Yakuza 3

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Joey

Yakuza 3

Post by Joey » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:42 pm

Ive been waiting ages for this and the trailer looks brutal.

The minigames look amazing as well. Cant wait to explore tokyo's red light district!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=233777

StarEye

Re: Yakuza 3 UK trailer

Post by StarEye » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:49 pm

I somewhat enjoyed the first game, and I'm looking forward to trying Yakuza 3 and see if it's gotten any better. I feel like I should play Yakuza 2 first though, but I don't have it and I'm not so sure I'm interested enough in the story to bother. I'll probably just skip that and play three.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:26 am

There will be a story recap at the start of Yakuza 3 that will briefly fill you in on the details of the last 2 games so you'll probably be OK going straight to 3. Personally I'd recommend playing Yakuza 2 as it has the strongest story of the lot so far (just edging out the first one, though Yakuza 4's story looks extremely promising)

Music aside the trailer looks badass, I'll be interested to see what additions/tweaks they've made to the combat system this go around (Yakuza 2 improved vastly on the originals combat) and thankfully load times for random fights are all but gone plus it has a proper 3D camera this go around.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:39 am

Looks like Yakuza 3 is also get the Japanese DLC included on the disc, plus a separate disc that contains a soundtrack + character encyclopedia:

The good thing is, this is all included in the regular edition rather than being held back for a collectors edition.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:23 pm

So all the DLC stuff from day one on the disc then? Get in.

Still annoying that another of my favourite series' succumbs to the dreaded DLC curse though. Glad it won't be a source of anger when I get my hands on this though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm impressed they put it on the "normal" edition disc. In the USA I know some of the DLC is Gamestop Preorder exclusive so I expected something similar here. The all star tournaments sound awesome, the underground fighting arena is probably my favourite area in each of the series (Kenzan's fighting tournaments were amazing!). If not already mentioned before the game will be released here on March 12th (not long now :mrgreen: ). There is also rumours of the Japanese Yakuza 4 demo getting released the following week which is great.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Oh for christ's sake....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/sega- ... tion-plans

Looks like you get different DLC content based on whether you pre-order or not. What a load of wank.

I wish publishers/stores would stop doing this sort of rubbish! Just give us everything regardless of where you buy it or whether you pre-order! :evil:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:40 pm

I played the demo of this from the Japanese store on PSN and thought it was quite good but very similar to the first 2 games. I was disappointed by the gfx in particular as they looked rough as hell and really blurry. Of course the gameplay is what counts though and it did play quite nice, and the minigames are something to look forward to, I hear there's a shed load of things to do in the game.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:53 pm

I haven't checked out the demo yet (I'd rather wait to get the full game) but that sounds about right C=Style. Since the game still takes place mostly in Tokyo you still explore the same area as the first 2 games which while its nice to see a High Def vision of the city it does seem a little repetitive (Its worth noting while Yakuza 4 also uses the same city they have added sewers, rooftops and underground shopping malls into the mix to "expand" the city).

From what I've heard the graphics are a mixed bag. The surroundings and cities look impressive and the cutscenes look absolutely amazing but the npc's and other small details look almost like slightly upgraded PS2 graphics in places (again, Yakuza 4 is said to look better).

As for the whole pre order thing, its sure annoying though I have it pre ordered anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. Not that I care, I won't touch the multiplayer stuff anyway and the alternate costumes don't interest me (same deal as SFIV).

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:55 pm

It's just the principle of it though. All of my favourite franchises are getting ruined by this garbage and it annoys me.

optimus

Post by optimus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:03 pm

So does this mean a version from High Street SHop A will be differnt in content from High Street Shop B whilst version from High Street Shop C won't have either of the content that makes the other two different??

Quite frankly - thats a load of s**te!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:08 pm

optimus wrote:So does this mean a version from High Street SHop A will be differnt in content from High Street Shop B whilst version from High Street Shop C won't have either of the content that makes the other two different??

Quite frankly - thats a load of s**te!
The game is getting released with everything in my post above - the premium edition is the only edition thats getting released in Europe. Its just the pre order content that won't be available for all versions - even though its always been DLC in Japan so you might still just be able to download it on launch day anyway. Bear in mind it was free in Japan, I wonder if Sega has the balls to charge for it over here?

optimus

Post by optimus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:11 pm

ShadowMan wrote: Bear in mind it was free in Japan, I wonder if Sega has the balls to charge for it over here?
Would you be so surprised if they did?????? :?

Thanks for posting the info though. Enjoyed Yakuza 1 so PS3 version should be highly enjoyable.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:16 pm

optimus wrote:
ShadowMan wrote: Bear in mind it was free in Japan, I wonder if Sega has the balls to charge for it over here?
Would you be so surprised if they did?????? :?

Thanks for posting the info though. Enjoyed Yakuza 1 so PS3 version should be highly enjoyable.
Not really no, I'd just wish they wouldn't :(

I'd also recomend Yakuza 2 for the PS2 if you haven't played it already. In my opinion it fixed several gameplay faults with the first game (mostly gameplay/combat related) and its an awesome sequel.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:28 pm

ShadowMan wrote:I haven't checked out the demo yet (I'd rather wait to get the full game) but that sounds about right C=Style. Since the game still takes place mostly in Tokyo you still explore the same area as the first 2 games which while its nice to see a High Def vision of the city it does seem a little repetitive (Its worth noting while Yakuza 4 also uses the same city they have added sewers, rooftops and underground shopping malls into the mix to "expand" the city).

From what I've heard the graphics are a mixed bag. The surroundings and cities look impressive and the cutscenes look absolutely amazing but the npc's and other small details look almost like slightly upgraded PS2 graphics in places (again, Yakuza 4 is said to look better).
Yeah I wanted to say that lol but though I'd better not just in case it pissed some people off, but it really does look not far off a PS2 game to my eyes. That would not put me buying it though, it does sound like a great game.