Yakuza 3

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Joey

Re: Yakuza 3

Post by Joey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:51 pm

Well I've completed 1 & 2 I've just got so little time now for gaming.

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:20 pm

Sorry old bean.. didn't realise you'd played the first two. It depends tbh, if you can just stick to Y3's main campaign then I don't see too much of a problem. I can't do that with these games myself though.. I just get too tempted and go on the wander or welly the mini-games. :lol:

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Raziel wrote:Sorry old bean.. didn't realise you'd played the first two. It depends tbh, if you can just stick to Y3's main campaign then I don't see too much of a problem. I can't do that with these games myself though.. I just get too tempted and go on the wander or welly the mini-games. :lol:
Yea that my problem too :lol: I just can't help agreeing to the needs of every NPC I come across.

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:45 pm

:lol:

Get it you know you want to..... :wink:

You can always come back to the side stuff later on if your picking 4 up.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:36 am

Raziel wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:if the past recap movies are anything to go by then they do tend to miss out odd points here and there.
Agreed... and you miss out on all the ass kicking.... :lol:

Cheers over Kenzan etc... I'll definitely get round to the Psp games.. :D

Just playing the Yakuza 4 demo. The first guy seems to be the one that can string long combo's, where as the copper takes more getting used to his parry's and what not work well. As for the big guy... proper on the rampage with him... you want some?.... you want some to?... and you... and you..... come and have a go if you think your hard enough.... ave it... :lol:. Kaz is still hards as nails though.... :D
Have you managed to figure out how to pull off the unique heat move with the big dude? (Taiga) I think he's supposed to have a heat move which activates when you knock an enemy into the air or something but for the life of me I can't figure it out! Glad to see that Kiryu retains his Cigerette heat move, that was probably my favourite one in Yakuza 3 :mrgreen:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:47 am

ShadowMan wrote:Have you managed to figure out how to pull off the unique heat move with the big dude? (Taiga) I think he's supposed to have a heat move which activates when you knock an enemy into the air or something but for the life of me I can't figure it out! Glad to see that Kiryu retains his Cigerette heat move, that was probably my favourite one in Yakuza 3 :mrgreen:
I'm still trying different stuff out; his heat moves sound absolutely bone-shattering...

Hells Floor is still my fav....

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:33 am

Yakuza Of the End demo (the one with zombies!) is up for download tomorrow in Japan:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/0 ... _tomorrow/

It'll probably be part of one of the early chapters of the story but it does sound like you'll get to explore the city a bit. I can't wait to get this downloaded as I'm interested to see just how the game plays now that its a third person shooter.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:23 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Yakuza Of the End demo (the one with zombies!) is up for download tomorrow in Japan:

It'll probably be part of one of the early chapters of the story but it does sound like you'll get to explore the city a bit. I can't wait to get this downloaded as I'm interested to see just how the game plays now that its a third person shooter.
Ill have to set up a Jap PSN account then, cant wait!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Joey wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Yakuza Of the End demo (the one with zombies!) is up for download tomorrow in Japan:

Ill have to set up a Jap PSN account then, cant wait!
Same here, next to MvC3 its been my most anticipated game of 2011 :mrgreen:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:47 am

The demo for Of the End is now up on the Japanese store, its a 1.7 Gig download. Can't wait to try it out after work :mrgreen:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:45 pm

Gave the Yakuza Of the End demo a go tonight and it was longer than I thought it would be. I'm guessing its most if not all of the first chapter and its pretty lengthy at that if you take your time and look around (took me a couple of hours to complete).

The game starts out normally (well as normally as any Yakuza game gets). You can explore the city a little before its destroyed (though there are only a couple of shops to go into and most of the city is out of bounds). You can go into the slots house to play the slot machines but the only one you can play on is a rather standard slot machine which are quite similar to the ones you got in Shenmue (the Virtua Fighter Pachinko Machine looked way more interesting!).

You can also go on a date with one of the Hostesses. This involves - some sort of bath house mini game (dreaming of the girl naked as she washes :? ), then a ping pong mini game which to actually win relies on staring at the girls cleavage more than anything. The last bit is the standard hostess mini game where you listen to them yap on and on about something and then choose an answer to whatever they were saying (I just picked the top answer each time, seemed to work like a charm!)

After a brief look round the city its then plunged into chaos and the game gives you a couple of tutorials on how the new gun combat works. Its pretty straight forward stuff - square is fire, L1 is reload, R1 is strafe, R2 is manual aim, O is a kick/push back attack and X is a dodge move. The shooting mechanics feel very arcadey with the game auto aiming unless you use R2. Its usually pretty accurate and I certainly had no problems taking down hordes of the undead. R2 is great for headshots which cause the Zombies heads to explode in a shower of blood :mrgreen: The hitbox for the zombies heads seems pretty large, at times I swear I was aiming just left or right of their heads and the game still registered it as a headshot not that I'm complaining!
The only problem so far is the camera. It can have a mind of its own at times and makes it hard to target zombies. I found that the more I played it the more I got used to it though.

Like in previous Yakuza games you can still pick up melee weapons and bits of scenery to beat the crap out of zombies. The only difference is that as of yet you don't get heat moves for them like in past Yakuza games.

Speaking of Heat moves it seem they have mainly been modified to fit with the gun combat - at times you'll come across green "!" icons which at the tap of the triangle button lets you execute a devastating attack (usually followed by a huge explosion) which takes out groups of zombies at once. Heat moves I've seen so far - Shooting the petrol cap of a car blowing it sky high taking everything in the general radius with it, shooting my partners grenades in mid air, shooting a propane tank.

Near the end of the game you get access to more weapons - shotguns, assault rifles, sub machine guns, magnums, grenades etc. which unlike your default weapon have limited ammo but you can carry around spare ammo and replemish it by finding ammo littered around the city. As you'd expect each weapon has its own pro's and con's when its comes to combat.

The game gives you a few action stages to fight your way through - the ones you get in the demo is shooting through the city, shooting through the underground mall, back through the city again to a sewer entrance and then finally a battle beneath the city in the sewer system. As a whole you get huge groups of zombies swarm you at one time, not a problem in the city as its a nice wide open environment but in the sewers or mall its a much smaller space so you can get surrounded much easier!

Most of the zombies are your general shambling masses which are barely a threat unless they are up close where they start biting or grabbing you. They do sometimes run at you so you can't always just stand at a distance and pick them off. There are also a couple of other types of zombies that from what I've read are "homages" to the Left for Dead zombie classes but having never played L4D I wouldn't know. You do get a huge zombie that towers over you and takes tons of damage before it dies and a female zombie that seems to just scream and cause lots of other zombies to swarm around you and attack.

All in all I was impressed. Gameplay wise its like a more arcadey version of Reseident Evil. Basically a faster paced version of RE4 with monster designs taken from the original RE games topped off with Yakuza's cast of characters and engrossing story.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:43 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Gave the Yakuza Of the End demo a go tonight and it was longer than I thought it would be.
Just played through this and yes that is a nice big demo, was on it for nearly 2 hours!

Lots of Q's though such as how long Into the game is it before the area is devastated meaning you won't be able to do all the side stuff as in the previous games?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:10 pm

Joey wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Gave the Yakuza Of the End demo a go tonight and it was longer than I thought it would be.
Just played through this and yes that is a nice big demo, was on it for nearly 2 hours!

Lots of Q's though such as how long Into the game is it before the area is devastated meaning you won't be able to do all the side stuff as in the previous games?
From what I've read and seen so far I get the feeling that you don't spend that much time in the pre devastates city. You still get to do all the side stuff once the zombies pop up.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:34 pm

If anyones after Yakuza 3 its £10 in Morrisons at the minute. Absolute bargain.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb