Which System Killed the Arcade??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

joefish

Re: Which System Killed the Arcade??

Post by joefish » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:34 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
joefish wrote:Can I take a different tack and say House of the Dead (Arcade)? This for me was the first noticeable example of a game that was designed not for you to get better and better at, but just to take your money.
Presumably you're too young to have played Gauntlet then?
That's a big assumtion for these boards young fella...
No, I could actually last a while in Gauntlet - I certainly felt that I got 10p's worth of gameplay out of it.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:37 am

I dont think any system can really be credited with "killing" the arcade. I think its a number of factors.

1) Home systems like the Saturn and Playstation started offering games with much more depth and longer games (campaign, career modes etc), meaning that arcade games would come across as somewhat shallow in comparison. Nothing wrong with that, but if people had been playing time challenge Outrun style racing games for years and suddenly games like Gran Turismo came out that people could play at home and put more into the genre then surely thats going to sway things.

2) Arcade owners realised that a time came where fruit machines were much more profitable than arcade games. At our local arcade we could make a quid last for ages on games like Bubble Bobble, Tumble Pop etc where as a pound on a fruit machine (even on 10p per spin) would be gone in seconds. As much as I dont care for fruit machines (except "attract mode") if I had an arcade id fill it to the brim with £35 jp Deal Or No Deal machines and there wouldnt be a video game in sight. Ker-Bloody-Ching!

3) I think the time came that arcades had just run their course. Sad I know but I think things moved on. When at the seaside with my mrs in the summer the arcades were very much dominated with lightgun games and Guitar Hero arcade machines. In a way I think its a good thing because now if you stumble across one tucked away its like a little treasure. (found one in a shopping centre in Nottingham at Christmas. V small with a few cabinets, pinball machines and I think an air hockey table)

gamingafter40

Post by gamingafter40 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:07 am

I concur with a lot of the comments here. Arcade games had a great pick-up-and-play vibe -- they were meant to entice you, give you a taste, and end your game rather quickly. The good ones motivated you to put another quarter in; the bad ones didn't. But the format was inherently limited -- a game could not be continued unless done so immediately (SNK's memory card system was a rare exception) and operators wanted gamers to play, get good enough to have fun, and move on to another machine before they could monopolize it on a single token.

(Here in the US, we don't have fruit machines in arcades -- instead, ours have been taken over by ticket-redemption machines like Skee-Ball and Whack-a-Mole variations. Bandai-Namco and Sega are still in that business, if memory serves -- been a while since I've set foot in a "family fun center.")

The home game industry started out by aping the coin-ops, but eventually found its own way to titles with greater depth that simply didn't work well in arcades, but were more rewarding to the player. The laserdisc-era game Thayer's Quest was an attempt at a cabinet RPG, and it failed miserably -- a keyboard in an arcade just didn't fit. But at home, even on consoles, we've grown accustomed to compelling storytelling and complex, lengthy experiences.

Don't get me wrong, I love retro arcade games, but I'm not surprised that players in general have moved on. Arcade-style games are still fun for everyone in small doses -- but today, games like Bioshock and Mass Effect use arcade-style interludes to provide small, quick physical challenges as part of a broader gameplay experience. Dumping $50 into a coin-op arcade cabinet is rarely as satisfying as buying one decent full-scale modern game.
-- Dale at GamingAfter40 -- http://www.gamingafter40.com

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:33 am

No more sticky floors, the banning smoking and not making them the dimely lit dens of entertainment that they once were was the start of the system to decline! :cry:

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:35 am

STranger81 wrote:I dont think any system can really be credited with "killing" the arcade. I think its a number of factors.

1) Home systems like the Saturn and Playstation started offering games with much more depth and longer games (campaign, career modes etc), meaning that arcade games would come across as somewhat shallow in comparison. Nothing wrong with that, but if people had been playing time challenge Outrun style racing games for years and suddenly games like Gran Turismo came out that people could play at home and put more into the genre then surely thats going to sway things.
someone mentioned soul blade earlier,i loved that game in the arcades .
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

GunstarHero

Post by GunstarHero » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:20 am

I heard somewhere that theres a sega rally cabinet somewhere in the UK that has made hundreds and thousands of pounds over its life. Really can't remember where though, this was a few years ago!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:19 pm

I used to meet up with hundreds of mates in the local arcades. None of us had anything in common - and we certainly never tried to hang out together outside the arcades - but inside... Inside...

We were all friends.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Fred83 wrote:yup ps1,i remember the hype behind it all,the "arcade perfect" ports was enough to wow everyone,although they werent exactly arcade perfect,the jap saturn port of darkstalkers is ment to be arcade perfect..
Not entirely sure since I've never had the fortune to stumble across any Darkstalkers arcade cab. Only the second and third games were ported to Saturn with the third game Vampire Saviour requiring the 4MB RAM expansion. Not sure if even that made it arcade-perfect though. Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3 on the Saturn used the 4MB RAM too and was apparently very, very close to being arcade perfect.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:50 pm

harlequ1n wrote:Home conversions of Street Fighter II.

Thats not a bad shout actually! Thinking back, I used to cycle all the way to my local arcade to play Street Fighter II, but when I got my SNES with SF II, I never did it again!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Good call with SFII , but tbh I think many stopped going to the arcades with the advent of the Playstation. Not because games were as good or better in the home (they never have been), but because for the first timesince the 1970s. it became socially acceptable (for the first time since the 70s) to play games in the home - even have a console in the living room .
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:22 pm

There have been so many good points made already in this thread. I will throw my ore in. First up it was not one system that killed the arcade but many things. The comments about arcade operators is spot on, they got greedy. Ramping up the difficulty and the cost, also not spending a penny on maintenance of the cabs or the arcades. It it just sad, when the coin pushers and “fruit” arches came into play that was the end off it for me. Next up we have the end off seaside holidays in the UK, most seaside towns had at lest one arcade full off machines (I know I am from a seaside town). However when we all started going to Spain that killed most off them off now, they only people I see holidaying in seaside towns now are OAPS and pikeys it is just sad. Next up is the cost off the machines I know that a street fighter 4 cab can be as high as £20,000 when you can fill an arcade full off coin pushes for a lot less. Finally we haver home systems, in the US it started with the 2600 and moved on from there. In the UK it was a similar story, it started with home computers (48k,464,C64) who was going to spend 50p per game when you could own a game for £1:99. Then came the consoles with each generation off them less and less people were spending money in the arcades but on home versions off the same games. IE Namcos ridge Racer on the PS1 or one off the “arcade perfect” games on the Dremcast. I head a quote not that long ago on the retro gaming round-up pod-cast, it was from the owners off Fusspot in the US (the largest arcade in the world) they said (more than once) “that they do not buy new arcade machines as they is NO money in them” That quote sum it all up for me. Arcades R.I.P
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:40 pm

<sigh> reading through this thread again, makes me remember the Ridge Racer arcade machine at Meadowhall, Sheffield, which was basically a huge car which you could even have a passenger in! Ace!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:40 pm

bonerlaw wrote:<sigh> reading through this thread again, makes me remember the Ridge Racer arcade machine at Meadowhall, Sheffield, which was basically a huge car which you could even have a passenger in! Ace!
Not quite as good as the 4 player StarBlade one, I think it was StarBlade anyway, they had. You were accompanied in by an attendant when you played that :D
Splink!

alcockell

Post by alcockell » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:12 am

Hmm - funny you should mention the death of the arcade. It's successor seems to have come in with HMV and Gamerbase joining forces...

Have a look at these articles...

http://www.hmvgroup.com/media/view.jsp?id=1205

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:25 am

felgekarp wrote:
bonerlaw wrote:<sigh> reading through this thread again, makes me remember the Ridge Racer arcade machine at Meadowhall, Sheffield, which was basically a huge car which you could even have a passenger in! Ace!
Not quite as good as the 4 player StarBlade one, I think it was StarBlade anyway, they had. You were accompanied in by an attendant when you played that :D

:shock: Forgot that one! Played it once.......came first by a mile! Yeah! Not sure it was starblade, think it was Gradius or something like that