Last edited by Morkin on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

backdrifter

Re:

Post by backdrifter » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:40 pm

I'd certainly highly recommend that particlar site. I suppose I might just be a tiny little bit biased considering I'm writing for them, but hey, it's the best adventure gaming site out there!

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:45 pm

Looking at those sites, I hadn't quite realised just how busy the adventure community has been. Why don't we see more coverage of this stuff in the magazines. :?

backdrifter

Re:

Post by backdrifter » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:27 pm

Morkin wrote:Looking at those sites, I hadn't quite realised just how busy the adventure community has been. Why don't we see more coverage of this stuff in the magazines. :?
Because no bugger wants to buy adventure game these days! Though for us fans, it does mean titles are usually available relatively cheaply, and there's tonnes of retro adventure titles out there ready to be snapped for a quid or two.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:06 pm

Opperation Stealth was a good 'action' adventure,also for Amiga

And you can't go wrong with any Lucasarts adventures (always try and get the 'talkie' PC versions rather than the Amiga)-esp worth getting are Fate Of Atlantis and Day of the Tentacle

Also Star Trek 25th Anniversary (again talkie PC) is absolutely fab

Avoid any Sierra adventure ,these were some of the worst imho

PS if you liked Lucasarts Indy adventures,there's a great demo you can download for the fanbased creation 'The Fountain of Youth'
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

backdrifter

Re:

Post by backdrifter » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:39 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
That good eh? Got the Amiga version on the shelf waiting to be played.

Dell_Zincht

Post by Dell_Zincht » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:16 pm

Broken Sword: The Angel of Death is due out on PC sometime this Autumn. Provisional Release date was the end of September, but it's probably been delayed.

Players get the choice to either use a point and click interface or the third person interface (as used in BS3).

It also looks really really good, I can't wait for it.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:52 pm

backdrifter wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
That good eh? Got the Amiga version on the shelf waiting to be played.
The full-talkie, hard-drive installed PC version is indeed absolutely great. I suspect the Amiga version might be a little less great.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:53 pm

Dell_Zincht wrote:Broken Sword: The Angel of Death is due out on PC sometime this Autumn. Provisional Release date was the end of September, but it's probably been delayed.

Players get the choice to either use a point and click interface or the third person interface (as used in BS3).

It also looks really really good, I can't wait for it.
I was a bit disappointed with The Sleeping Dragon. I got fed up with puzzles that involved you moving crates or turning mirrors. I want inventory-based puzzles from my adventure games!
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian