Yakuza 3

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SirClive

Re: Yakuza 3

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:18 am

Loftgroover wrote:
thevulture wrote:Hmnnn.Another 6/10, This time? GAMEStm.Say: 'Similar to it`s predecessors, and just as flawed'
thats actually the most positive quote from their review. read more like a 5 or below review to me. one of the rare occasions where a magazine has stopped me buying a game. thought the reasons for the low score were explained very well.

the whole orphans/dog mission sounds like the game equivalent to water torture for me.
That just makes me glad I DIDN'T read the reviews before hand as they probably would have stopped me buying it.

Am probably gonna pick up 1 & 2 now aswell.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:42 am

I`ll probably pick up 1+2 at some point, espically given the price, as for 3? Really do find the concept/Flawed logic behind 'Solving' the Orphan/Dog section enough to convince me game won`t be worth buying until price has dropped and i`m in the frame of mind that tedium can be endured. :wink:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:30 pm

You can probably rush through the first couple of chapters which deal with the orphans pretty quickly. Most of it is simple fetch quests with the odd golf match in between so it shouldn't take to long to get back to Tokyo. I've been trying to do pretty much everything as I go and have been mainly ignoring the story in favour of all the side missions and mini games which get really addictive. Can't wait to unlock the fighting tournaments, that tends to be where I spend most of my time in each game!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:44 am

Well, I'm pretty much done with Yakuza 3 now. I've completed the main story mode, done all the side missions and as much of the optional stuff as possible (Everything bar the last couple of Pool Matches and EX Hard Baseball) and finished the awesome mission mode. Weirdly enough fans of the series say this one is the worst of the series yet it is still a fantastic game in its own right and even with the cuts in content its still provided me with more hours worth of gaming than any other game that has been released this year.

Some of the missions on mission mode are pretty damn evil though - the team battle with Akimoto is probably the hardest of the lot to complete thanks to the fact the idiot can only take 4 hits and insists on trying to take on all the enemies himself! The final challenge which has you fighting all the bosses in the game (well, not Amon thankfully) is also a bit of a pain as Komaki is the last guy you have to beat and he can be a right SOB unless you get his pattern down (and even then, he's still hard as nails!).

Not sure which Yakuza game I'll play next. I'm tempted to replay the first one to complete all the side missions to fight Amon or I might just start Yakuza 4 once the translation FAQ is out.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:47 am

For those interested:
http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2010/06/08/iamkazuma/

Yakuza 4 is getting translated after all. Good news indeed :mrgreen:
It'll be interesting to see what inevitably gets cut this time round but at least the game is actually getting translated. Unlike poor Kenzan! which looks to have been ignored completely. Kinda ironic since its the best installment in the franchise :?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:26 am

The demo of Yakuza 4 is now up for download. Anyone else tried it yet? Its a pretty short demo (4 battles) that lets you play as all 4 playable characters from the story mode.

Kind of disapointed that they chopped out the story chapter that was in the Japanese demo (it was chapter 1 of the main game) but the demo itself was good fun. The 3 new characters all have their own fighting styles that are easy to learn (they all follow the same simple square/triangle button combinations that Kiryu has always had) and each have their own special attributes - Taiga is slower but incredibly strong and can pick up weapons that others cannot (like huge barrels or motorcycles). Tanimura has a badass counter move that can counter pretty much any enemy attack (even ones using weapons). Shun is quite similar to Kiryu though except he mainly uses kick attacks as opposed to punch combo's.
Otherwise its business as usual. Graphically it looks like a slightly improved Yakuza 3 (water/rain effects look awesome) and the detail on the main characters is exceptional.

The release date looks like the game will be out around mid March (18th is the date that I've been seeing) which is pretty much the exact date that Japan will be getting the next Yakuza/RGG game (Of the End, the one with zombies). Not sure which I'm looking forward to more, I guess it depends on if Of the End has solid shooting mechanics or not...

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:28 am

thevulture wrote:I`ll probably pick up 1+2 at some point, espically given the price, as for 3? Really do find the concept/Flawed logic behind 'Solving' the Orphan/Dog section enough to convince me game won`t be worth buying until price has dropped and i`m in the frame of mind that tedium can be endured. :wink:

I dunno I quite enjoyed majority of the orpan stuff as I found myself caring for them after a while. The one where you have to go buy clothes for one of the boys who's on a date is quite funny, then there's the one's where one of the kids is getting bullied, then one who's been stealing. And one kid who's mother wants to commit suicide due to the loss of her husband.. a guy you dealt with in one of the earlier games made me feel almost a little guilty tbh.

Got Yakuza 4 on pre-order.. giving the demo a blast later...

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:41 am

I didn't mind the orphan stuff either. It was a nice change of pace from punching people in the face I guess :lol:
Raziel wrote:The one where you have to go buy clothes for one of the boys who's on a date is quite funny.
That was probably my favourite of the bunch. I kept an extra save to try the other choice(s) you get clothes wise and I think no matter what choice you pick it always ends up the same way though.

Still no news of Sega translating and bringing over the PSP Yakuza game though which is a shame. Hopefully it won't follow the same fait that Kenzan! seems to have suffered but I'm still a little unsure of it ever getting an English release. A real shame too as I played the Japanese version to death on release last year and it was fantastic. Easily up there with the PS2 Yakuza's in terms of quality and content thats for sure.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:50 am

I'm thinking this will be the next game I pick up, although I need to start and complete Red Dead Redemption first :oops:

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:52 am

ShadowMan wrote:I didn't mind the orphan stuff either. It was a nice change of pace from punching people in the face I guess :lol:
Raziel wrote:The one where you have to go buy clothes for one of the boys who's on a date is quite funny.
That was probably my favourite of the bunch. I kept an extra save to try the other choice(s) you get clothes wise and I think no matter what choice you pick it always ends up the same way though.

Still no news of Sega translating and bringing over the PSP Yakuza game though which is a shame. Hopefully it won't follow the same fait that Kenzan! seems to have suffered but I'm still a little unsure of it ever getting an English release. A real shame too as I played the Japanese version to death on release last year and it was fantastic. Easily up there with the PS2 Yakuza's in terms of quality and content thats for sure.
Can't beat that...:lol: Yakuza 4 really can't come fast enough

Agreed some do stand out more than others.

I've still not got round to playing that.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:32 am

Raziel wrote:I've still not got round to playing that.
Both Kenzan! and Yakuza PSP are worth a shot if you get the opportunity. The PSP game pretty much completely changes the fighting system though, nearly all of its battles are 1 on 1 plus the combat is much deeper than the main Yakuza games. Not a bad thing though, you get loads of different fighting styles each with different combo's and heat moves which you unlock throughout the game.

Kenzan! though is still quite possibly my favourite game of the series so far though. The sword based combat is executed perfectly, there are tons of heat moves to learn (pretty much all of them are dead awesome to use), its got an excellent story and I just really liked the time period the game was set in.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Do you think it's a must to play 3 before 4? Or could it be skipped.

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Joey wrote:Do you think it's a must to play 3 before 4? Or could it be skipped.
I maybe wrong, but going off the other games I'd say you'd be better off playing them in order. The storyline has a lot of backstory and characters which over arches throughout all of the games (kind of like how boxsets do) its not self contained like the Gta's are.

Yakuza 3 kicks off sometime after the end of Yakuza 2. But, it takes you through the events from the end of Yakuza 2 over the first few chapters bringing you back round to its opening and then going forward from there.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:48 pm

Yeah. If you have a chance you should really play through the past 3 games before playing number 4 since there are several returning characters, storylines and side missions that reference the previous games (plus they are all really good!). However there is 3 recap movies that should be included with Yakuza 4 that cover the past events of each game but if the past recap movies are anything to go by then they do tend to miss out odd points here and there.

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:03 pm

ShadowMan wrote:if the past recap movies are anything to go by then they do tend to miss out odd points here and there.
Agreed... and you miss out on all the ass kicking.... :lol:

Cheers over Kenzan etc... I'll definitely get round to the Psp games.. :D

Just playing the Yakuza 4 demo. The first guy seems to be the one that can string long combo's, where as the copper takes more getting used to his parry's and what not work well. As for the big guy... proper on the rampage with him... you want some?.... you want some to?... and you... and you..... come and have a go if you think your hard enough.... ave it... :lol:. Kaz is still hards as nails though.... :D